The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Ferret-panted wizard"? (!)

Oin K
Rivendell

Aug 12 2012, 11:08pm

Post #1 of 14 (1457 views)
Shortcut
"Ferret-panted wizard"? (!) Can't Post

I hadn't seen this little nugget discussed anywhere, and it's always fun to speculate excessively over tiny tidbits casually uttered, SO...

Sylvester McCoy (a.k.a. our dear Radagast the Brown) just recently joined Twitter, and I had to chuckle at his little biographical blurb:

Spoon player and ferret-panted wizard

As soon as I was done chuckling at that and at his comical avatar, I began to idly wonder if there was any truth to that snippet. Does Radagast keep ferrets in his trousers? Shocked

Of course, this is probably just a tongue-in-cheekism, especially given the unbelievably strict non-disclosure agreement he's evidently had to sign! Laugh

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 12 2012, 11:10pm

Post #2 of 14 (891 views)
Shortcut
I think his pants are made of ferret hide. [In reply to] Can't Post

He already strokes hedgehogs and hides birds in his hat and beard. Surely he can't house ferrets in his trousers too?

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 11:13pm

Post #3 of 14 (879 views)
Shortcut
I trust no one is hoping to make fun of this fine old Yorkshire tradition? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very disappointed that the Olympic committee decided, in the final analysis, not to include it after all.

LR

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 13 2012, 1:09am

Post #4 of 14 (804 views)
Shortcut
This reminds me of a May West line.................// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 13 2012, 1:32am

Post #5 of 14 (796 views)
Shortcut
Gosh . . . I hope his pants aren't made of ferret . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked
. . . doesn't sound very 'Raddy' to me!

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 1:38am

Post #6 of 14 (880 views)
Shortcut
I think you're misunderstanding the quote. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sylvester McCoy originated as a persona known for, among other things, stuffing ferrets down his trousers. From his Wikipedia page:

He came to prominence as a member of the comedy act "The Ken Campbell Roadshow". His best known act was as a stuntman character called "Sylveste McCoy" in a play entitled An Evening with Sylveste McCoy (the name was coined by actor Brian Murphy, part of the Roadshow at the time), where his stunts included putting a fork and nails up his nose and stuffing ferrets down his trousers, and setting his head on fire. As a joke, the programme notes listed Sylveste McCoy as played by "Sylveste McCoy" and, after a reviewer missed the joke and assumed that Sylveste McCoy was a real person, Kent-Smith adopted this as his stage name.

So in this quote, he's just added "wizard" to his resume. The spoons and ferrets down the trousers was already part of it. It's not a sure indicator that either spoons or ferrets will feature in The Hobbit.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 7:10am

Post #7 of 14 (735 views)
Shortcut
You never know! [In reply to] Can't Post

After his animals die, it would be a waste not to use them.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 7:11am

Post #8 of 14 (735 views)
Shortcut
Well, I never knew that! Thanks Silverlode :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 13 2012, 8:43am

Post #9 of 14 (727 views)
Shortcut
You got a Ferret in your pants [In reply to] Can't Post

or are you just happy to see me?Evil

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 13 2012, 8:55am

Post #10 of 14 (729 views)
Shortcut
That doesn't sound right... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's supposed to love animals. I can't imagine him wearing a dead one. Could be wrong... were there any dead animals in Rhosgobel?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 13 2012, 8:58am

Post #11 of 14 (729 views)
Shortcut
Unless they do it as an easter egg type reference... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Boromir saying "Sharp". But probably not.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 9:07am

Post #12 of 14 (718 views)
Shortcut
I was only joking ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

But it does make sense as well. Why let a bunny or a ferret go to waste? Radagast may want to re-use them. What else would he make his underwear from?

Unless he's a vegetarian...

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Aug 13 2012, 11:39am

Post #13 of 14 (719 views)
Shortcut
What a multi-faceted entertainer! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never knew all of that!

I think I remember a reference to someone keeping ferrets in his pants in the film Withnail and I - which has nothing to do with Sylvester McCoy, but I thought I'd randomly mention it. :)

Phibbus
Rohan

Aug 13 2012, 2:41pm

Post #14 of 14 (716 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

His pants are made of live ferrets?

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.