Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Lest I die of embarrassment, frustration, or both

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 18 2012, 8:15pm

Post #1 of 7 (293 views)
Shortcut
Lest I die of embarrassment, frustration, or both Can't Post

Could a kindly admin please tidy up my Hobbit Book Discussion Roast Mutton 2 lead post?

This line:

Gandalf goes on to call attention to the missed note on which is on the mantelpiece that Bilbo has “never dusted.”

should read like this:

Gandalf then calls attention to the missed note on the mantelpiece which Bilbo has “never dusted.”

This:

We know, or at least have come to know through his other works, that Tolkien has no difficulty writing descriptive paragraphs. What's going on here?
Also, do you find anything odd about the construction “a dwarf or a farmer?”

should look like this:
We know, or at least have come to know through his other works, that Tolkien has no difficulty writing descriptive paragraphs. What's going on here?

Also, do you find anything odd about the construction “a dwarf or a farmer?”

(ie please add bold tags and a line break before "also")

And finally this line:

On a related note, are the castles actually evil looking because of the way they were built, or is it because of the weather that they appear evil, or is something else in going on?

should read like this:

On a related note, do the castles look evil because of the way they were built, because of the weather, or is something else in going on?

Thank you in advance. This always happens when I compose a post in Word then cut and paste. Something about composing in a text box here makes me pay closer attention I think.

Heart

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 18 2012, 8:16pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2012, 9:03pm

Post #2 of 7 (117 views)
Shortcut
*puts away spray cleaner and cloths* [In reply to] Can't Post

There! Is that tidied up enough? Wink

(And trust me, you're not the first person who's posted something they've found "embarrassing" in the RR!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 18 2012, 10:09pm

Post #3 of 7 (187 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks dernwyn! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 27 2012, 9:17pm

Post #4 of 7 (111 views)
Shortcut
Not an emergency but [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed the edit window on my recent LOTR post here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...latest_reply;so=ASC;

Could a kindly admin please cut and replace this (begins right after the link to Strider's sword and Glamdring):

. In fact the hacking and slashing style of fighting relied on blows perpendicular to their target. Therefore the kind of grappling that might lead to a blade sliding down another is not often scene. And finally, and this is a little know bit if you've never fenced with strait swords, but often swords bind at the point where they meet. In other words, the blades don't often slide along each other's length in the first place. (I think that is more a feature with curved blades where the stroke is more of a slicing drawing motion. You will notice that among curved bladed swords the cross guards are more obviously designed to protect the hand.)

with this:

are. In fact a hack and slash style of fighting relies on blows aimed perpendicular to the target. Therefore the kind of grappling that might lead to a blade sliding down another is not often involved (rather if swords meet they rebound and recover for another blow almost immediately).

Finally -- and this is not immediately apparent if you've never fenced with straight swords -- often straight bladed swords bind at the point where they meet or cross. In other words, the blades don't usually slide along each other's length in the first place, but rather tend to bite into each other (depending for instance on the material they are made of, smithing technique, sharpness and the force and direction they are being pushed in). I think blades sliding along each other happens more with curve-bladed swords, where the stroke is more of a slicing, drawing motion. You will notice that among curve-bladed swords the cross guards are more obviously designed to protect the hand.

---

Thank you so much. Since it is a technical discussion I thought it would be better without typos and awkward phrasing. I tried to correct it myself but I was busy adding in links and ran out of time... thank you again,

Heart

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 27 2012, 9:20pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 28 2012, 12:33am

Post #5 of 7 (100 views)
Shortcut
Fixed. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 28 2012, 6:22am

Post #6 of 7 (99 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ata... we swears to start using the preview post function. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 28 2012, 12:13pm

Post #7 of 7 (127 views)
Shortcut
for some reason, preview only works to some extent for me [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, I only seem to catch a certain percentage of mistakes. Lately, I find as many mistakes as I can in preview, hit post, and then immediately reread for more errors while I can still edit. Maybe it's my sad brain but I have - in a few recent posts - found myself editing two or three times.

I'll read, find something, hit edit to correct that one thing, and hit 'make changes' right away. I don't try to find everything before hitting 'make changes'. I would run up against the time limit for sure if I did. At least this way, if I do... I've gotten most of my edits done.

(edited to change the term 'save' to 'make changes'. I had to actually post and then hit edit to see what the button said!)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 28 2012, 12:14pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.