Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Gruesome

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 14 2012, 4:24pm

Views: 342
Shortcut
Gruesome [In reply to] Can't Post

The neat thing about "skriking" is that it fits the lyrical pattern that you note, so even if it were an invented word, most readers wouldn't question it and would accept it as part of the whole. The link Sador provided mentions a thrush in the defintion: how's that for unintended foreshadowing?

In what is a children's book, I find the analogy of the animals being tortured quite disturbing. Not bad enough to ban the books from libraries, and plenty of fairy tales in their original form have worse things (the evil stepmother in one old tale is forced to dance on hot coals until she dies!). I don't dwell on it, but I find it out of place.

Gandalf and Orcrist: I think we are meant to believe that this wily wizard is agile enough and has the presence of mind to snatch Thorin's sword. And after all, he needs to re-arm all of the dwarves that he can if they're going to fight their way out and continue their quest. Gandalf shows a similar presence of mind at the Black Gate in The Return of the King, when he snatches Frodo's possessions from the Mouth of Sauron. "These we will take!" I love that scene.

How many goblins should we believe are chasing, or in this case, manning the front lines? Lots. And they were goblinning the front lines, not manning them. But seriously, I think if we were given numbers high or low, we'd start to think about what's realistic or not. Leaving it fuzzy like this lets our imagination adapt the crowd control to what we each find believable. I imagine the good guys are outnumbered 3 to 1, if I think about it.

Is there meant to be some magic in the blades that allow Gandalf and Thorin to slay so many so quick?
Are the goblins merely mesmerized and in shock that they find no time to defend? Is there something else at play here? Yes, I think so. Gondolin has a mystique about it in the Silmarillion also, coming the closest of all realms to reproducing the atmosphere of Tuna in Aman. That would give an extra oomph to its weapons here.

Great questions--thanks for leading the chapter! Sorry I couldn't join sooner.

Subject User Time
Over Hill and Under Hill Discussion - Part Three One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Aug 3 2012, 4:31pm
    "wicked dwarves" Felagund Send a private message to Felagund Aug 4 2012, 8:03am
        Re: "wicked dwarves" Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 5 2012, 3:44pm
    Answers sador Send a private message to sador Aug 5 2012, 8:58am
    Gruesome CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 14 2012, 4:24pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.