Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
How many years of the sun passed between the Awakening of The Elves and The Noldor's (Led by Feanor) return to Middle Earth?

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 18 2012, 12:08pm

Post #1 of 3 (3903 views)
Shortcut
How many years of the sun passed between the Awakening of The Elves and The Noldor's (Led by Feanor) return to Middle Earth? Can't Post

A question that has bothered me for several months, although I have read the Annals of Aman, and vaguely recall a figure of 3500 years between the Noldor's leaving and return to Middle Earth, I can't recall a specific figure between the two events listed above.

I'm also still kinda confused on which system Tolkien settled on to convert years of the trees into sun years-Was it 30, 144 or 9?

Can anyone shed any light?

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 19 2012, 3:52am

Post #2 of 3 (3467 views)
Shortcut
I think the dates are... [In reply to] Can't Post

1050 to 1497, and the ratio is 1 Valian Year = 9.582 Sun Years

This is the ratio Tolkien had in mind when he wrote the Annals anyway (both Aman and Grey). Later he was musing about 144, but we don't certainly know if JRRT meant this notably larger figure to simply plug back into the existing chronology as it stood (and see Christopher Tolkien's notes to the text Aman in Myths Transformed, Morgoth's Ring) -- if one simply does that, the time it took the Exiled Noldor to pass into Middle-earth (for example) becomes notably long.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2012, 1:30pm

Post #3 of 3 (3767 views)
Shortcut
Currently 150 views... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and no one did the math yet (if my dates are correct). Including me Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.