Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which one has been in more life threatening situations during their journey in your opinion and why?
Poll: Which one has been in more life threatening situations during their journey in your opinion and why?
Bilbo 7 / 23%
Frodo 24 / 77%
31 total votes

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 22 2012, 11:22am

Post #1 of 18 (494 views)
Shortcut
Which one has been in more life threatening situations during their journey in your opinion and why? Can't Post

Bilbo didn't really make it his choice to go to the quest to reclaim the treasure. Neither of them were fully aware of what was waiting for them in their quest, altough to me going in an adventure to reclaim some gold isn't really quite the same as trying to save entire races of being extinct in Middle Earth by the hand of Sauron.Not that Frodo was aware of that. In his mind he did what he had to do, despite that dangers what might have been. lurking about. On the other hand Bilbo pretty much whined most of the time and craved for his hobbit hole.Wink I think that Bilbo had this thing called a "fools luck" during his ongoing journey. Smile I mean who else could go alive past stone trolls, Gollum , goblings, wargs, mad wood elves, spiders, a dragon, and pretty much a whole army in the last battle, without some sort of luck. Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 22 2012, 11:34am

Post #2 of 18 (231 views)
Shortcut
Both journey's were as dangerous as each other (spoilers in thread) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo - trolls, Gollum, goblins, wargs (+fire), enchanting river, spiders, elves, dragon, battles ... etc.
Frodo - Ringwraiths, Old Man Willow, barrow wights, wolves/wargs, goblins/orcs, balrog, Gollum, Shelob ... etc.

Just because Frodo was saving Middle-earth and Bilbo was only reclaiming treasure, I don't think there is any difference between which was more dangerous (in terms of Bilbo or Frodo). Both could've ended in disaster.

If you take "dangerous" to mean for the entire world, then of course, Frodo's journey was more dangerous, since it was more important than reclaiming treasure.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 22 2012, 5:47pm

Post #3 of 18 (186 views)
Shortcut
Well personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would rather be in Bilbo's position, considering that effectively knocking on Sauron's front door would be a little bit too daunting. Frodo nearly became a wraith (leaving him with a scar for life), was stabbed by a spear, and had the constant struggle with the Ring to deal with. Not to mention nearly being eaten by a giant spider and losing a finger.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 22 2012, 6:37pm

Post #4 of 18 (186 views)
Shortcut
Quantity vs. quality [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you asking about the number of events, or the seriousness of the threat? Bilbo clearly wins on number, but Frodo undertook a thoroughly impossible quest, and survived only because of the grace of Eru.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 22 2012, 6:50pm

Post #5 of 18 (200 views)
Shortcut
Quantitatively? Frodo by a long-shot [In reply to] Can't Post

By my count, Bilbo's life is directly imperiled about ten times in The Hobbit. Frodo exceeds that even before the breaking of the Fellowship.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2012, 9:10pm

Post #6 of 18 (189 views)
Shortcut
Let's count [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo:

1. The Trolls
2. The Stone Giants
3. Captured by the Goblins of the Goblin City
4. Gollum
5. Almost caught again by the Goblins
6. The Wolves and Goblins in the burning forest
7. Starving in the Mirkwood
8. The Spiders
9. Discussion with Smau
10. Locking themselves "indoors" of the Mountain just in time
11. BO5A (injury!)

Frodo:

1. Dodging the Wraiths in the Shire
2. Old Man Willow
3. The Barrow Downs
4. Wraiths at the Weathertop (injury!)
5. Wraiths at the fords of Bruinen
6. The snow storm on Caradhras
7. The wolves
8. The Watcher in the water
9. Orcs and the Balrog attacking the Fellowship (injury!)
10. Attacked by Orcs while boating on Anduin
11. Passing past Minas Morgul
12. The lair of Shelob (injury!)
13. Getting caught by the Orcs
14. Everything from there till the Mount Doom.

Frodo wins this one, though I doubt he appreciates the honor.

Yet you're absolutely right about Bilbo having to go through lots of stuff he was in no way prepared for. And think about this. Frodo was much guarded and guided by the strongest and wisest of beings in Middle-Earth. The only one Bilbo could in any way count on was Gandalf, who was constantly trolling them in his best "now you see me, now you don't" fashion. Even in the very end Frodo had his reliable Sam. Bilbo not only had to try to survive himself, but to look after the Dwarves as well.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 22 2012, 9:17pm

Post #7 of 18 (160 views)
Shortcut
There's a whole load of potential dangers as well for Frodo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Such as the oliphaunt and the Haradrim, the entire Dead Marshes, the Black Gate, Gollum ...

