Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Fun Comic Drawing of Beards

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2012, 1:19pm

Post #1 of 15 (1284 views)
Shortcut
Fun Comic Drawing of Beards Can't Post

http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=9&q=the+hobbit+movie&offset=192#/d48ntmv

Laugh

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 9 2012, 2:54pm

Post #2 of 15 (663 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

The interesting thing is that people are continually singling out Thorin and Fili, yet rarely ever mentioning Kili, who has but a small goatee, and Bombur, who has much less of a beard than Thorin.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 3:04pm

Post #3 of 15 (688 views)
Shortcut
Kili is the "pretty dawrf" as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Which probably explains why we don't like him. Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 9 2012, 3:05pm

Post #4 of 15 (640 views)
Shortcut
Meant to say [In reply to] Can't Post

The interesting thing is that people are continually singling out Thorin and Kili, yet rarely ever mentioning Fili, who has but a small goatee, and Bombur, who has much less of a beard than Thorin.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 3:10pm

Post #5 of 15 (647 views)
Shortcut
I read over Fili! Didn't even realise! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Macfeast
Rohan

Aug 9 2012, 3:22pm

Post #6 of 15 (691 views)
Shortcut
In regards to Kli... [In reply to] Can't Post

..I think it's mostly that he's the most egregious one out of the dwarves with lacking beards - a beardless dwarf is a bit more notable than a dwarf with a little less than a full beard - so he gets to shoulder all the flak; "How can you complain about Bombur's beard, when Kli doesn't even have one?" Maybe not entirely fair, as there are others that are lacking (as you say), but....

As for Thorin, I think the objections are not so much "no dwarf should have that small a beard", as it is "no dwarf of his importance should have that small a beard."; A minor dwarf with a beard like that would probably be better received (I think his would have made a pretty good "young dwarf-beard", actually), but for the major dwarf, the dwarven king, and one of the three major characters, to be lacking in the visual dwarven traits...in my eyes, it would be like people looking at Frodo and going "is that a Hobbit? Really?" It's a little more notable when the most important dwarf is lacking in dwarven (visual) traits, rather than a minor dwarf.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Aug 9 2012, 3:24pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2012, 3:30pm

Post #7 of 15 (626 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Fili is more hairy and looks better i think...Bombur, i have to disagree, unless i am mistaken, his beard is quite big! Its just that its wooven into this long beard ponytail around his torso...

A bit like Dori who appears not to have such a huge beard like balin or bifur but in reality its just the beardo that gives that impression..

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2012, 3:33pm

Post #8 of 15 (618 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally i dont mind his beard not being as long as balins...probably suits him better like this...to me he looks majestic and royal...all i wanted from Thorin...actually i was very surprised with his looks, but in a good way...

Macfeast
Rohan

Aug 9 2012, 3:40pm

Post #9 of 15 (619 views)
Shortcut
On another note. [In reply to] Can't Post

The picture is hysterical. PJ stealing Thorin's beard is funny enough, but Kli admiring his look makes it even funnier Laugh

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2012, 3:44pm

Post #10 of 15 (603 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, Kili, the Hope for all Dwarves who seek a new Jesus to point the way for a Beardless Revolution!

Dwarven Concert at The Green Dragon. Benefit musical solos to revert for the Beardless Dwarves Foundation.Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 9 2012, 4:55pm

Post #11 of 15 (606 views)
Shortcut
Another mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to say Bofur, not Bumbur! Smile

One more time:

The interesting thing is that people are continually singling out Thorin and Kili, yet rarely ever mentioning Fili, who has but a small goatee, and Bofur, who has much less of a beard than Thorin.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2012, 5:13pm

Post #12 of 15 (577 views)
Shortcut
ui [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob, the premiere is approaching and you need to know those names correctly on the tip of your tongue!Wink

JDRobinson

Aug 10 2012, 7:41pm

Post #13 of 15 (511 views)
Shortcut
I agree, but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you Macfeast. It would seem logical that the beard on Thorin would be longer given who he is and all. That was until I saw that last video blog. I think Jackson is using the beards on Dwarves as a symbol of status. It looks to me that Thorin has "beard dangles" in the new video blog. That would be from the "flashback" before Smaug. I think because Thorin is disgraced, his beard has been cut short, or at least he lost the "dangles". I just think this would be an interesting aspect to Dwarven culture in Jackson's films. You grow your beard long and ornate when you prove yourself in battle and cut it short if you are disgraced or in anguish.

Macfeast
Rohan

Aug 10 2012, 8:02pm

Post #14 of 15 (597 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

At first, I thought it was just the braids of his hair (as in this shot), but after having a second look at the segment I'm guessing you're referring to, I noticed a second pair of "dangles"; You might be right.

Either way, it may make sense within the story, but that doesn't change the fact that I wanted to see a long-bearded Thorin. I echoed the same sentiment about Din before he was cast (and also Glorfindel and Tom Bombadil in the Trilogy), saying that I would have been disappointed if he was cut, no matter how much sense it may have made. So, still disappointed.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Aug 10 2012, 8:09pm)

tannni
The Shire

Aug 12 2012, 4:59pm

Post #15 of 15 (779 views)
Shortcut
nice art [In reply to] Can't Post

I love yours nice art.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.