Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?

deej
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2012, 1:53pm

Post #1 of 21 (347 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

Patty
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 3:46pm

Post #2 of 21 (180 views)
Shortcut
Journey to the Center of the Earth. [In reply to] Can't Post

in 3D.

A cutish movie that I will probably only watch a time or two more with the grandkids. We purchased it because it was supposed to have killer 3D effects, but I saw little of that, though lot of "depth". When those weird fish jump out of the water that's pretty awesome.

I can't wait for Netflix to start renting 3D discs. I don't want to have to buy them.

Permanent address: Into the West

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 3:55pm

Post #3 of 21 (164 views)
Shortcut
not really any [In reply to] Can't Post

on DVD or in theaters, anyhow.

I just wanted to make a quick follow up on my watching the cop series, Second Sight, with Clive Owen. I've decided I really didn't like it. And I am not one who makes shows jump to a high bar for me to feel entertained.

It had this concept of the guy experiencing vision problems - blurry vision to the point of being legally blind combined with hallucinations. He was trying to hide this while still solving crimes. But, for all the attention they gave to this problem, it didn't really have anything to do with him solving crimes. He did solve them. But the vision problems didn't enhance it in any way nor seem to be too extreme of an obstacle. So, what was the point?

I think it was the last episode that clinched it. They seemed to hone in on a supernatural/horror-ish element from the beginning (of the episdoe) and his hallucinations tapped into this. In the end, his hallucinations had nothing to do with reality and played nor part in his solving the crime. And there was no supernatural element to the solution. So what was the point in having these fairly long scenes where he's experiencing the hallucination (all scored by this kind of jazzy music that drove me nuts). To me, it seemed the only point of these long-ish scenes that had nothing to do with the crime or the solution of the crime was to kill some time with a scene that didn't need any writing.

I don't do it often but it got a 'didn't like' in my Netflix rating.

And, although I didn't see any movies on DVD or in the theater, I did see a few on TV that were outside my normal range. I don't have cable but there have been quite a few new broadcast channels added in my area. One (or more? - can't keep straight which I'm watching sometimes) has been getting some better movies than they had in the beginning (lots of old movies and movies I'd never heard of in my life)

As I worked at my computer on Saturday, I watched The Butterfly Effect with Aston Kusher. It wasn't half bad. It was an interesting premise and I think they pulled it off pretty well.

Then yesterday, The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain was on. Unfortunately, I was fixing dinner so I didn't get to see the whole thing (I had seen it before) but I enjoyed the opportunity to catch what I could. Having some Welsh heritage and being involved (at times) with the St. David's Society here in town, I would watch anything set in Wales. It was unfortunate they felt the need to cast three non-Welsh actors in the top three Welsh roles. And some might say it was unfortunate that they cast Hugh Grant at all - although I quite enjoy Hugh. He is what he is and he does it well. He doesn't ask more of himself and I don't either! :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 20 2012, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 21 (199 views)
Shortcut
The Bourne Legacy, The Hurt Locker [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed "The Bourne Legacy" so much I went back and saw it again. A worthy successor to the "Bourne" trilogy and Jeremy Renner is great in the lead role as Aaron Cross, the agent-from-a-different-program who is forced to go on the run when TPTB decide to burn not just Treadstone but his program as well. (The events of this movie are happening at the same time as the events of the last Jason Bourne movie.) He's a very different character from Jason Bourne, and eventually we find out why in a twist that adds an extra dimension to the movie and his performance. I also enjoyed that he's not the usual leading-man type: he's short and kind of ordinary-looking, even less "handsome" than Matt Damon. But as with Damon, it doesn't matter; he's got a powerful screen presence that keeps you riveted on him.

(He kind of reminds me of Sam Neill actually - not classically handsome but who cares?)

I've noticed there's a trend in movies lately to pair the action hero with a brainy woman, and in this case it's Rachel Weisz as a research scientist also slated to be "burned" because of her involvement in the program. Aaron saves her because he needs her help. Renner and Weisz have great chemistry and create a slow but believable arc where mutual suspicion becomes mutual need, then trust, and finally affection. The last scene is very sweet.

The movie zips by and it was a surprise to realize it was over!

Because I was so taken with Renner's performance, I rented "The Hurt Locker" as well, and I see why he was nominated for an Oscar. Excellent movie about the addictive quality war and risk-taking have for some men. Anthony Mackie was also great in that; Ralph Fiennes pops up in a brief but memorable role.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

shirehobbit
Rivendell

Aug 20 2012, 6:59pm

Post #5 of 21 (151 views)
Shortcut
The Hunger Games!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had gone to see it in theaters with my cousins, 2 of my uncles, my dad, my sister, and my aunt. Me and my sister have been counting down the days till it would come out. We actually watched it twice yesterday because the first time it skipped over a huge chunk, so we returned it and that night watched the new one we got which skipped over the EXACT same part. For those of you having trouble to, it was from when Katniss was in the tree right before the fire ball attack, up to her night in the tree with Peeta and the careers holding her siege from bellow. Anyone else having that problem?
We also watched Gnomeo and Juliet, which is pretty cute.

