Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Concerned About Peter Jackson's Health
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 23 2012, 8:41am

Post #26 of 39 (2493 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me, or is this [In reply to] Can't Post

one of the weirdest threads ever? I am finding the whole conversation deeply strange.

And I guess I should respond to this part of the first post:
I thought it would be appropriate to deliver such a public expression, and see if others here would feel comfortable doing so as well.

My response is, no, I do not think it's appropriate, and no, I do not feel comfortable.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 23 2012, 1:22pm

Post #27 of 39 (2461 views)
Shortcut
I have no doubt the Production team.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hired a Nutritionist on Staff..to help PJ
keep a Sustained high level of energy.

I would not doubt meals are served to him
so he can stay in his Tent going over shots
communicating with WETA, with Andy, with
the CGI staff, the Sound effects staff,and
Howard halfway around the World.

We saw. This Video conferencing.
in the production diaries from the
EE's this, in Action.

Tintallė
Gondor

Aug 23 2012, 1:54pm

Post #28 of 39 (2460 views)
Shortcut
Me too, on both counts. [In reply to] Can't Post

Weird thread. Inappropriate expression of concern. Uncomfortable.

It's perfectly okay to be a Jackson fan and to express appreciation for his work. Anything personal or private is absolutely none of our business.

I have no doubt that the man is perfectly aware of his weight gain and the associated health risks.

MTRougeau
Bree

Aug 23 2012, 3:40pm

Post #29 of 39 (2449 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Genuine as the concern may be, this crosses the "creepy" line. There are just some things that should not be said except in intimate, private conversations with a person and definitely not indirectly through a public forum. I think the earlier post about us being fans, not friends, sums it up nicely. We have no place to say anything on the matter.

Patty
Immortal

Aug 23 2012, 5:10pm

Post #30 of 39 (2437 views)
Shortcut
As usual, Silverlode, you express my feelings nicely. [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks in the mirror. He controls his weight as he sees fit. He doesn't need my input one way or another, because though I admire his work we don't have a relationship.

Permanent address: Into the West

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 25 2012, 3:29am

Post #31 of 39 (2366 views)
Shortcut
LOVE your footer! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 25 2012, 3:38am

Post #32 of 39 (2375 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit board made me resurrect it. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Aug 25 2012, 5:47am

Post #33 of 39 (2362 views)
Shortcut
Seconded. // [In reply to] Can't Post

But you are what you love,
And not what loves you back.
And I'm in love with illusions
So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks
So pull another rabbit out your hat.

kiwifan
Rohan

Aug 25 2012, 11:31am

Post #34 of 39 (2389 views)
Shortcut
You said it, Silverlode! [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a similar thread about a year ago, and frankly I'm getting tired of this topic since it really is not our business. Being a fan doesn't give us the right to speculate on such a personal issue, much less interfere. He's an adult, for heaven's sake, not a small child who needs parental guidance.

Anyone who feels concerned about his state of health ought to include him in their prayers or send him good vibes or light a candle for him or whatever strikes your fancy.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 26 2012, 3:44am

Post #35 of 39 (2396 views)
Shortcut
This thread was an expression of concern, NOT guidance [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not telling PJ what to do. He is an adult, and he can make his own decisions. That is obvious.

The background on this is that I was inspired by a death in my family due to weigh-related illness, as well as a similar expression of concern, buried in another thread on another site.

I can stand being criticized for my offerings, but being so heavily lambasted for a genuine expression of concern was not something I expected.

Ah, well. C'est la vie.

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 26 2012, 3:29pm

Post #36 of 39 (2360 views)
Shortcut
The reason you're getting these reactions [In reply to] Can't Post

is because you wrote this:

I thought it would be appropriate to deliver such a public expression, and see if others here would feel comfortable doing so as well. In my view, sometimes a bit of uncomfortable nudging from the outside can help in the long run, even though it might hurt in the short term.

If you'd stopped short of that paragraph, it would have read as an expression of concern alone, but this bit made it sound like "let's all tell PJ what to do," and that's what people are objecting to. That may not have been your intent but that's how it came across.

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 26 2012, 3:30pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 27 2012, 6:38pm

Post #37 of 39 (2313 views)
Shortcut
Fully understood [In reply to] Can't Post

And I apologize. I did not intend for that statement to be seen that way.

Primarily because there is a significant difference between friendly 'nudging' and 'telling someone what to do.' The first is the imparting of advice based on what you feel you would do in the person's situation. That advice can be rejected, or shrugged off, without much discomfort.

The second is the demand that the person do what you say they should do, because your opinion on the matter is somehow superior. I did not do that, and do not appreciate the implication that this is what I was doing.

A better way to have responded, IMO, would have been to inquire about my intentions rather than assume I was being insensitive. Smile

But again, I think I may not have chosen my words as carefully as I should have, and I apologize.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 28 2012, 10:17pm)

MTRougeau
Bree

Aug 28 2012, 2:33pm

Post #38 of 39 (2333 views)
Shortcut
But the imparting of advice..... [In reply to] Can't Post

is the reason your post was met with almost universal disapproval. Who are we to offer advice on a person's weight, especially when we don't personally know him? It's just......odd. It crosses a certain social line that shouldn't be crossed. I don't think you were being insensitive at all, and actually I don't think you even came off as insensitive. You just came off as a social line crosser, ha. :)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 28 2012, 6:21pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 28 2012, 3:22pm

Post #39 of 39 (2344 views)
Shortcut
very true [In reply to] Can't Post

A better way to have responded, IMO, would have been to inquire about my intentions

it would change a LOT of discussions on this board if people responded to posts with "this is how I took what you said; is that how you meant it?" before flying away with their initial reaction. But speaking as someone who has been trying for decades to get my family to do just that and failing entirely, I don't think it's going to happen.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.