Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Hmm

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 27 2007, 10:45am

Views: 109
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my favorite Hobbit illustration, for sentimental reasons. What do you think of it?
Did Bilbo bring the ladder? It seems odd that there's a ladder there, but I suppose the Dwarves could have used it to fill those giant amphoras. I like the touch of the armour on the wall, hints that this wasn't a dragon lair but a Dwarven hall. Where did the bats come from?

Hammond and Scull say that Tolkien, since there were "no words left to express" Bilbo’s reaction to the dragon’s hoard, painted a picture instead. What is wrong with how Tolkien wrote about the treasure? Is the illustration really necessary, or just supplementary? How does his position here compare with the one he takes in "On Fairy-stories", regarding the use of language vs. illustration to represent the fantastic?
I think what he wrote was more powerful. The mound of gold and gems, enough to accommodate a dragon, enough so the dragon has a coat of gems and rubies. That's impressive.

I quite like the picture of Smaug dying, but as someone who doesn't like to see a piece of work go out (especially into print) without it being as good as it can be I can understand Tolkien's frustrations at H&S using the picture on the cover, of all places!

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Subject User Time
**JRRT: Artist & Illustrator. The Hobbit, Part II – Smaug** squire Send a private message to squire Feb 25 2007, 6:18pm
    Cover art Penthe Send a private message to Penthe Feb 25 2007, 11:17pm
    That's our "Hobbit". Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Feb 25 2007, 11:27pm
    Only for sentimental reasons? So you don't think much of the picture? Curious Send a private message to Curious Feb 25 2007, 11:42pm
        He called it "quite powerful and stunning" and a "great painting". N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Feb 25 2007, 11:52pm
        Great minds feed alike. squire Send a private message to squire Feb 26 2007, 12:34am
    Smaug the worm a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Feb 26 2007, 12:06am
    Smaug is in love Wynnie Send a private message to Wynnie Feb 26 2007, 12:20am
        And so are we Penthe Send a private message to Penthe Feb 26 2007, 12:46am
    This is easily my favorite of Tolkien's drawings, Beren IV Send a private message to Beren IV Feb 26 2007, 12:57am
    what do the runes say? a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Feb 26 2007, 11:27am
        From "Artist and Illustrator" Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Feb 26 2007, 8:01pm
            There's more in The Annotated Hobbit. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Feb 26 2007, 8:24pm
                And the two runes beneath dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 26 2007, 9:53pm
                    Is the inscription in English? /nt N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Feb 26 2007, 10:31pm
                        Yes. dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 27 2007, 12:45am
    Dem bones ain't gonna rise again dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 27 2007, 1:44am
    Hmm Owlyross Send a private message to Owlyross Feb 27 2007, 10:45am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.