Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
question

oburi

Aug 2 2012, 7:09pm

Post #1 of 9 (472 views)
Shortcut
question Can't Post

Hello. I'm a brand spankin new member and I had a quick question that I was hoping someone could answer for me. Its bothering me for some time since I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

The sword that Merry uses to hurt the Witch King. He gets it from tom bombadil in the barrow downs. But he is eventually captured by the Uruks along with pippin. Its says the Uruks threw away their belongings because they feared them or something (from what I remember). Yet at some point Merry gets the Westernesse blade back? When does this happen.

I watched the movie and noticed this plothole, because the movie dosnt explain it all. But when I looked into the books for answers I couldn't find any there either. Now its really bothering me. Did I miss something?

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2012, 7:23pm

Post #2 of 9 (189 views)
Shortcut
You won't find any answers in the films [In reply to] Can't Post

as they kind of mess the storyline up - Merry uses his Rohan sword rather than his Barrow blade (given to him by Aragorn) to kill the Witchking. How he still had the Barrow blade in the films, I do not know. But he holds it up while Barad-Dur collapses. The filmmakers definitely made Eowyn fulfil the prophecy, rather than highlighting Merry's signficance in the event as well.

In the books, Merry is able to keep hold of his barrow blade for the entire journey.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2012, 7:41pm

Post #3 of 9 (195 views)
Shortcut
answer... :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome, oburi -- as you say, Merry and Pippin's swords were taken from them by the Uruk-hai, who threw them down. (told in flashback in 'The Uruk-hai). Aragorn found the blades, 'hoping against hope' that he'd be able to give them back. (The Departure of Boromir)

Aragorn did give the hobbits their swords back, when they met again in Isengard (Flotsam and Jetsam)

(This post was edited by geordie on Aug 2 2012, 7:43pm)

oburi

Aug 2 2012, 7:57pm

Post #4 of 9 (177 views)
Shortcut
thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, I see. Thank you for the answers. The films could have made it a lot easier on themselves simply by adding a scene where Aragorn finds the blades and gives them back. I was unsure about the books though. Thanks for clarifying.

Btw, excellent site here guys. I remember lurking here almost 10 years ago and its still as helpful and imformative as ever. Cheers :-)

PhantomS
Rohan

Aug 6 2012, 4:11am

Post #5 of 9 (130 views)
Shortcut
In Flotsam and Jetsam, [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn returns what the Hunters found to Merry and Pippin in that chapter, including Pippin's leaf-brooch from Lothlorien. They both get their blades back, which help them become endeared to Theoden and Denethor respectively.

sador
Half-elven

Aug 6 2012, 6:18am

Post #6 of 9 (114 views)
Shortcut
In the films, it wasn't a Barrow blade [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no reason whatsoever to suppose the swords Aragorn gave the hobbits were of any significance.

In the books - well, two people have answered already.

"Is the mountain more dangerous because it is personified? Are the nights not scary enough unless they are actively plotting against the dwarves?"
- Arwen's Daughter.

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for A Short Rest!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 6 2012, 7:15am

Post #7 of 9 (103 views)
Shortcut
Confused [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't say Merry used his barrow blade? In the films he uses the Rohan sword?

sador
Half-elven

Aug 6 2012, 8:08am

Post #8 of 9 (96 views)
Shortcut
What I meant was [In reply to] Can't Post

In the films, the swords Aragorn gives the hobbits are not Barrow-blades. And not just because they did not come from the barrow - they have no significance at all: there is no hint of any magic or history attached to them. Just simple instruments of self-defence.

"Is the mountain more dangerous because it is personified? Are the nights not scary enough unless they are actively plotting against the dwarves?"
- Arwen's Daughter.

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for A Short Rest!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 6 2012, 8:11am

Post #9 of 9 (176 views)
Shortcut
Oh I see - yes, my mistake for calling them Barrow blades :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.