Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Geriontus The Old Took and his splendid Midsummer's Eve parties long ago. . . or The Long Expected Party in Fellowship.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 8 2012, 11:16pm

Post #51 of 75 (434 views)
Shortcut
I think, perhaps, both a foreshadowing and an inspiration [In reply to] Can't Post

for Bilbo remembered and loved, even as a middle aged man, Gandalf's fireworks. Remembered them better than he did Gandalf himself. Mayhaps Gandalf had used Dragon fireworks before, some in the likeness of the most famous Dragon of that time (and of The Third Age), Smaug The Magnificent. It may be that, within the films, a child Bilbo may comment to the Wizard on that firework, "Are there really dragons, Mr. Gandalf. . .(and in a Nod to Samwise on The Elves) oh I would dearly love to see one!" And The Wizard remembered it.

It seems plausible, and could actually work extremely well, and does indeed dovetail with the memories of Bilbo that partly prompted Gandalf to consider him in the first place. By including such a scene, they could get at the heart of what is mentioned in UTales without actually crossing the copyright lines.

In Reply To
(also for the excuse to distract myself by re-watching the whole vlog...Tongue )

The firework is very similar, as you say. So as the scene doesn't seem to be a reprise of Bilbo's party, because it is different, I take it they're working on the assumption that Gandalf has a set range of firework designs. When you think about it, it's interesting that he has fireworks at all. He wouldn't need them when he arrives with the dwarves and he wouldn't be likely to have them when he and Bilbo return at the end. They must have included them for a reason - in Fellowship (the book) the dragon firework is a reminder of Smaug. Do you think they might be using it as some sort of foreshadowing - not of Smaug by name, but just introducing the idea of dragons...?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 8 2012, 11:19pm

Post #52 of 75 (439 views)
Shortcut
I think Phibbus is right in assuming [In reply to] Can't Post

that if we see Took's party, Bilbo will be a child, not an adolescent/young man.

In Reply To
Will we have Martin Freeman as an even younger Bilbo, or a different actor?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 8 2012, 11:25pm

Post #53 of 75 (440 views)
Shortcut
Depends on where we get the scene. I prefer the notion of a flashback, after/during [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's encounter with Gandalf, just as in the book. Tolkien doesn't keep where Gandalf knew Bilbo from a mystery beyond the first few pages.

Somewhere in the area between "You know my name too, though you have forgotten that I belong to it. I am Gandalf! And Gandalf means me!" and Bilbo's repsponse, insert flashback.

In Reply To
I believe we will gt a scene of Gandalf interacting with a young Bilbo, which will set up:

a. Gandalf's belief that he's the Hobbit for the job
b. Bilbo's recognition of Gandalf later on, and rationale for avoiding him.

Personally, I prefer Gandalf being kept rather mysterious as he was in the book, but PJ does seem very, very intent on explaining all the mystery. As he said, they are trying to make everything in the book that seems random, not random.

So we are in for lots of explanatory scenes, and connections, etc.

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Aug 8 2012, 11:27pm)

kzer_za
Lorien

Aug 9 2012, 12:22pm

Post #54 of 75 (420 views)
Shortcut
In the Quest for Erebor, Gandalf says he met Bilbo as a child [In reply to] Can't Post

And that he has had his eye on Bilbo for quite some time. So if this interpretation of the photo is correct (and at this point there's no way to be sure), it's not like PJ is making stuff up here.

(This post was edited by kzer_za on Aug 9 2012, 12:31pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 9 2012, 1:26pm

Post #55 of 75 (438 views)
Shortcut
Certainly, KzerZa [In reply to] Can't Post

It fits perfectly with what UTales says, and yet it does not tread on the legal boundaries, because you are essentially told the same thing in The Hobbit novel itself. It explicitly states that, aside from The Old Took's funeral, Gandalf had not been to The Shire since Bilbo and his kin were all little "hobbit boys and hobbit girls", and went on to demonstrate how much of a lasting impression the magic fireworks displays Gandalf used to perform at Took's Midsummer Eve parties had left on Bilbo's memories.

kzer_za
Lorien

Aug 9 2012, 2:28pm

Post #56 of 75 (391 views)
Shortcut
If they're showing Gandalf meeting child Bilbo, I think it would be better to do it later. [In reply to] Can't Post

Throwing the flashback into the middle of Gandalf and Bilbo's first meeting could break the flow and momentum of the scene, which will hopefully be quite charming and witty. Plus there will already probably be some flashbacks at the beginning on Smaug, Erebor, etc.

