Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - August 23

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 23 2012, 10:25am

Post #1 of 11 (181 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 23 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 23, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The dwarves surrender when surrounded by Elves, but Bilbo uses ring and disappears.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...after the battle with the spiders Bilbo and the dwarves made one last despairing effort to find a way out before they died of hunger and thirst... ...when suddenly out sprang the light of many torches all round them, like hundreds of red stars. Out leaped Wood-elves with their bows and spears and called the dwarves to halt.
...There was no thought of a fight. Even if the dwarves had not been in such a state that they were actually glad to be captured, their small knives, the only weapons they had, would have been of no use against the arrows of the elves... ...So they simply stopped dead and sat down and waited—all except Bilbo, who popped on his ring and slipped quickly to one side. That is why, when the elves bound the dwarves in a long line, one behind the other, and counted them, they never found or counted the hobbit.
...Nor did they hear or feel him trotting along well behind their torch-light as they led off their prisoners into the forest... ...Bilbo had all he could do to keep up with the torches, for the elves were making the dwarves go as fast as ever they could, sick and weary as they were...
......Across this bridge the elves thrust their prisoners, but Bilbo hesitated in the rear. He did not at all like the look of the cavern-mouth and he only made up his mind not to desert his friends just in time to scuttle over at the heels of the last elves, before the great gates of the king closed behind them with a clang."

August 23, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo prepares to leave Bag End.
(not from the appendices)
..."'Merry Brandybuck is looking out for a nice little hole for me, or perhaps a small house.'
...As a matter of fact with Merry's help he had already chosen and bought a little house at Crickhollow in the country beyond Bucklebury. To all but Sam he pretended he was going to settle down there permanently. The decision to set out eastwards had suggested the idea to him; for Buckland was on the eastern borders of the Shire, and as he had lived there in childhood his going back would at least seem credible."

August 23, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The company has parted from the King Elessar
..."Soon the dwindling company, following the Isen, turned west and rode through the Gap into the waste lands beyond, and then they turned northwards, and passed over the borders of Dunland. The Dunlendings fled and hid themselves, for they were afraid of Elvish folk, though few indeed ever came to their country; but the travellers did not heed them, for they were still a great company and were well provided with all that they needed; and they went on their way at their leisure, setting up their tents when they would..."

August 23, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Shire still recovers
..."Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvellous year. Not only was there wonderful sunshine and delicious rain, in due times and perfect measure, but there seemed something more: an air of richness and growth, and a gleam of a beauty beyond that of mortal summers that flicker and pass upon this Middle-earth."

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 23 2012, 7:40pm

Post #2 of 11 (89 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh, Tolkien! [In reply to] Can't Post

...a gleam of a beauty beyond that of mortal summers that flicker and pass upon this Middle-earth.

There's a good reason the Professor is my favorite writer of all time. Heart Evil Smile

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 24 2012, 12:32am

Post #3 of 11 (73 views)
Shortcut
He has so many of these [In reply to] Can't Post

wonderful imageries that transports you... it's hard to just stop and drink them in. Thank you for this :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 24 2012, 2:45pm

Post #4 of 11 (88 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 24-September 6, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo tries to adapt to life in hiding.
..."Poor Mr. Baggins---it was a weary long time that he lived in that place all alone, and always in hiding, never daring to take off his ring, hardly daring to sleep, even tucked away in the darkest and remotest corners... ...he took to wandering about the Elven-king's palace. Magic shut the gates, but he could sometimes get out, if he was quick. Companies of the Wood-elves, sometimes with the king at their head, would from time to time ride out to hunt, or to other business in the woods and in the lands to the East. Then if Bilbo was very nimble, he could slip out just behind them... ...which was not very often... ...He did not wish to desert the dwarves, and indeed he did not know where in the world to go without them.... ...He was hungry too outside, for he was no hunter; but inside the caves he could pick up a living of some sort of stealing food from store or table when no one was at hand.
..."I am a burglar that can't get away, but must go on miserably burgling the same house day after day... ...I wish I was back in my hobbit-hole by my own warm fireside with the lamp shining!" He often wished, too, that he could get a message for help sent to the wizard, but that of course was quite impossible; and he soon realized that if anything was to be done, it would have to be done by Mr. Baggins, alone and unaided."

sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 25 2012, 2:03am

Post #5 of 11 (93 views)
Shortcut
I can't imagine the Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

not being at least a bit confused by the disappearance of food here and there! Laugh

"I could have sworn there was one more apple-tart in this cupboard..."
"Weren't there four slices of venison on this plate?"
"Hm, I thought I had put more apples on this tray..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 25 2012, 1:58pm

Post #6 of 11 (75 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 25, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. All of Hobbiton whispered and wondered at Frodo's announcement to move to Buckland.
..."...But so firmly fixed had the notion of the immeasurable wealth of the Bagginses of Bag End become that most found this hard to believe, harder than any other reason or unreason that their fancy could suggest: to most it suggested a dark and yet unrevealed plot by Gandalf. Though he kept himself very quiet and did not go about by day, it was well known that he was 'hiding up in the Bag End'. But however a removal might fit in with the designs of his wizardry, there was no doubt about the fact: Frodo Baggins was going back to Buckland.
...'Yes, I shall be moving this autumn,' he said. 'Merry Brandybuck is looking out for a nice little hole for me, or perhaps a small house.'"

