Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Late Answers

sador
Valinor

Aug 19 2012, 4:13pm

Views: 102
Shortcut
Late Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

A. Doesn’t the phrase “old Gollum” convey a kind of folksiness to the character?
Yes. But later we learn that he is really old.

B. Is slimy metaphorical or literal here?
Didn't Aragorn describe him as "covered in green slime" when he caught him? You have a better case in ignoring this than in denying balrog's wings, IMO.

C. Does this mean he has what we would call black skin (or deep brown, whatever)?
That's what I assume. As did Bakshi and Jackson. But in LotR he is described as pale.

D. Again, is Tolkien being metaphorical or literal here?
There doesn't seem to be any extranous source of light.

E. What other meat does Gollum like?
Raw.

F. What do you think?
Well, of course he does. As you've pointed out.

G. Why doesn’t the Great Goblin, who seems like a rather responsible monarch, show more curiosity, or guts, in solving this mystery?
Good question!
I also wonder - had Gandalf not rescued the Dwarves and Bilbo so flamboyantly, would the Great Goblin have made bilbo a slave, and sent him off to fish? Maybe he was destined to find the Ring no matter what.

H. How does he do that? This place has no light whatsoever.
That's he's no goblin? Smell. "see" is metaphorical.

I. Or not … what do you think?
I like your UUT that this recalls baptism - although I doubt that Tolkien would have meant that.
And yes, Gollum is cute - which to me makes him more terrifying.

J. Who exactly gave him that name?
His grandmother, or his funny friends with whom he played riddles over the long years.

And does Bilbo really jump to the conclusion that this thing is “named” Gollum, even though the thing never calls himself that?
Okay. Maybe this is just the name Bilbo gave him, and the 'good folk' used after him?

K. Did Tolkien consider having this guy self-refer as “my dear”, “my sweet”, or “my goodness”, which are near-equivalents?
I don't think "my goodness" is slf-refering. And "precious" sounds more like a spoiled brat - which might be just what he originally was.

The latter is even more ironical, and also has the same ‘-ss’ ending allowing for the lisping gag.
But the "dn"in the middle makes it harsh, while "precious" glides softly.

L. Would a more modern Gollum call himself “babe”?
Oy.
I hope not.

M. Is this particularly plausible to you? Because, given the particularly shaky calorie pyramid that Gollum sits at the top of, it isn’t to me.
Unlike the trolls, he had no means of preserving meat.
And after all, fish are plentiful.
And anyway, a long conversation is a good way to build up an appetite.

N. Isn’t it classic Bilbo to give his full name as a dignified introduction, even in the absurd and panicked situation he is in?
Yes. Very comic. And formalities do gain time - as Thorin tried to do just in the previous chapter.
But one wonders, in such a case - how did he learn not to give his true name to Smaug? Or was the "Thief! Baggins! We hates it!" at the end of this chapter a rude awakening?

Is Gandalf being fair?
Is he ever?

O. Is this over-the-top coy writing?
Once again, buying time. Also, he wasn't sure Bilbo quite knew what the sword was, and how to use it; knowing your sword's lineage indicates that you know something about it. (Quite wrongly in bilbo's case, but how would Gollum know that?)

P. Was it the information that, yes, it is a sword – or the information that it came from Gondolin – that changes Gollum’s approach?
The fact that Bilbo knows it.

Q. Are you enjoying Tolkien’s mix of quiet comedy and comfy adventure?
I'm not sure the third is quite a gag - as I've written before, this is a way to whet an appetite.

But yes, i enjoy Tolkien's writing very much.

How does he achieve the balance – what are his methods?
Had I known, I might have tried my own hand at this!

R. Does this description remind you more of a kind of slimy Wind in the Willows setting, with Gollum, Moley, Frog and Badger, rather than some riverine Shire as was later retrofitted onto this story?
Now that you say so, it does.
And it also fits well with the world of Watership Down.

S. Is “pity staying his hand”, so that Bilbo doesn’t just stab Gollum now – after hearing the creature’s opening words be a guess whether he’d be a “feast” or a “morsel”?
Fear is. After all, Bilbo never has used the sword.

T. Is it a common game among English children in Tolkien’s time? I certainly never had heard of anyone playing it when I was a kid in the U.S. in the 1960s and was hearing this story for the first time.
I suppose it belong more to the mediaeaval tradition.

"This chapter seems to be full of movement—slowly and deliberately (then less so) down hills; scrambling up trees-- then up, up, and away into the Eagles’ eyrie; and down, down back to the ground.
Flora, fauna, food, fear, and flight are featured..."
- batik

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for a somewhat less clever discussion of Out of the Frying Pan-into the Fire!

Subject User Time
** The Hobbit, “Riddles in the Dark”** 2. – Deep down here by the dark water lived old Gollum squire Send a private message to squire Aug 10 2012, 10:19pm
    ssome reactionsss telain Send a private message to telain Aug 11 2012, 11:21pm
    ssome more reactionsss telain Send a private message to telain Aug 11 2012, 11:41pm
    Bless us and...what? dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Aug 14 2012, 12:30am
    Late answers FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Aug 14 2012, 12:01pm
    A few thoughts dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 15 2012, 2:33pm
    Late Answers sador Send a private message to sador Aug 19 2012, 4:13pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.