Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A curiosity, and a question that needs answering. . . why is the first critical Homepage article on the films, the only one with a disclaimer?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 24 2012, 7:13pm

Post #26 of 46 (423 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it has ever been intended that way. [In reply to] Can't Post

But there are a small number of posters who think it ought to be. That's why expressing a critical opinion can sometimes run the risk of getting your head bitten off. Tongue

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 24 2012, 7:16pm

Post #27 of 46 (430 views)
Shortcut
I wondered about that, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

The impression I got, however, was that it was the rest of the TORn staff who wanted to distance themselves from Ostadan's views, and not that they feared any repercussions from WB or PJ.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 7:22pm

Post #28 of 46 (435 views)
Shortcut
Tim [In reply to] Can't Post

You are a voice of sanity crying in the wilderness.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 7:27pm

Post #29 of 46 (387 views)
Shortcut
In ancient times it would have been a case for Ostacizing! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 24 2012, 7:28pm

Post #30 of 46 (374 views)
Shortcut
I see what u did thar. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2012, 7:57pm

Post #31 of 46 (378 views)
Shortcut
Thankyouverymuch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

mcmojo
The Shire

Aug 24 2012, 8:22pm

Post #32 of 46 (356 views)
Shortcut
Look harder... [In reply to] Can't Post

The disclaimer is the second paragraph of both of those links that Carne posted. I'm not sure how much clearer it could be. If you miss it, you are probably trying to miss it.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 24 2012, 8:23pm

Post #33 of 46 (386 views)
Shortcut
If you're really interested in knowing the answer, [In reply to] Can't Post

email Ostadan at his @theonering.net address and find out from the source.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 24 2012, 9:22pm

Post #34 of 46 (377 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! Thank You, TORN staff! [In reply to] Can't Post

my first reading was . . . hmmm . . . guess it was 1970.
Yikes, that made me feel old! Wink

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 10:58pm

Post #35 of 46 (306 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been here since the First Age, and I'm not much of a PJ fan. I enjoyed the movies, but I had a lot of problems with them too, (I've been complaining about the cave troll for eleven years now, and most of TT for almost as long) and I have never felt that voicing my complaints put me in any kind of peril. I know of several other old-timers who would probably say the same thing. The thing I've always felt here is that these boards are a family. We might squabble sometimes, but there's a huge amount of love, a lot more than you'd find almost anywhere else on the Internet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 24 2012, 11:02pm

Post #36 of 46 (285 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me: [In reply to] Can't Post

it's about time for me to hit that donation button again. As Gramma would say, "zooom!"

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Aug 24 2012, 11:20pm

Post #37 of 46 (262 views)
Shortcut
Good Idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 24 2012, 11:48pm

Post #38 of 46 (296 views)
Shortcut
Go back to the other articles and read the second paragraphs! [In reply to] Can't Post

As other people have said, look at the articles again! The disclaimer is there for all three articles!

Gorbag
Rivendell

Aug 25 2012, 12:06am

Post #39 of 46 (293 views)
Shortcut
This bothers you? Really? Mind-blowing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Itís sad to see people try to make up some kind of tin-foil hat theories about a few lines on an article. I just donít get it. Itís as if they are trying to create a division where there isnít one.

I also donít think you should be telling volunteering staff how to write their own articles and how they should adjust them.

I donít know if this is simply a case of people not having much to discuss in regards to The Hobbit, but really this is a non-starter.

ďI don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.Ē - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Gorbag on Aug 25 2012, 12:10am)

acheron
Gondor

Aug 25 2012, 12:56am

Post #40 of 46 (261 views)
Shortcut
*rimshot* [In reply to] Can't Post

http://instantrimshot.com/...nd=rimshot&play=true

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2012, 1:09am

Post #41 of 46 (272 views)
Shortcut
I am not here because I worship PJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the movies but have disagreed with portions of them. I've read quite a lot of folks on this site who don't like Jackson's adaptions. I think I've actually read more that disagree with the vast majority of his vision rather than gush about how perfect PJ's adaptions are. I'm a book first person, I'd be here regardless of the movies. The fact that there is a very active 'Reading Room' was an early indication to me that this site was about Tolkien more than the films. Anyway, to steal a line from the immortal Stan Lee, 'read on true believers'....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 25 2012, 1:23am

Post #42 of 46 (361 views)
Shortcut
It's an editorial [In reply to] Can't Post

...so, that disclaimer is just standard language for an editorial posted by a guest. I mean, think about it - if TORn was somehow in WB or PJ's back pocket, wouldn't we disallow such editorials altogether instead of posting them with a standard disclaimer? Really, guys. Crazy

And, no, TORn does not have a contract with WB, 3 foot 6, WETA, or anyone else, nor have we, as a site, signed anything, including a non-disclosure agreement (though some of our staff who have been on set have had to). It's a constant give and take relationship with us constantly pushing the boundaries, and someone related to the production very, VERY occasionally pushing back (and they're usually doing that to every other website who tries to get away with spy pics, etc.). I can say without exception that they have never, ever asked us to tone down editorials, or any stories that are anti-anything, nor have we shied away from pushing every boundary we can.

