Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - "How many did you eat?"

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2012, 5:09pm

Post #1 of 14 (652 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - "How many did you eat?" Can't Post

Merry and Pippin after eating excessive lembas... well, Pippin anyways.

1.) Does Pippin come across looking ill? Bloated? Tired? Anything?

2.) Any thoughts about the lighting and balance of this shot? What sticks out to you?

3.) What colors appear most prominent here? What does it present to us as viewers and thinkers, if anything at all?

4.) Any other thoughts or comments?

P.S - There are two slots still available for SCOD hosting next month! If interested, PM me or post in the sign-up thread on the movie boards.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Aug 3 2012, 5:12pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2012, 5:44pm

Post #2 of 14 (238 views)
Shortcut
lighting... [In reply to] Can't Post

...makes me think of early morning which is an appropriate time for starting journeys, especially long ones. The morning start of a long journey always seems to represent adventure and possibilities and uncertainties.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 12:10am

Post #3 of 14 (213 views)
Shortcut
Merry & Pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin looks both ill and tired, and maybe a little guilty.

2.) Any thoughts about the lighting and balance of this shot? What sticks out to you?

The shot seems to have a blue tint.

3.) What colors appear most prominent here? What does it present to us as viewers and thinkers, if anything at all?

Blue. I'm not sure what it might be trying to present. Maybe the fading of light into darkness?

Merry looks like he's scolding Pippin for eating too much.

"It's okay, I feel like getting up and screaming every time you walk into a room." -Lestrade, Sherlock S2,ep3.

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 4 2012, 1:33am

Post #4 of 14 (202 views)
Shortcut
Pippin seems to be enjoying every minute of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I see the lembas bulging out of his neck. He must have truly filled himself to overflowing.

As scandalized as Merry may be, the bright light makes it hard to take it very seriously - that and Pippin's grin.

The blue all around feels to be a part of Pippin and the light and merry scenery while Merry has contrasting orange and may not be as "cool with it".

4.) Any other thoughts or comments? [\b]
Pippin doesn't look bloated. The sharp lines of his face and angle of shoulders suggest that he is still thin. It's just the angle of his turning head and a camera moment.

Show or do not show, there is no tell.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Aug 4 2012, 3:59am

Post #5 of 14 (190 views)
Shortcut
How many *did* he eat? Four, was it? [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like someone who regrets that last piece of pie after Christmas dinner. But a little proud that he was able to eat it all.

I'll sort of combine these two. The colors are subdued and not very saturated, and, though there are bright glints of light, the overall lighting seems fairly low contrast. Maybe it is meant to represent the otherworldly quality of Lorien outside of Calas Galadhon (oops! spelling?) which is always shown as a world of twilight.

It's a cute moment showing the hobbits being hobbits.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2012, 5:02pm

Post #6 of 14 (170 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

The morning dew on the open plains glistening in the rising sun as the car speeds along to who knows where. Good eye, Magpie, and senses, too. Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2012, 11:41pm

Post #7 of 14 (160 views)
Shortcut
hmmm interesting, I love the background in this shot. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tired I think, a bit nonchalant too hehe.

Well, the stong brilliance of the light from the left hehe... but from what I wonder ? the Sun I s'ppose hehe

Bluey-greens, and Browns. For me it gives a mellow feel, not dark at all.

I find it surprising how clear the shot feels. Crisp. I love the reeds to the left of Merry; unique to this sequence the reeds.

Cheers One Ringer Smile

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

Kassandros
Rohan

Aug 5 2012, 12:19am

Post #8 of 14 (167 views)
Shortcut
my thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not particularly bloated or ill in this shot. Perhaps like a child who has just had too many cookies and is realizing the consequences.

It looks like they are lit by a spotlight, much like many shots in Lothlorien. It gives Lothlorien an ethereal, othererworldly feel.

All of the colors are muted. The blue tint and mutedness of the colors kind of gives me the feeling that it is perpetually evening in Lothlorien. Kind of a sign that the influence of the elves is waning and they will soon leave Middle Earth. One thing that always disappointed me in the movies was that the leaves of the of the Mallorn trees were not golden. I don't know how they possibly missed this. But the Lothlorien of the movies is not at all how I picture it.

I get the sense that Merry and Pippin don't truly "belong" in Lorien from this picture. There seems to be a contrast between their clothes on the one hand and the architecture of the bridge in the background on the other. I love the bridge!

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2012, 7:16am

Post #9 of 14 (156 views)
Shortcut
good point about the not-so-golden mallorn leaves ...... would have been quite glorious, plus, awesome avatar Kassandros // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI model
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

Kassandros
Rohan

Aug 6 2012, 12:08am

Post #10 of 14 (153 views)
Shortcut
They never got the forests right... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was disappointed by Treebeard (and the lack of Quickbeam) and Fangorn as a whole as well. Wasn't at all how I imagined it. And the ents are supposed to be full of sadness, not comic relief. Ah well. I did like the flooding of Isengard, though perhaps as much for the music as the visuals.

And thanks. My avatar is taken from a painting my wife did for me.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 6 2012, 2:19am

Post #11 of 14 (154 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, all the soundstage forests were a disaster [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure why they didn't find locations for these, with some added false trees for the mallorns, etc. Caras Galadhon and Fangorn looked incredibly fake.

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Aug 6 2012, 2:30am

Post #12 of 14 (161 views)
Shortcut
I guess I'm just not good at noticing "fakeness"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Fangorn worked very well, at least for me. Personally, I loved its slightly uneasy, twisted, storybook quality. I wouldn't say it resembled a realistic forest, but within the context of the film I never found it distracting and was quite impressed by how the filmmakers suggested darkness and scale without using any real environment in which to do so.

So I can't agree that it was a disaster! Even at their least well-executed, the excellent craft on display never approached that level for me. Perhaps it would have been better to combine fake trees for the mallorns with a real forest, but I liked the effect of what they achieved with Fangorn.

(This post was edited by thomasofrohan on Aug 6 2012, 2:34am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 6 2012, 7:29pm

Post #13 of 14 (99 views)
Shortcut
Same. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been in bush areas that weren't dissimilar to Merry and Pippin's Fangorn.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 7 2012, 6:13am

Post #14 of 14 (162 views)
Shortcut
It's not the flora and fauna [In reply to] Can't Post

Its the lighting, and occasionally the texture of bark, stone and grass that simply does not look real.

But mainly, the fault lies with indoor lighting, IMO.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.