Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Anybody notice that we have 8000 registered users right now?

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 6 2012, 10:17pm

Post #1 of 20 (330 views)
Shortcut
Anybody notice that we have 8000 registered users right now? Can't Post

I wonder how high it will get before this is all said and done. (Although I realize some of those have never logged in, or only registered to enter a contest, etc.)

Smile

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 6 2012, 10:21pm

Post #2 of 20 (155 views)
Shortcut
I looked roughly 10 minutes ago [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was at 7999 user, which means the 8000th user is very recent! Shocked How strange we should both notice.

I expect numbers will rocket in November and December!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 6 2012, 11:20pm

Post #3 of 20 (140 views)
Shortcut
I made a comment a week ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that we had 159 pages listing 7947 members.

130 of those pages list registered users with fewer than 10 posts. Many have never logged in. That works out to roughly 80% of our members.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 6 2012, 11:24pm

Post #4 of 20 (139 views)
Shortcut
I'm the 8000th member! [In reply to] Can't Post

I may have registered years ago, but without me it would be 7999, so that makes me #8000 Tongue

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2012, 11:47pm

Post #5 of 20 (129 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

you being a registered member makes you a necessary condition to having 8000 members right now, but it doesn't make you #8000
what would make you #8000 is if you ordered the current members in such a way that you were the last entry, any ordering for everyone else will do Wink

but I'm splitting hairs
Congrats to TORn

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 6 2012, 11:56pm

Post #6 of 20 (155 views)
Shortcut
Pfft, yeah. You're just jealous. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because you're just #8999, like everybody else.

I wonder if TORn will reach 10,000 before AUJ is released? I imagine the number will increase quite quickly as the release date draws nearer.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Aug 7 2012, 1:19am

Post #7 of 20 (191 views)
Shortcut
Lurker or fly bys? [In reply to] Can't Post

I often wonder about those who never log in.... are they lurking or just stopped by once? Is it realistic to take credit for them?
Is there anyway to sort by last visit? Yes there is .... 25 pages out of 157 have never logged in.

Those of us who remain invisible are simply dropped off that ordering.... 3 pages of us.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Aug 7 2012, 1:25am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 7 2012, 4:59am

Post #8 of 20 (128 views)
Shortcut
I know who it was [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it wasn't you. TongueLaugh

Actually, the person hasn't logged in yet and I hesitate to make a big deal of exactly who it was unless they do. Besides, the important thing is that 8,000 people (8001 now) have found it interesting enough, for whatever reason, to create a user account here.

I can tell you from much experience that of the users who have never logged in:

- many, many of them are lurkers
- some of them created user names to enter a contest
- some of them never answered their validation email (one of my biggest pet peeves Laugh), probably because their validation email went to spam and they never bothered to follow up on it. (Why, people, why)? lol.
- some of them don't get an instantaneous response to their sign-up (sometimes it takes a while when the server is loaded) and sign up with one or two different variations of the same name within a few minutes (another pet peeve - which is why I added my email address to the sign-up message which, of course, people ignore Crazy)

On the flip side:

- we have over 500 users who have made it as far as Rivendell, which means they post approximately once per week on average.
- we have over 400 users who have made it to Rohan, which means they post, on average, daily. That's pretty astounding.
- per Magpie's calculations, 80% of the registered users have less than 10 posts or have never logged in. But, that means 20% *have* and are somewhat, to very, active here. After doing some informal research a few years ago, I found that's actually a pretty high percentage for discussion boards, especially those that have been around for a number of years.

Oh, and as to QT's pondering about whether we'll reach 10,000 by mid-December? Doubtful. In this pretty busy last 30 days we've had about 170 new users sign up. Even if it picked up to 200 per month, we'd be just shy of 9,000 users by mid-December. But, by Hobbit 2 & 3 - I think it's safe to say we'll be at 10,000 and beyond! ShockedShockedLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 7 2012, 5:08am

Post #9 of 20 (126 views)
Shortcut
Sadis.. er... statistics! At this time of night! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, Altaira - that's an impressive lot of numbers to have crunched. And I hope we do reach 10,000 by the end of The Hobbit's run!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 7 2012, 8:45am

Post #10 of 20 (125 views)
Shortcut
My prediction [In reply to] Can't Post

There will be 9277 member on 14th Decemeber 2012 Laugh

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 7 2012, 11:34am

Post #11 of 20 (129 views)
Shortcut
Also, has anyone noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Movie:Hobbit board is about to exceed the Off Topic board in total numcer of posts? There are many more threads in Off Topic, but due to the extensive discussions in Movie:Hobbit, that total number of posts is growing at a faster pace.

That's quite an accomplishment for our newest forum!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 7 2012, 1:28pm

Post #12 of 20 (96 views)
Shortcut
That is great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially as The Hobbit forum is 1354 threads behind the Off Topic board!

And some (very trivial) statistics, the top 10 posters make up 74% of those posts in The Hobbit board ... that's assuming posting in that board only. Including all boards, the top 10 posters have contributed to 21% of total posts. I love these kind of statistics Laugh

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 7 2012, 4:53pm

Post #13 of 20 (103 views)
Shortcut
We should have a contest [In reply to] Can't Post

to try to guess the exact number of registered users on the day of TH premier.
Sort of like guessing the number of jelly beans in a Mason jar. Laugh

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 7 2012, 5:30pm

Post #14 of 20 (89 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've put my prediction in. On the optimistic side! Laugh

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2012, 6:15pm

Post #15 of 20 (90 views)
Shortcut
I would have thought that [In reply to] Can't Post

if you didn't validate your account it wouldn't even show up on the list. Thought that's what it was for, sort of. Apparently I was wrong.

Wait, the people who never log on are lurkers? As a lurker, wouldn't the point of creating an account be to log in and so have your account remember what you read and what you haven't?

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 8 2012, 1:53pm

Post #16 of 20 (80 views)
Shortcut
Over the past year, [In reply to] Can't Post

the average was 100 new users per month. http://newboards.theonering.net/...o=ASC;guest=30462333

That is still pretty impressive given the ebb and flow of the news/vlog releases! Btw, have have you updated the Top 9 List this year? EvilWink

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Kassandros
Rohan

Aug 8 2012, 3:08pm

Post #17 of 20 (78 views)
Shortcut
Aw man, I bet I just missed being Mr. 8000 [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder why lurkers need accounts, though? I've read the forums for years without one.

On the other hand, I used to follow just the news page more and only rarely came to the forums. Over time, especially as there was more Hobbit stuff to discuss/speculate on, I started reading the forums more. I occasionally thought about posting but never got around to registering. Then I finally gave in.

It's kind of odd to know the general personalities/opinions of people around here when they don't know mine, actually. Laugh

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

sevilodorf
Gondor

Aug 8 2012, 3:33pm

Post #18 of 20 (91 views)
Shortcut
That would be one level of lurker. [In reply to] Can't Post

Registered and logged in but non posting.... unless they keep themselves invisible they should still show up in the appearance list though.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Aug 8 2012, 3:39pm)

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 8 2012, 3:58pm

Post #19 of 20 (83 views)
Shortcut
Well, glad you finally decided to take the plunge! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 9 2012, 9:50pm

Post #20 of 20 (69 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit board has now surpassed the Off Topic board! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.