Now, please excuse me while I wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes for reading some of the odd-ball theories here! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 25 2012, 5:50am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 25 2012, 4:46pm

Post #43 of 46 (251 views)
Shortcut
One more important thing [In reply to] Can't Post

The founders of this site, and the majority of the staff, are huge fans of Tolkien, of PJ and of PJs Lord of the Rings movies, and are excited out of our skins about the Hobbit movies. None of us could have done what we do for so long if we felt more negative than positive about any of those things and, frankly I hope no one would dedicate a large chunk of their too-short life-span to something they felt negative about.

We do have occasional critical guest editorials like the one being referred to, and don't shy away from posting news that's less than flattering to the production. We also allow free discourse on those not so flattering topics. All points of view and discussion are welcome here as long as it's respectful and follows our ToS.

However, the overriding mission of TORn is to be here for people who are just as excited about Tolkien and, yes PJ, LOTR movies and The Hobbit as we are, and we're NOT going to apologize for that. We'll continue to have as friendly a relationship with WB and PJ as we do with the Tolkien Society, Tolkien archives and Bodleian Library. We'll continue to post upbeat stories along with occasional critiques and less flattering news as it arises. We'll add disclaimers to whatever stories our editors want to and we're not going to apologize for that either. We'll continue to welcome constructive criticism, and will continue to ignore rudeness, or demands that we, who have devoted over a decade of our lives to put together the best Hobbit/Tolkien/PJ/Movie combo site on the web, do anything.

We know we can't be everything to everyone, and we're not even going to try. But, we've had a ton of success being what we are, and that's pretty darned good if you ask me. I don't meant to sound harsh, and this is meant as a general statement and is not directed to anyone in particular, but if our love of PJ and his movies, our excitement about The Hobbit, or our website and how we run it is intolerable and frustrating to anyone, what in the world are you doing here? If it's not intolerable, then accept that TORn will be who we are and continue to do what we do best and if you have constructive ideas, please let us know!

Now, I don't know about any of you, but I'm going to get out from in front of this computer, go outside and enjoy life; then I'm going to come back and enjoy Tolkein/PJ/LOTR/Hobbit and TORn when I return! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

cameragod
Lorien

Aug 25 2012, 9:28pm

Post #44 of 46 (206 views)
Shortcut
so now that is sorted and we have the facts [In reply to] Can't Post

Can we expect apologies to the people who run this site from the OP and others who have been making ridiculous and inaccurate claims or will they just wait for their next chance to attack with their fantasy conspiracy theories?

BTW thanks to TORn and its founders for all their good work :-)

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

cameragod
Lorien

Aug 26 2012, 12:06am

Post #45 of 46 (199 views)
Shortcut
so [In reply to] Can't Post

No apologies then for the false accusations and conspiracy's. How very sad.
I do wonder what is the point of some coming here to discuss things when they can't ever admit to being wrong.

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Sep 1 2012, 2:00pm

Post #46 of 46 (253 views)
Shortcut
Disclaimers n stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

There's the technical explanation:

I began doing it when I posted some Greenbooks guest posts recently. I felt it made sense -- they were guest posts. No, they don't necessarily reflect what TORn thinks. End of story.

I think Calisuri subsequently felt my idea was a good one. So he ran with it and felt it should extended it to any individual staff editorial that's wasn't "TORn editorial".

That's the technical why.

More broadly, I think it just makes sense. As a whole, TORn doesn't editorialise much and this is a smart, easy way to make that differentiation for people.

I guess you could says that TORn is broadly supportive.

But within that, staff hold a quite broad spectrum of opinions.

You only have to read some of the group posts we do to see we don't always agree -- even within the same post!

Finally, if we were really in PJ's pocket (and ergo felt critical opinions were blasphemous), we never would have reported that animals death story. But, more than any number of silly rumours, stupid hoaxes and cool spy photos, that was important. So we did.

Best

Demosthenes

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.