Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Old boards

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 6:22pm

Post #1 of 18 (335 views)
Shortcut
Old boards Can't Post

Just came across the link the old boards in the FAQ - but just get a single page when I click on it. Is there any more or is it just the final few messages as a scent of the madeleine?

Cheers

LR

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 12 2012, 6:36pm

Post #2 of 18 (158 views)
Shortcut
Probably a lack of maintenance [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't noticed that. I imagine the old boards are now in the equivalent of the corner of the attic of the site gathering dust. I'll ask Corvar about it. I'm not able to get into the guts of the old boards and fix/change anything like I can with the new ones.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 6:53pm

Post #3 of 18 (172 views)
Shortcut
Ah well I don't want to be any trouble [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a little nostalgic curiosity and so forth!

Thanks
LR

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2012, 9:46pm

Post #4 of 18 (168 views)
Shortcut
One other favour. [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been brought to my attention that the site linked to in my post here

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=480278#480278

Contains some pop up adverts for a horror film which may be unsuitable for all. Coukd you add a note to the post for me as the edit window has passed.

Many thanks again.

LR

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 12 2012, 10:03pm

Post #5 of 18 (158 views)
Shortcut
That's why I block pop-ups [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to the site to get an idea of how bad it was and didn't see anything. I guess my pop-up blocker is working. Smile

Nevertheless, I added an advisory to your post.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2012, 10:42pm

Post #6 of 18 (171 views)
Shortcut
The individual threads on the Old Boards [In reply to] Can't Post

are, for the most part, still accessible, and I've got some links to collections of them. It's not like being able to browse those Boards, but you can still find some "oldies but goodies" here:

Altaira's call for "favorite links", November 2007: http://archives.theonering.net/...5CE02F9000037CE.html

Entmaiden's Share Your Bookmarks I from June 2005: http://archives.theonering.net/...2BA3251000E3872.html

Entmaiden's Share Your Bookmarks II from June 2005: http://archives.theonering.net/...2BE1B26000E3A76.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 13 2012, 12:04am

Post #7 of 18 (144 views)
Shortcut
Thanks and [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I don't get them either so I'm not sure but thanks for making certain.

LR

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 12:25am

Post #8 of 18 (140 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just looked at my thread from 2007 the other day. I assumed the link to it didn't work any longer either. I'm so glad to see it still works, and I'd forgotten about entmaiden's threads.

I've updated the "TORn Links and Archives" thread on the Welcome board with all three of the links you posted, as well as updating it with a few other things (Mathom-House, gramma's geeky observations, etc.).

Thanks for bringing them together in one place. Smile

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 13 2012, 12:37am

Post #9 of 18 (162 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating stuff - especially Tauriel from 2003! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really interesting to see a user here at TORN with that name as far back as that. Have I missed that the name is canon or is there some origin link back to here, I wonder?

LR

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 2:33am

Post #10 of 18 (128 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're welcome - and this is proof that it pays to clean up one's bookmarks every now and then, I'd re-discovered them when consolidating my Tolkien bookmarks a couple of weeks ago. Smile

(Remember your weekly Bilbo's Brainteasers? I've got links to the ones I made up, when subbing for you...I ought to re-post those, every now and then!)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 3:02am

Post #11 of 18 (155 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

about the origin of that name; I don't think there's a character in any of Tolkien's writings by that name, but it's definitely based on the Elvish "taur", meaning "wood"!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 6:47am

Post #12 of 18 (136 views)
Shortcut
I love it when you go all geeky B-) [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's definitely based on the Elvish "taur", meaning "wood"!

Laugh

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 7:06am

Post #13 of 18 (146 views)
Shortcut
Wow ... well that is strange! [In reply to] Can't Post

2003 you say. Maybe this is PJ's username Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2012, 10:59am

Post #14 of 18 (135 views)
Shortcut
Nah... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's just a matter of reaching over to the bookcase here and pulling out the Sil and looking through its' index! Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 12:00pm

Post #15 of 18 (179 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel registered on the new boards, too [In reply to] Can't Post

although it looks like reconnecting with TORn didn't happen as she might have anticipated. But in her initial thread here, she introduced herself. Unless PJs got a whole, elaborate cover identify... it isn't him. :-)

I checked to see if she had ever posted in one of those 'tell us about your username' threads. She hadn't.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2012, 10:01am

Post #16 of 18 (149 views)
Shortcut
From Denmark apparently [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple of her posts indicate.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 25 2012, 4:56am

Post #17 of 18 (113 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, that's interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet there's a good story there. Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 25 2012, 11:57am

Post #18 of 18 (180 views)
Shortcut
Do you remember [In reply to] Can't Post

"Tauriel's Very Thorough Guide to Posting Pictures on TORn"? Its url is:

http://home9.inet.tele.dk/esholm/Ditte/Pichelp/TORn-picturehelp.htm

But it appears to be no longer accessible. Is the ".dk" for Denmark?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.