Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A few hiking photos

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 14 2012, 6:44am

Post #1 of 16 (233 views)
Shortcut
A few hiking photos Can't Post

We haven't been able to do as much hiking as usual this summer, due to family obligations. But today I did one of my favorites, Flattop Mountain. It was windy and rainy so I didn't take as many photos as usual. But here are a few

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 14 2012, 2:47pm

Post #2 of 16 (95 views)
Shortcut
Lovely photos :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

What elevation is this at, and is it the same place as the Unicorn? Smile Wish I had places like this around me!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 14 2012, 3:20pm

Post #3 of 16 (96 views)
Shortcut
About 12,000 feet in elevation [In reply to] Can't Post

and about five miles from the Unicorn photo, as the crow flies. That photo was also at about 12,000 feet. But there's a canyon that reminds me of Rivendell in between them.

I've got lots of high country photos here and here and here

When you come to NCAR, we'll have to make a trek up to the park :-)

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 14 2012, 3:28pm

Post #4 of 16 (87 views)
Shortcut
Yes, definitely! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The scenery in these pictures is stunning, would definitely like to take a walk. That picture has a very Rivendell feel to it.

This photo is one of my favourites in your folders. Reminds of me of the Misty Mountains (and slopes) in Winter. Perhaps Fangorn, or even the eves of Mirkwood.

I've not looked through of all them yet, but a lot of them have a very Middle-earth feel to them. Thanks for sharing Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 14 2012, 4:20pm

Post #5 of 16 (86 views)
Shortcut
The mountain on the right in that photo [In reply to] Can't Post

is the one I climbed yesterday. There used to be a snowfield on it that lasted all year long, but lately it's been melting completely in August.

I originally uploaded that photo at the request of Silneldor, but I can't remember why now. Something about snow blowing off the peaks.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 14 2012, 4:25pm

Post #6 of 16 (86 views)
Shortcut
They feel like Middle Earth to me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

This place always makes me think of Lothlorien when the aspens are golden.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 14 2012, 4:25pm)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2012, 4:34pm

Post #7 of 16 (107 views)
Shortcut
May I share a hiking photo of my own? [In reply to] Can't Post

A few weeks ago, the NottaSackvilles snuck into Aunt Dora's neighborhood (the Rangers apparently weren't beating the bounds very well). During our visit, the my little hobbit Nottettes (11 and 9), Mrs. Notta-in-law and I managed to climb Mount Chiquita.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to catch up, Aunt Dora - we were based in Estes, but traveling all around CO visiting friends & family in Boulder, Vail, & Steamboat - too much to do in that part of the world!

Below is a picture of my hobbits & I at the summit:

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

(This post was edited by NottaSackville on Aug 14 2012, 4:35pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 14 2012, 4:38pm

Post #8 of 16 (91 views)
Shortcut
Great photo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember when I dragged my adult couch-potato son up Mount Chiquita. When we got back, his sister asked him how it was, and he intoned in a voice of doom: "Thirteen. Thousand. Feet."

Sorry to have missed you, but glad you got to have a great time :-)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2012, 4:42pm

Post #9 of 16 (92 views)
Shortcut
It's hard not to have a great time out there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think the hike was probably a bit more than the girls were ready for, but I'm sure they'll never forget it! Cool One of them can't wait to do more, the other can't wait to never do it again.

Notta

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 14 2012, 5:40pm

Post #10 of 16 (81 views)
Shortcut
Your girls look about the right age [In reply to] Can't Post

to enjoy bandanna toys on hikes. My sister and I used to make puppets and dolls out the bandannas we always had along on hikes. (I especially remember a grueling hike up Specimen Mountain (no longer, alas, accessible) that we weathered by playing with Martian Princess puppets, formed by tying a knot in one corner of a bandanna and putting a finger into the knot to form a simple puppet. ) I still haven't outgrown them. Anna Bandanna goes on all my hikes with me these days.

I have a few instructions here (scroll to the end for Anna Bandanna) and here and here and here

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 14 2012, 5:52pm

Post #11 of 16 (91 views)
Shortcut
Lots of good photos today! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only Aunt Dora's, but yours as well, Notta. Mountains are wonderful, aren't they? As The Gaffer and I winged our way into Seattle last month, we almost fell out of the plane admiring Mount Rainier. I was muttering, "Mountains, Gandalf! Mountains!"

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15 2012, 1:42am

Post #12 of 16 (92 views)
Shortcut
The critters are posing for you - again! [In reply to] Can't Post

How close were those marmots to you? They were probably looking for a handout! Laugh

And what is the "Keyboard of the Winds"? Does it really make different sounds as the winds go over it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 15 2012, 1:14pm

Post #13 of 16 (67 views)
Shortcut
They were about four feet away. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they were looking for handouts, though it's usually the chipmunks that are the most aggressive in that department.

Keyboard of the Winds is the name of those spires of rock to the right of Longs Peak. I've always loved that name. Apparently the wind does sing through them, though I've never been close enough to hear it.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 15 2012, 1:16pm)

kiwifan
Rohan

Aug 18 2012, 6:06pm

Post #14 of 16 (73 views)
Shortcut
Marmots only four feet away? Incredible! [In reply to] Can't Post

They must be half tame? Marmots in the Alps are very shy, I've heard, that's why I'm so amazed at their proximity to you.

I think this marmot photo is my favourite Smile!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 22 2012, 4:53pm

Post #15 of 16 (40 views)
Shortcut
I've GOT to go on a walk with you guys someday :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 22 2012, 5:08pm

Post #16 of 16 (63 views)
Shortcut
The animals in the park are pretty tame. [In reply to] Can't Post

The park is a hundred years old, and there's no hunting. And people sometimes give in to beggars (especially chipmunks) and feed them bits of their lunch. You often see elk wandering through downtown Estes Park, grazing on the flowers. The marmots usually just ignore people, but these two seemed to be interested.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.