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 22 2012, 9:17pm

Post #8 of 18 (156 views)
Shortcut
Having never read LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

The Old man willow looks so fascinating to me. I wish they had him in the movies. Unsure It would be so amazing.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 22 2012, 9:59pm

Post #9 of 18 (154 views)
Shortcut
Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

Everybody evil was purposely seeking Frodo to kill or capture him, thus Elrond in his wisdom allowed Pippin and Merry to join the Fellowship. Something touched sparked in his foresight which relented against his initial reluctance to let them go along.
They unintentionally alloed to be decoys for Frodo, and allowed him to move around more or less un-noticed.
Then when Pippin later looked into the Palantir that sealed it.

Not to say Bilbo's adventure was footloose and fancy free, I mean he did converse with a dragon, but Baggins wasn't a name sought by 99% of the forces loyal to Mordor when he went out his hole.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 23 2012, 3:49am

Post #10 of 18 (174 views)
Shortcut
Old Man Willow [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Old man willow looks so fascinating to me. I wish they had him in the movies. Unsure It would be so amazing.

Old Man Willow did make it into the films, transferred from the Old Forest (just before the hobbits meet Tom Bombadil) to Fangorn Forest in The Two Towers.

RoseCotton
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 7:31am

Post #11 of 18 (190 views)
Shortcut
"Because of the grace of Eru" [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm rather literal (and maybe even shallow) minded, and when I read LOTR, I don't really pick up on the 'grace of Eru' business.

I would be grateful if you could say a little more about this. Smile

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2012, 12:40pm

Post #12 of 18 (141 views)
Shortcut
But the Fangorn tree doesn't sing!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Vangalad
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 1:36pm

Post #13 of 18 (156 views)
Shortcut
Baggins [In reply to] Can't Post

I say Frodo, with full respect and applause for Bilbo's adventure.
We must keep in mind that Sauron himself and his minions were after the 'Baggins' who held possession of the One weapon that could claim the fate of all Middle Earth! Pretty tuff situation don't you think?
Having all malicious powers hunting you and moving amidst a war in which all forces collide and having to secretly accomplish the most unlikely mission...Alas!

On the other hand, Bilbo was a unwary halfling who managed to discover his inner courage and bravery and overcome extremely dangerous events,yes, extremely dangerous!Thanks to his nature,his principles,luck and so on, he survived and became the hero of a big adventure.
Of course his deeds shaped the fortunes of many and had he failed, evil would have had much easier goals to accomplish, but Frodo's quest was hit or miss, bound for an enormous victory or a complete doom.
The scale of danger during Frodo's journey, in my opinion,tops the scale of Bilbo's.Missions accomplished for both of these characters, in different ways and standards, with variable but crucial friends and foes. Their paths seem so alike yet they are so different...

sam90
Lorien

Jul 23 2012, 5:46pm

Post #14 of 18 (135 views)
Shortcut
Most perilous journey [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo no doubt to me! for sure Bilbo's journey was a dangerous one too if not hopeless walking right into a dragon's lair but Frodo is getting right into Mordor under Sauron's nose seeking to destroy a powerful ring and if he would have been prisoner without rescue it seems clear that his fate might have been terrible after much torment a wraith walking in the shadow of the world he could have become. Just the fact that Fordo was carrying a heavy burden on the road and that Sauron's servant was after him all along make his journey more perilous than Bilbo in my opinion.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jul 23 2012, 5:47pm)

imin
Valinor

Jul 23 2012, 5:47pm

Post #15 of 18 (101 views)
Shortcut
Frodo for me // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 23 2012, 6:45pm

Post #16 of 18 (150 views)
Shortcut
It's still 'Old Man Willow' [In reply to] Can't Post

Treebeard even uses the same rhyme as Ol' Tom to pacify the awakened tree.

Gorbag
Rivendell

Jul 23 2012, 8:49pm

Post #17 of 18 (105 views)
Shortcut
Reading the list reminds me of what a tough old time Frodo had. So Frodo for sure. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Jul 24 2012, 1:01am

Post #18 of 18 (353 views)
Shortcut
I think Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Sauron was actively seeking the ring. Bilbo faced a lot of perils and both journeys could have ended in disaster, but Frodo was running from Nazgūl while he was still in familiar territory. His peril was more unrelenting, and Bilbo's brushes with potential death were more episodic.

(This post was edited by DesiringDragons on Jul 24 2012, 1:02am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.