Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Virtually nothing but good news! Shaping up like the proper marraige of Epic and wondrous Fairy/Folktale

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 15 2012, 8:14am

Post #1 of 7 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Virtually nothing but good news! Shaping up like the proper marraige of Epic and wondrous Fairy/Folktale Can't Post

I have been reading through the articles and Have been very pleased indeed. Gandalf using the thunderous voice and darkening the scene when having his final say on Bilbo to The Dwarves, in JUST the manner I imagined and hoped would be relayed. . . glowing glamdring, Stone Giants, and humour galore, a fainting Bilbo not the least of these things.

Certainly I took great pleasure in reading in one review that what they saw suggested a film as massive in scale and sweep as the LOTR trilogy, but also with more of the touching, childlike wonder found in classic movies like The Neverending Story (the sequels to that may have been crap, but the original was a beautiful and truly wonderful film). I know it won't be perfect. No one's adaptation of our favourite tales are ever quite perfect, unless the adaptation is our own lol. Yet, from all accounts it is shaping up to be very wonderful indeed.

I take some issue with the great and beloved Galadriel, mighty and noble and wondrous as she is, being described as the most powerful being in Middle Earth. That is VERY arguable, and I can hear some Holy Wizards (Saruman most loudly), Old Bombadil (though he soon turns his mind to something else and leaves the debate) a Balrog, and of course Sauron himself asserting differences of opinion with Phillipa on the matter. It would have been better for her to have been listed as the most powerful Elf, but I won't quibble over it so long as it does not become a glaring matter.

But so far everything sounds wonderful, and I was also very happy to hear that Gandalf has Thrain's Key from the onset of the story, which helps to assure that any meeting between himself and Thrain will indeed be flashback. Hope to see those beautiful, charmed smokerings, and his explosive enchantments against the goblins. Give me that and a Glorfindel cameo and I can expire a happy camper. lol. Anyway, great reveiw news thus far. Here are the links I've read. I haven't seen them all collected in a single thread thus far.

http://www.hollywood.com/...Kellen_LOTR/33918208

http://io9.com/...first-hobbit-footage

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 15 2012, 9:09am

Post #2 of 7 (552 views)
Shortcut
The coverage has just been fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've not seen one bad review or comment.

PJ (or whoever) made an excellent decision to show in 2D 24fps!

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2012, 9:51am

Post #3 of 7 (509 views)
Shortcut
sorry - [In reply to] Can't Post

- that was a bit testy even for me, wasn't it? I've left a message in feedback asking for my initial post to be deleted.

Wandering Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 15 2012, 10:08am

Post #4 of 7 (472 views)
Shortcut
knowing hiw [In reply to] Can't Post

passionatley you feel about Tolkien I'd say your reaction is understandable geordie don't worry about it:)

For my part, I eagerly await the new VLOG with some footage in it. Us unlucky people who weren't at Comic Con or Cinema Con have had no new footage since the trailer, these descriptions are doing nothing to calm my anticipation let me tell you!

So Frodo Baggins boarded the great ship and passed on into the west till the sweet fragrance on the air filled his sense and the sound of singing came over the water. Then it seemed to him that, as in a dream, he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country. The third age of Middle Earth was over, the days of the Rings had passed and the story and song of those times was at an end.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2012, 10:54am

Post #5 of 7 (420 views)
Shortcut
That's very kind of you - [In reply to] Can't Post

- thanks very much for saying so.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 15 2012, 1:52pm

Post #6 of 7 (372 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really liking what I am hearing, overall.

Let me all say that I've been enjoying your posts a lot recently. I've teased you pretty unmercifully in the past about your various "obsessions" but I hope you know it is all in good fun.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 15 2012, 7:56pm

Post #7 of 7 (230 views)
Shortcut
Lol. No problems Voronwe. I still hold to my bottom line sticking points, [In reply to] Can't Post

and there will continue to be things about the Trilogy that start my abdominal furnaces raging like Smaugs. lol. But, despite my dissaproval of certain choices Peter and co. made in LOTR films, I still love the films in spite of their warts, supported them heavily, and thought that they were great as films even if I found that there were flaws in the adaptation department.

And fear not, if Lindir gets a bunch of speaking lines in The Hobbit and Glorfindel is completely ignored or worse, or if Gandalf's scens of astonishing magic in the book are reduced to him shining his stafflight in the eyes of The Great Goblin, I will probably be doing ample thunder voicing and room darkening MadMadMad Wink And I still have two very narrowed, nay saying eyes on this business of Nazgul in Dunedain Spell Sealed crypts in Angmar.

But I am not a hater. I want these films to be wonderful and do well, and I really like what I am hearing so far, and what I have seen. As much as I liked the idea of some White Council and Necromancer scenes being in the films, I have long worried that Peter might try to do the entire movie as more of a LOTR prequel redux, rather than the charming tale that The Hobbit proper actually is, but everything I have seen so far suggests that he and the team are working really hard at striking the proper balance, and they seem to be doing a very good job of it, so I am very excited and hopeful.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.