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 25 2012, 2:02pm

Post #7 of 11 (69 views)
Shortcut
Well... as a former sneaky girl [In reply to] Can't Post

from a big family, you don't feed off of one spot. A very little here... and handfull there... spread out your impact area and they really don't notice ;)

*whispers* Did I say that out loud? Don't tell my sisters & bro!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 26 2012, 12:06pm

Post #8 of 11 (72 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 26, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
..."In the Southfarthing the vines were laden, and the yield of 'leaf' was astonishing; and everywhere there was so much corn that at Harvest every barn was stuffed. The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sign: 'Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!'"

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2012, 9:58am

Post #9 of 11 (62 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 27, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Company makes its way north.
..."...Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep [Elrond, Gandalf, Celeborn and Galadriel] would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labours in the world, or holding council, concerning the days to come. If any wanderer had chanced to pass, little would he have seen or heard, and it would have seemed to him only that he saw grey figures, carved in stone, memorials of forgotten things now lost in unpeopled lands. For they did not move or speak with their mouth, looking from mind to mind and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro."

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 28 2012, 11:17am

Post #10 of 11 (72 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 28, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo searches out each Dwarf's cell
..."Eventually... ...by watching and following the guards and taking what chances he could, he managed to find out where each dwarf was kept. He found all their twelve cells in different parts of the palace, and after a time he got to know his way about very well. What was his surprise one day to overhear some of the guards talking and to learn that there was another dwarf in prison too, in a specially deep dark place. He guessed at once... ...that that was Thorin; and after a while he found that his guess was right."

August 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They overtake Saruman
(from the appendices)
..."...As they came out again into open country at sundown they overtook an old man leaning on a staff, and he was clothed in rags of grey or dirty white, and at his heels went another beggar, slouching and whining.
...'Well Saruman!' said Gandalf. 'Where are you going?'
...'What is that to you?' he answered. 'Will you still order my goings, and are you not content with my ruin?'
...'You know the answers,' said Gandalf: 'no and no. But in any case the time of my labours now draws to an end... ...But will you scorn our help? For we offer it to you.'
...'To me?' said Saruman. 'Nay, pray do not smile at me! I prefer your frowns. And as for the Lady here, I do not trust her: she always hated me, and schemed for your part. I do not doubt that she has brought you this way to have the pleasure of gloating over my poverty...'
...'...Saruman,' said Galadriel, 'we have other errands and other cares that seem to us more urgent than hunting for you. Say rather that you are overtaken by good fortune; for now you have a last chance.'
...'If it be truly the last, I am glad... ...for I shall be spared the trouble of refusing it again. All my hopes are ruined, but I would not share yours...'
...'...Go!' he said. 'I did not spend long study on these matters for naught. You have doomed yourselves, and you know it. And it will afford me some comfort as I wander to think that you pulled down your own house when you destroyed mine. And now, what ship will bear you back across so wide a sea?' he mocked. 'It will be a grey ship, and full of ghosts.' He laughed, but his voice was cracked and hideous..."

......As the wretched pair passed by the company, they came to the hobbits, and Saruman stopped and stared at them; but they looked at him with pity.
...'So you have come to gloat too... ...my urchins?'"

2. Saruman turns towards the Shire.
(from the appendices)
..."Saruman laughed.... '...you hobbit-lordlings, riding along with all those great people, so secure and so pleased with your little selves. You thought you had done very well out of it all, and could now just amble back and have a nice quiet time in the country. Saruman's home could be all wrecked, and he could be turned out, but no one could touch yours. Oh no! Gandalf would look after your affairs... ...But you must go dangling after him, dawdling and talking, and riding round twice as far as you needed. "Well," thought I, "if they're such fools, I will get ahead of them and teach them a lesson. One ill turn deserves another..." ...And it will be pleasant to think of that and set it against my injuries.'"

sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2012, 2:22am

Post #11 of 11 (54 views)
Shortcut
So, so sad [In reply to] Can't Post

How the once-wise Saruman has fallen. Everything is everyone else's fault, he's done nothing wrong, he prefers to wallow in self-pity.

He's become the type of person who walks into a room and sucks the joy out of it...Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.