Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Dragon-con

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2012, 1:24am

Post #1 of 14 (860 views)
Shortcut
Dragon-con Can't Post

Anyone else from here going to Dragon-Con this year? It's basically the east coast version of Comic-con in some respects if nobody has heard of it. But it seems as though there isn't a ton of Hobbit info going on at it like I thought there would be. I'll be there all 4 days this year last year I could only afford 2 days but this year I got a hotel within walking distance and will be there all 4 days....

http://dragoncon.org/

I do see Sylvester McCoy is going to be there along with Billy Boyd and a couple other folks from LOTR along with author RA Salvatore, lots of people from Star Trek the next generation, HBO's True Blood, Alice Cooper is gonna be there. I truly hope they are holding back some of the middle earth stuff and there will at least be SOMETHING from the Hobbit there.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 27 2012, 1:48am

Post #2 of 14 (291 views)
Shortcut
Would love to [In reply to] Can't Post

But it'll be tough for me to fit in a trip to Atlanta this year.

Surely McCoy may say a thing or two about Radagast?

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2012, 1:55am

Post #3 of 14 (340 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping to ask him [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll surely post a picture if I can get one with him Wink

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2012, 1:23pm

Post #4 of 14 (242 views)
Shortcut
There will absolutely be [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit and Tolkien stuff at Dragon Con. Members of TORN staff are working on the Tolkien track, and TORN will have space at the Con. The team just caught their breath from ComicCon, so keep an eye on this board and the Home Page for Dragon Con news.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 27 2012, 1:55pm

Post #5 of 14 (268 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to be ignorant here ... [In reply to] Can't Post

will PJ do anything for DragonCon? I'm not familiar with it?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 27 2012, 5:40pm

Post #6 of 14 (260 views)
Shortcut
This will be my ninth Dragon*Con [In reply to] Can't Post

The difference, of course, between D*C and SDCC is that Dragon*Con doesn't get the big studio premieres that Comic Con gets. Still a great party, though, and I wouldn't miss it!

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home and back by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 27 2012, 8:04pm

Post #7 of 14 (259 views)
Shortcut
DragonCon [In reply to] Can't Post

DragonCon has its origins in gaming conventions rather than from comics. I suspect that the con is still firmly rooted in the worlds of gaming, but I have never been.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2012, 9:00pm

Post #8 of 14 (240 views)
Shortcut
I have never been to Dragon Con [In reply to] Can't Post

but my understanding it's more of a fan event, but covers all areas of fan-dom. While the various Comic-Cons have their roots in comic books, they have been largely taken over by the studios, television stations and major vendors (this applies mostly to New York Comic Con and San Diego Comic Con).

But the organizers of Dragon Con are mostly volunteers and fans, and it sounds like a much more approachable convention.

And I hear the Masquerade Ball is epic Wink

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 27 2012, 11:23pm

Post #9 of 14 (251 views)
Shortcut
Dragon*Con is more than just gaming [In reply to] Can't Post

While you're right that it began as a gaming convention, it's now grown into and all-media convention. There is still a ballroom deedicated to gamers and gaming programming, but the other tracks of the convention (including animation, writing, young adult, Tolkien, classic sci-fi, steampunk, costuming, and more!) take over the ballrooms and meeting spaces of 5 hotels in the area.

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home and back by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 28 2012, 1:16am

Post #10 of 14 (282 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm sure you are right... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just recalling when it was thought of as a gaming convention before all else, just as Comic-Con International once was of little interest to folks outside of comics.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2012, 6:15pm

Post #11 of 14 (224 views)
Shortcut
Got the last room in one of the Hotels about 3 blocks from the Con. [In reply to] Can't Post

Booked from Thursday night till Monday... can't wait it should be a blast. Last year I did the Tolkien track and met alot of cool people. This year should be great considering the Hobbit comes out... Still haven't seen a ton of stuff about it though.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 29 2012, 9:24pm

Post #12 of 14 (194 views)
Shortcut
Other LOTR personalities [In reply to] Can't Post

John Rhys-Davies, Billy Boyd,Sylvester McCoy, ie Gimli, Pippin + Radaghast

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2012, 10:59pm

Post #13 of 14 (233 views)
Shortcut
Yep already got em on my list [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

deej
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2012, 1:47pm

Post #14 of 14 (560 views)
Shortcut
There are plenty of Tolkien-related events at DragonCon! [In reply to] Can't Post

- Tolkien has it's very own track! Lots of panels on the books, films, music, costumes, etc... http://middleearth.dragoncon.org/schedule-2012/

- Some great guests this year including John Rhys-Davies, Billy Boyd, Craig Parker, Sylvester McCoy

- The Evening at Bree, which is held on Friday night, is a great place for Tolkien fans to get together; music by Emerald Rose, a costume contest mc'd by Craig Parker, and more!

- And last but not least, TheOneRing.net will be there in full force! We'll have a fan table at the Hyatt with shirts and buttons for sale, and will be presenting panels with all of the latest 'Hobbit' news.

Please make sure to stop by the table and say hello!

(This post was edited by deej on Jul 30 2012, 1:48pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.