Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
I think you nailed the answer

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 24 2012, 5:19pm

Views: 169
Shortcut
I think you nailed the answer [In reply to] Can't Post

Another practical reason not to take the Army of the Dead any further than Pelargir - I'm not sure the soldiers of Gondor and Rohan would have been so keen to follow Aragorn in the company of wraiths. When Aragorn arrives at Linhir with his Shadow Host "defenders and foes alike gave up the battle and fled". In fact, apart from Angbor of Lamedon, none of the Men of Gondor are brave enough to rally to Aragorn until after the Army of the Dead is dismissed.

I would add that if someone saw the movie first, they might perceive (as a friend of mine does) the Army of the Dead as a sort of super-army: excellent in combat, and they couldn't be killed, so the perfect army to wipe away Sauron's armies not just from Minas Tirith, but everywhere, right? But the movie didn't show the men of Minas Tirith running in terror in the opposite direction that the orcs ran--or even running alongside them!--which is what would have really happened, if we're to judge from what happened in the south.

A smaller issue would be that the Army of the Dead is a corrupt thing. Not as bad as the Ring, but still corrupt, and just as using the Ring for good is a doomed effort, maybe trying to use the Dead for good would have eventually backfired also.

Subject User Time
Tolkien at UVM - 2012 summer - week 3 - army of the dead bglenney_uvm Send a private message to bglenney_uvm Jul 21 2012, 3:48pm
    They did what Aragorn needed. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jul 21 2012, 6:06pm
    Aragorn keeps his promises. Mim Send a private message to Mim Jul 21 2012, 10:13pm
    First of all, the Shadow Host broke their oath Curious Send a private message to Curious Jul 22 2012, 3:07am
    easy prey for the Necromancer Felagund Send a private message to Felagund Jul 23 2012, 7:16pm
        I think you nailed the answer CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jul 24 2012, 5:19pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.