And I think the scene would just be more effective after Gandalf and Bilbo have already established a relationship and perhaps after Bilbo has already changed some. Think of the Smeagol/Deagol flashback - it was at the beginning in the book and in the movie it was originally going to be there when we were just getting to know Gollum. But for film purposes, it ended up working better elsewhere.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 9 2012, 3:10pm

Post #57 of 75 (388 views)
Shortcut
I've always though that kid [In reply to] Can't Post

Was a child Frodo, as he quite looks like him. I believe he is Serkis' son.

There is also another kid in that vlog, who looks like an older version of the small child on the chair. I think he is also Serkis' son, and guessed that he may be playing a slightly older Frodo.

Hmmm...

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 3:13pm

Post #58 of 75 (379 views)
Shortcut
They looks like different children to me [In reply to] Can't Post

Link.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 9 2012, 3:17pm

Post #59 of 75 (372 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

But isn't it interesting how Serkis' children seem to be made up as younger Frodos? The older one, at least, looks almost exactly like Elijah...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 3:56pm

Post #60 of 75 (368 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo as a child is far more likely than Frodo... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Was a child Frodo, as he quite looks like him. I believe he is Serkis' son.

There is also another kid in that vlog, who looks like an older version of the small child on the chair. I think he is also Serkis' son, and guessed that he may be playing a slightly older Frodo.

Hmmm...

At least we can find reasons to flash back to a young Bilbo. There is no reason, in the context of the story, to flash forward to a small Frodo. Frodo enters the timeline long after the events of The Hobbit.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 4:44pm

Post #61 of 75 (361 views)
Shortcut
No idea [In reply to] Can't Post

They just look like all the other Hobbit children. Tongue

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 9 2012, 7:03pm

Post #62 of 75 (367 views)
Shortcut
The child on the chair [In reply to] Can't Post

...is not one of the Serkis children, I'm sure. He's darker, and looks a little smaller.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 10:08pm

Post #63 of 75 (348 views)
Shortcut
More speculation (why not!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this Gandalf at the mystery Hobbit party, or in the Elven and Human camp on the eve of the BO5A?

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 9 2012, 10:20pm

Post #64 of 75 (336 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the tent looks the same colour as the mystery hobbit party ones, so I vote for that. He's... er..... telling the hobbitlings, including little Bilbo, all about dragons. How about that?

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 10:24pm

Post #65 of 75 (338 views)
Shortcut
That ... or ... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's thumbing for a lift on Radagast's bunny sled!

I thought of the camp outside the Lonely Mountain because of the flag/banner on the right - doesn't look very Hobbitsh.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 9 2012, 10:37pm

Post #66 of 75 (332 views)
Shortcut
I also thought that was from a hobbit party [In reply to] Can't Post

But on a closer look, that banner seems rather elvish...

I think it's a tent, perhaps Thranduil's, outside the mountain.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 10:41pm

Post #67 of 75 (325 views)
Shortcut
Looks a bit tired as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that eyebrow or a cut above his right eye?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 10 2012, 2:05am

Post #68 of 75 (335 views)
Shortcut
Almost certain Thranduil's camp. The tent may be the same general colour, however [In reply to] Can't Post

this tent is FAR more elabourate, elegant and regal looking. Aside from the height being all wrong, and it being more of a golden hue than the yellow Hobbit tent, look at all the tassels and drapes. None of the Hobbit tents looked like that, so it is almost certainly the Warcamp of The Elves, and not a scene from the Hobbit party of mystery.

In Reply To
Is this Gandalf at the mystery Hobbit party, or in the Elven and Human camp on the eve of the BO5A?

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 10 2012, 6:23am

Post #69 of 75 (308 views)
Shortcut
They are very similar colours though.... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Oin K
Rivendell

Aug 12 2012, 11:19pm

Post #70 of 75 (291 views)
Shortcut
That Dragon firework... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a memorable prop from FOTR, so they may have just thrown it in as a visual reference.

On the other hand, maybe it's the same firework, and Gandalf has been saving it all these years - making it all the more comical that it was Merry and Pippin who finally set it off!

They could even go so far as to include a quick exchange where one of the hobbit children points to it and says, "Do that one!" to which Gandalf replies with a wink, "No, that one I am saving, for a special occasion."

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 1:14am

Post #71 of 75 (294 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't it be cool [In reply to] Can't Post

if an identical shot was made to close The Hobbit? *sigh*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 13 2012, 3:07am

Post #72 of 75 (289 views)
Shortcut
I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

These "winks" to LOTR could add up to Lucasian proportions if one is not careful...

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 7:18am

Post #73 of 75 (284 views)
Shortcut
I doubt a firework could last 60 years / [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 13 2012, 9:39am

Post #74 of 75 (299 views)
Shortcut
EVEN IF IT WAS MADE BY A WIZARD? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 13 2012, 9:55am

Post #75 of 75 (300 views)
Shortcut
Even by a wizard! Moisture always finds a way in! / [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.