(This post was edited by shirehobbit on Aug 20 2012, 7:00pm)

shirehobbit
Rivendell

Aug 20 2012, 7:03pm

Post #6 of 21 (149 views)
Shortcut
I love the Bourne movies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen the new one yet, but I can't wait to. It's weird that I love the movies, because I actually haven't even seen the first one yet. I suppose I should make an effort to see that one soon, or I might forget that I haven't even seen it.
So glad to hear that the new one is so good.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 20 2012, 7:25pm

Post #7 of 21 (179 views)
Shortcut
Magic Mike, and Avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

Magic Mike was *not* my choice, but heck - a male dance revue? That couldn't be hard to watch! But while the dance scenes were pretty good, the movie as a whole was really boring. MM is a big fat fail.

So I cleansed my palate with Avatar. The actress who plays Neytiri (name-blank) has such a lyrical physicality to her - she really sold the reality of the alien character. And I'd love to visit a luminous forest. Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 20 2012, 11:04pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 20 2012, 7:48pm

Post #8 of 21 (137 views)
Shortcut
Zoe Saldana [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always a little surprised when I see her in other roles and she's human; she was so real as Neytiri.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2012, 8:12pm

Post #9 of 21 (137 views)
Shortcut
I felt she should have been considered for an Oscar [In reply to] Can't Post

Her acting really shone through the CG motion capture that depicted her character. The same with Andy and Gollum and Caesar.

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 20 2012, 8:15pm

Post #10 of 21 (153 views)
Shortcut
Maybe soon [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe soon the academy will be ready to hand out rewards to performances by the Andy Serkis/Gollum kind, but it doesn't look like they are ready for it just yet, which is a pity. I think Andy could at least have gotten a nomination.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Aug 20 2012, 8:16pm)

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Aug 21 2012, 1:09am

Post #11 of 21 (159 views)
Shortcut
Moonrise Kingdom and The Last Ride [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Moonrise Kingdom! Wes Anderson's work may be an acquired taste, but it is one I happened to rapidly acquire through Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and The Darjeeling Limited, all of which I enjoyed.

Anderson's got Quirky™ down pat, and Moonrise Kingdom was no different in that regard, but it was somehow warmer, more affectionate, more poignant than the other Anderson movies listed. Yet the story and characters never became overly sentimental or twee.

The story really unfolded like a fairy tale — a New England island as secondary world with a lighting (filter?) quality like a slightly faded Polaroid photograph. The cast (Frances McDormand, Ed Norton, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Bruce Willis and the kids, especially the kids — Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman as Suzy and Sam) was wonderful. And the soundtrack! I loved it! This is a movie I will watch again.

Unfortunately, The Last Ride is not of that watch-again species. I saw this under the auspices of On Demand. It's an Australian indie film (2009) in which a man (Hugo Weaving), who has committed a violent crime, is on the lam with his young son across the stark Australian landscape.

Weaving's acting was decent enough (given what he had to work with in the script, and he was excellent at portraying a troubled guy), but the landscapes often upstaged him. The long meaningful silences were sometimes, well, too long and bogged down the narrative. The film could have used better editing IMO.

The film was reminiscent in some ways of The Road (adapted from Cormac McCarthy's novel), but grimmer (if that can be imagined) in certain ways. Weaving's character had anger and violence beneath the surface, so, yes, disturbing.

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

Patty
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 3:14pm

Post #12 of 21 (111 views)
Shortcut
While I very much agree with this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd even more like to see the stunt performers get a look in. They sometimes even put their lives at risk. But I don't think the academy is going to budge on either of these two deserving categories.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2012, 4:05pm

Post #13 of 21 (119 views)
Shortcut
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel [In reply to] Can't Post

which was delightful. I took my daughter and my mother-in-law, and we all enjoyed it, although it was a mite predictable. What a great cast. And Maggie Smith steals every scene she's in. Also to note, Bill Nighy can say so much without saying a word.

I also took the g'son to Wimpy Kid 3: Dog Days. Not as good as the first one, IMO, but then the main characters are getting a little bit too old to credibly play middle school kids, but it did have some funny parts and the g'son enjoyed it. He has all the books and has seen all 3 movies now. I haven't seen #2 but feel no pressure to.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 21 2012, 9:57pm

Post #14 of 21 (142 views)
Shortcut
The Odd Life of Timothy Greene [In reply to] Can't Post

Both my grown daughter and my husband commented, as the credits rolled, "We didn't bring nearly enough kleenex."

But we loved it. Not as much as "Moonrise Kingdom", but it was still pretty sweet.

