Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tales from the perilous realm
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 16 2012, 2:43pm

Post #26 of 35 (208 views)
Shortcut
That's how The Hobbit was meant to be read. [In reply to] Can't Post

Preferably at bedtime. Out loud is not mandatory.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 16 2012, 3:18pm

Post #27 of 35 (177 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the ones with batteries, which no-one in ME had ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 4:55pm

Post #28 of 35 (204 views)
Shortcut
If we stretch our definition of 'flashlight' far enough we could call the stars flashlights, too [In reply to] Can't Post

The magical lamps of the Elves' and Dwarves' cavern-dwellings are no more the equivalent of a modern flashlight (electric torch, in Britain), than lembas is a processed and vitamin-fortified carbohydrate ration in a natural foil (the word means 'leaf') wrapper. To compare the two types of solutions to mankind's imagined needs, one being technological and real and one being magical and unreal, is fair; to say they are the same thing is to flatten Tolkien's fantasy until there is nothing left of it.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 16 2012, 5:02pm

Post #29 of 35 (181 views)
Shortcut
Okay, okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

Spoilsport.

squire
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 6:50pm

Post #30 of 35 (205 views)
Shortcut
No trouble at all [In reply to] Can't Post

We live to annoy nitpick.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 20 2012, 1:11pm

Post #31 of 35 (160 views)
Shortcut
Not a silly question.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I think there is something special about Lord of the Rings, which is what draws so many of us back to the books time and again. It touches your imagination in a very special way, I think, and that stays with you and affects your response to other things. I've read and loved a lot of books but I've never read anything else that I so passionately wanted to be true - if that makes sense.

Oh, and to your other question, 'Tales from the Perilous Realm' is worth having if you like Tolkien - not least because it gives you so many things in one cover. Roverandom and Farmer Giles of Ham; Leaf by Niggle and Smith of Wootton Major; the collection of poems that was published under the title The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (that's the only part of 'Tales' that relates to Middle Earth) and Tolkien's Essay on Fairy-Stories, which is an insight into his way of thinking. And some editions have pencil drawings by Alan Lee as well. But if you're not certain, why not do as geordie says and try a library, or look at a copy in a book shop.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 20 2012, 1:51pm

Post #32 of 35 (137 views)
Shortcut
Well, I actually bought a paperback edition of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

But since everything was so crammed together, I didn't have an urge to read it. So I gave it to a friend, who wanted to repay me by buying a proper version of LOTR. The illustrated one by Alan Lee. I also have The Hobbit illustrated by Alan Lee and it's so gorgeous. I highly recommend it.

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Jul 20 2012, 7:49pm

Post #33 of 35 (144 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure that it's made me smarter or wiser... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but it's definitely enriched my life, has given a reference point and inspiration in situations where I need courage, and has made me want to be a better person.

Even if it doesn't have this effect on you, I hope you enjoy it!

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 20 2012, 11:01pm

Post #34 of 35 (198 views)
Shortcut
Oh I'm sure it will. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

(This post was edited by Morok Cloudkeeper on Jul 20 2012, 11:01pm)

vexx801
Rivendell

Nov 11 2012, 11:23pm

Post #35 of 35 (184 views)
Shortcut
It has mine [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up reading Tolkien and watching adaptations of some of his works. I am currently reading Tales from the Perilous Realms, Children of Hurin, and Unfinished Tales. I have read The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Hobbit is actually my favorite work of literature and I read it once or twice every year, so the upcoming film trilogy has excited me to no end. Anywho, I purchased Tales from the Perilous Realm because it contained material related to Middle-Earth, and although there is not much I still enjoyed it, and I found myself enjoying Roverandom and Farmer Giles of Ham.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.