Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My Dear TheOneRing kindred, how fast thou dost retreat from the lines you draw in the sand, concerning The Hobbit
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Dlanor da Great
Rivendell

Aug 20 2012, 6:21pm

Post #76 of 85 (132 views)
Shortcut
Yes I know, I was being sarcastic as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 20 2012, 9:22pm

Post #77 of 85 (107 views)
Shortcut
I am inclined to agree with you on this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Burton is not incapable of truly charming fare, when kept in check, as it were. lol.

In Reply To
I think Burton could have made a fine adaptation of The Hobbit, as long as he was surrounded by the right creative personnel. The man has two decades' worth of great films under his belt. Just keep Linda Woolverton and Seth Grahame-Smith away and you're good to go.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Phibbus
Rohan

Aug 20 2012, 9:35pm

Post #78 of 85 (101 views)
Shortcut
Yes, could we [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Can we please rise above this people?

You could set a better example than that post.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Aug 21 2012, 12:24am

Post #79 of 85 (91 views)
Shortcut
No agenda [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm nervous about how the films will turn out, but until we actually see the film, how do we know that some of the things we've heard will be in it? I understand your concern, The Hobbit is a great book, and no one wants a crappy adaptation of it. I won't try to change your opinion, you seem dead set on it, and I'm not hardput to think the film's are going to be a catastrophe, but the way you're going on, it sounds like you forcing your opinion on others, and it sounds like silly hippie protesting. Try to look at this a little differently and chill.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 21 2012, 12:41am

Post #80 of 85 (89 views)
Shortcut
Silly hippie... [In reply to] Can't Post

now you have offended me and a good portion of my generation. Silly hippy protesting, indeed.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2012, 1:20am

Post #81 of 85 (84 views)
Shortcut
So your telling me Bay isn't a multi million dollar making director? [In reply to] Can't Post

Many people consider his films very good ( not me ) but many people do, Heck Stanley Kubrick could have made them for all I care... Point being you can take any talented director and make these films with the support crew Jackson has. Where I have the problem like I have said hundreds of times is Jackson's personal need to change what Tolkien wrote for the sake of his own vanity. Which has nothing to do with the spirit of Tolkien. It has to do with meddling where there do not need to be changes made. Peter Jackson thinks himself a talented writer which he's not that talented compared to hundreds of screen writers all over the world. His LOTR were at their weakest when he deviated from what Tolkien wrote and made up his own fan fiction to insert into the films (Witch King breaking Gandalfs staff,... anyone?, Aragorn being dragged off a cliff by a warg?, How about Denethor doing a half mile sprint to jump off Minas Tirith, while on fire?) all quality scenes to be sure Crazy

People can love PJ's fan fiction all they want but it will never be Tolkien in any regard. Not even close. I realize that there are a bunch of people just happy to return to middle earth and be shown everything because they have no imagination, and can't fill in the gaps for themselves. (I was making a general statement and insinuated nobody in particular, but if you feel guilty)

I guess when I get heated its a bad thing and out of line but apparently when people take PJs side they can insult others opinions all they want or call those beliefs less valid then those who worship Peter Jackson. I really don't care if anyone likes my opinion, at least it stays the same and doesn't change. I don't flip in the breeze just because I have to accept what happening with it. Personally I don't like the direction they are going with the films it takes the feel and tone out of Tolkien material which last I checked was the Hobbit not tales from Middle earth.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Aug 21 2012, 2:43pm

Post #82 of 85 (66 views)
Shortcut
Can you see any bird crap? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wizards covered in Bird crap?

Nope me neither. Sly

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2012, 5:17pm

Post #83 of 85 (53 views)
Shortcut
well it is a publicity ahot [In reply to] Can't Post

Reports from Cinema con. said he has bird crap on him and in his beard

Oin K
Rivendell

Aug 22 2012, 9:25pm

Post #84 of 85 (49 views)
Shortcut
1) There's no point in complaining about things we can't change. 2) Most of us are determined to *enjoy* these films when they are finished. [In reply to] Can't Post

These two factors are more than enough
to explain the constant shifting

from gripes about things that might happen
to grudging acceptance of the more questionable choices,
to enthusiasm as we speculate about the changes
and how they might actually enhance the movie's storytelling.

We all love the source material,
but we're also looking forward to an epic tale
based in that world and based around those sources.

I, for one, will withhold judgment on any changes
until after I've actually seen the damned thing.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

warhorse

Aug 28 2012, 1:17am

Post #85 of 85 (95 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, I'm one of those people! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never heard of Lord of the Rings until the first movie came out. I tried to read the books, but I just didn't care how they were written, and got real board with all of the songs and poems. But, it's nothing new for me, I'm one of the rare few that actually prefer the movies over the books anyways. Movies have a tendency to cut out all of the fluff, and get right to the point, most of the time.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.