We liked that for a fantasy movie, it seemed really rooted in reality. There was a lot of humor, and a lot of pathos. And a very, very cute little boy.

I had to chuckle at this reaction video of two little boys wailing over the movie. (Spoilers in the link):link

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 21 2012, 10:01pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 11:48pm

Post #15 of 21 (133 views)
Shortcut
I saw a teaser for that video (of the boys crying) for the news [In reply to] Can't Post

but didn't know what they were crying about. I'll have to go watch it.

We are leaving in just a few minutes to go watch Moonrise Kingdom at the second run theater near me. I'm going mostly because so many people here have loved it. I have seen a few of Anderson's other movies and liked them well enough.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 22 2012, 1:39am

Post #16 of 21 (106 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to hear what you think of MK after you see it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 22 2012, 3:53am

Post #17 of 21 (117 views)
Shortcut
this will be hard to articulate [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a tendency to take things in like vapor. I read an article I like and I process it as both the ideas on the paper and all the places the ideas take my brain and all the feelings I feel and all the feelings I've felt that were related and maybe I understand them differently.

It can think it's the best article in the world and not be able to tell you what it was about. Because, in my head, it was about a ton of stuff - ancient thoughts and new, sprouty thoughts and clear thoughts and nebulous thoughts.

I can react to movies like that, too and, imo, Wes Anderson invites the viewer to do just that. Sit in that seat and let this vapor swirl around you. But I don't process it in a way that language works well for expressing.

I liked it. I've liked the other movies of his I've seen. But I can't say I love them. I want to be in that house, I can tell you that right now. The Mister said the rooms fascinated him because they couldn't fit in that house... it was like a Tardis. And that seemed right because it was charming how Anderson played with perspective. I'm not sure if I was suppose to get something from that. If so, it eluded me. I also got the continual Noah and the flood references. Again, not sure if I was supposed to get something from that. :-)

I liked the characters a lot. I missed a little of the dialog and that might have interfered with my reckoning of the movie. I'm not sure if I'd take the time to rewatch it on DVD - I think I might if the DVD had some nice extras that helped me understand the movie more. But most DVDs rented by Netflix don't anymore. But I suspect I might get more out of it the second or third time around.

What did you think about it? Did you write about it in another post?

imin
Valinor

Aug 22 2012, 4:52pm

Post #18 of 21 (103 views)
Shortcut
The Bourne Legacy [In reply to] Can't Post

Was not expecting that much from this - was better than i expected but i feel not as good as the previous Bourne movies. I felt like it ended around 2/3 of the way through the movie - no real third act which made a few people i heard in the audience go 'is that it?!' even though it was around 2hr 15min.

I liked the start/first hour where he was in the mountains and we were learning things about him. I am not a fan of Jeremy Renner - its not his fault - his acting is fine its just something about him i dont like, i think it could be because the first movie i saw him in was the hurt locker and i didnt like his character in that and for some reason it has kinda stuck with him onto different roles, stupid i know and hasnt really happened with other actors but like i said its just something i dont like, lol.

Saying all that he was better than i thought and its probably my favourite role i have seen him in and that from me is a big compliment as i love matt damon as jason bourne. I think he made a good lead of the movie and rachel weisz was great as ever - so beautiful as well i may add :P She was the clever scientist to Jeremy's brains and brawn. Preferred Rachel over whoever plays Nicky Parsons from the previous Bourne movies.

I wish they cut some things down and gave the movie a third act as everything seemed so unresolved but im guessing that will all have to wait for bourne number 5! Just hope if there is some kind of fight to see who is the best - Bourne comes out on top :)

Overall 6.5/10

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 22 2012, 5:18pm

Post #19 of 21 (95 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, here's my review. I'm not very good at figuring out why I like a movie. It just grabs me or it doesn't. This one did. Maybe because the little boy reminded me a bit of my son. And because the dry humor reminded me of my mom.

By the way, I tried watching the Royal Tenenbaums, (sp?) and didn't care for it. I did like Mr. Fox, though.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 22 2012, 5:19pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 22 2012, 7:28pm

Post #20 of 21 (119 views)
Shortcut
Not movies, per se... [In reply to] Can't Post

I located copies of the Blade and Wolverine Marvel anime series at Barnes & Noble and picked them up. Currently watching Blade, who works well in the South-east Asian setting of the series. The plot of the Wolverine series seems to echo the Frank Miller/Chris Claremont miniseries of years back (Logan in Japan in search of a lost love), but I haven't watched any of that yet.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Patty
Immortal

Aug 23 2012, 5:06pm

Post #21 of 21 (120 views)
Shortcut
Aunt Dora, please PM me and tell me... [In reply to] Can't Post

how this movie ends. I kind of want to see it, but I see great potential for a sad ending, and if so, I may give it a miss.

Thanks!
Patty

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.