Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD Extra - "Gandalf's death was not in vain."

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2012, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 9 (547 views)
Shortcut
SCOD Extra - "Gandalf's death was not in vain." Can't Post

By popular request, today I'm posting a bonus screencap for this week in regards to Boromir's exchange with Frodo in Lorien. Here goes!

1.) General thoughts on Boromir. What does he in/evoke? What is he feeling on the outside and in? What shows us this?

2.) In what way does this shot of Bormir differ from the other solo shots of the Fellowship that precede it (Gimli, Merry and Pippin, Sam, Legolas)?

3.) Any other thoughts/comments?

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 21 2012, 9:20pm

Post #2 of 9 (199 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene in FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a wonderful freshness to this scene in terms of the visuals, the dialogue and music.

1. Aesthetically: It is well-composed, and the lighting is, for some reason, more subtle and affecting than most of Lesnie's work, which often seems over-airbrushed. I also like the wind in this scene, which gives it a very natural air.

2. Dialogue: Excellent writing here by PJ, PB and FW. Boromir's delivery is also superb.

3. Music: The music here is understated, a rare departure from much of Shore's score.

Overall, a great scene, and IMO, the best addition to the FOTR EE.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 21 2012, 9:21pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 22 2012, 2:06am

Post #3 of 9 (165 views)
Shortcut
Excellent scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sean Bean just absolutely nailed it in this one (not that he didn't elsewhere, too!). I love seeing such different sides of Boromir. He's really such a great character and is played to perfection.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2012, 9:31pm

Post #4 of 9 (172 views)
Shortcut
One of Sean' Bean's best, this sequence, and also my favourite with him. [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) General thoughts on Boromir. What does he in/evoke? What is he feeling on the outside and in? What shows us this?

There is such great emotion discernable in his face. He looks like he's feeling the pain and burden of his people even more than usual. He might even be feeling doubt in himself.
His converse with Frodo however (extremely touching and profound) leads me to think although he's in the midst of wrestling with himself, he has a dedicated heart still...

2.) In what way does this shot of Bormir differ from the other solo shots of the Fellowship that precede it (Gimli, Merry and Pippin, Sam, Legolas)?

well, it's certainly different to the previous ones.. something about make-up of his face, and a different quality of his eyes. More brooding, more emotional.

Can you picture Boromir without his beard/tache? I cant...

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

-I am a victim of Bifurcation- (credit to Elpidha)

Dwarves: 'Erebor!', 'Erebor!!', '..Erebor!'
Bilbo: .. It's only a CGI rendition
Dwarves: 'Shhhhh!'

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 4:14am

Post #5 of 9 (114 views)
Shortcut
I agree, Xanaseb [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume that Galadriel's silent questioning of the group has led Boromir to reject his temptation to take the Ring and become once more a part of the Fellowship. He's trying to comfort Frodo here, even though later on his temptation will reassert itself all too strongly.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 5:58am

Post #6 of 9 (94 views)
Shortcut
But the scene happens prior to Galadriel's questioning [In reply to] Can't Post

This takes place in a flet on the outskirts of Lorien, while Aragorn is trying to negotiate the party's entry into Lorien.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Jul 24 2012, 8:23pm

Post #7 of 9 (85 views)
Shortcut
Oops, sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

Time for me to sit down and watch the extended editions through again!

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 24 2012, 9:35pm

Post #8 of 9 (102 views)
Shortcut
turbulence in a still lake [In reply to] Can't Post

All around him seems eerily still and unchanging while Boromir's hair is moved by the wind. It seems like all is peaceful around him while inner turbulence just under the surface hints at itself in his hair and face.

I should pass on this one since I just joined in on the Legolas image which might not be the comparison wantedEvil

Boromir's skin and weapons are very smooth shiny! But the rest of him is rough. The light of lothlorien is reflecting off of him only in part - there are some rough spots left that it isn't penetrating or touching quite. Is there a shadow on him?

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2012, 8:49pm

Post #9 of 9 (142 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts from a previous SCOD, and thanks, One Ringer. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my favorite moment for Boromir. "Do not carry the weight of the dead". As a military captain, he has sent men to death and had to find a way to continue. He tries to help Frodo in a straight-forward but gentle manner from his own experience. He's probably the only one who could at that moment, with Aragorn busy elsewhere. I found that very moving. Great writing. Great acting.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.