Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The breaking of Gandalf's staff...

Otaku-sempai
Valinor

Jul 16 2012, 4:47pm

Views: 237
Shortcut
The breaking of Gandalf's staff... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the Peter Jackson films, which (for the most part) I viewed with great delight and satisfaction, I was alarmed that he added that scene wherein the Lord of the Nazgul and Gandalf confront one another on some upper level of Minas Tirith (instead of at the main gate) with the Nazgul, after a test of wills, using his power to shatter Gandalf's staff. Alas, if only I had been in that film planning session!!! (Of course, I would have already been kicked out after my violent protests over the rewrite of Faramir's character.)

I would have preferred that the Witch-king of the films had not broken Gandalf's staff; however, this seems to have set up the alterations to the scene between Aragorn and the Mouth of Sauron. Sauron's servant presents the company with a token, Frodo's mithril shirt, which leads to the beginnings of dispair. In the book, Gandalf was able to dispell this dispair and send the Mouth of Sauron packing. Here, however, Gandalf has lost his staff, making him more vulnerable. It is Aragorn who sees this and must rally the company with a dramatic gesture--in this case, removing the head of Sauron's messenger. Not an ideal solution, perhaps; but it serves its purpose.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Subject User Time
Tolkien at UVM - 2012 summer - week 2 - A Wizard's Staff bglenney_uvm Send a private message to bglenney_uvm Jul 14 2012, 2:01am
    Wizards are maiar spirits in human bodies, that's why they have powers Tigero Send a private message to Tigero Jul 14 2012, 3:08pm
        a wizard's power (minus the staff) bglenney_uvm Send a private message to bglenney_uvm Jul 16 2012, 3:10am
    I think it has various uses Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jul 14 2012, 4:48pm
        a wizard's staff bglenney_uvm Send a private message to bglenney_uvm Jul 16 2012, 3:16am
            The breaking of Gandalf's staff... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 16 2012, 4:47pm
    The staff is an instrument Mim Send a private message to Mim Jul 14 2012, 7:21pm
    The story of a magic-user who can't be killed is an old one. Curious Send a private message to Curious Jul 16 2012, 2:31am
        a wizard's staff - horcruxes - the good guys v. the bad guys bglenney_uvm Send a private message to bglenney_uvm Jul 16 2012, 3:30am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.