Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
35mm negatives processing question

Radhruin
Rohan

Aug 17 2012, 2:57am

Post #1 of 6 (160 views)
Shortcut
35mm negatives processing question Can't Post

Magpie's question below prompted me to mine the seemingly bottomless depths of knowledge here on TORn:

I recently found 35mm negatives of pictures that I thought were lost forever from a college trip to Europe. The box that I packed the prints in way back when I was 18 somehow disappeared between the dorm and home, when I moved back. I was thrilled yesterday when my mother called to say that the negatives popped up in a trunk that my parents had at their house.

Question: These pictures are very valuable to me *now*, and I would like to have high quality prints and digital images from the negatives if possible. The negatives look to be in very good shape, and don't show any moisture or heat damage. Where should I go to get the best results? I live in a small town, but have access to Wal Mart, Target, Walgreens, etc...

Any suggestions?

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 17 2012, 4:45am

Post #2 of 6 (73 views)
Shortcut
Do you have any Ritz Camera / Proex stores up there? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd try checking into them before Walmart or Target.

Also, try asking at high end camera shops. They might know where photographers go for services.

It's possible you might end up shipping it somewhere.

Back in the dark ages, when we took our cross country trip in 1976, we'd prepay for our film processing by buying an envelope we mailed the film in to Kodak. They'd mail the film back - only we put my mother's address as the return address. She saw all the pictures from that trip before we did!

Kodak is pretty much a done deal, but there may be processing houses in the Twin Cities that can handle it.

Not that that is professional advice in any way. I was a hobby photographer back in the day and gave it up when I had kids. I wanted to be engaged in their lives.. not recording it. That, and the theft of my nice camera.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 17 2012, 4:45am)

Tigero
Rivendell

Aug 17 2012, 8:40am

Post #3 of 6 (60 views)
Shortcut
Ask from your local camera club [In reply to] Can't Post

If there's still some real photographers there. If they shoot film, they propably also have developing equipment. And you are sure to have high quality print, properly washed photographic paper lasts forever.

Pessimists have no disappointments.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 17 2012, 2:53pm

Post #4 of 6 (44 views)
Shortcut
The Walgreens in my town does that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose it depends on the individual store as to whether or not they still do film. But I have taken film there and have been pleased with the results. They'll put the images on a disk, too. Good luck! At least you have the negatives.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Radhruin
Rohan

Aug 20 2012, 3:55am

Post #5 of 6 (39 views)
Shortcut
Well, mothers know everything anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly if you don't want them to. I certainly learned that in high school! : )

Thanks for the advice, I think I will pick my niece's brain also. I forgot that she is at SCSU in some graphic arts/photography program. She may know of a camera shop in St Cloud.

Radhruin
Rohan

Aug 20 2012, 3:58am

Post #6 of 6 (56 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the help and advice folks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.