Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Official Comic-Con "Info & Updates" thread

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 8 2012, 5:38pm

Post #1 of 20 (1435 views)
Shortcut
Official Comic-Con "Info & Updates" thread Can't Post

With Comic-Con only a few days away, we're expecting lots of news and updates from our TORn staffer covering and working the event. To prevent the Moots & Other Events board from getting swamped and pushing other moot/event news off of page one, Comic-Con news will be funneled from the Home Page to the following boards:

TORn Moots & Other Events
: general Comic-Con recaps and comments will be posted here, and general News from Bree threads (threads posted automatically from Home Page news stories), will be deleted and re-posted in this thread.

The Hobbit Movie Discussion: Hobbit-specific news from the con will be funneled to this board, including the TORn Hobbit panel, the WB Hobbit panel and other Hobbit-specific news.

Gaming and Collecting: news about cool new Hobbit/LOTR collectibles will be found on this board.

Enjoy the coverage. It's going to be great! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 8 2012, 5:38pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 8 2012, 5:39pm

Post #2 of 20 (872 views)
Shortcut
SDCC is coming, what's a Hobbit to do at comic con 2012? [In reply to] Can't Post

There is just one week until Comic Con 2012 starts with Preview Night on Wednesday, July 11. But aside from the TORn panel and WB's panel for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, you may be wondering what else there is for a Hobbit fan to do. The Official SDCC website has put up schedules for panels, autograph sessions, films and portfolio reviews (aspiring artists, please take note). So here is your handy, dandy TORn guide to all things Hobbit and Lord of the Rings related at comic con this year.

There are no panels on Preview night, so this is the perfect time to explore the exhibit hall and visit all the vendors that will have LOTR and Hobbit related products. Here is a still growing list of booths to visit, including the booths that we will be sharing space with:

Badali Jewelry - #530/532 (and one home of TORn during SDCC)

Sideshow Collectibles - #1929

Warner Bros. - #4545

WETA - #3513B (second home to TORn)

Donato Arts - #4503

Gentle Giant - #3513

LEGO - #2829

Make sure to stop by and visit the TORn staff at both booth locations to purchase shirts and buttons, and have the chance to play any number of LOTR themed games. You will also be able to get more information about TORn's Hobbit Premiere Tour in November. And starting on Thursday the WB is going to have a full on fan experience located outside the convention center between Hall H and the Hilton Bayfront Hotel. Included in that experience will be some LOTR events such as video game play of Guardians of Middle-earth and LEGO the Lord of the rings: 3D Street Art. You will find all the details at http://comiccon.thewb.com/

THURSDAY:

Please accept our invitation to join TheOneRing.net in one of the convention's opening panels. We will be in room 6DE starting at 10:15am, please pay attention to the convention center's instructions on the proper entrances and exits for the panel room. Remember to wear your Tolkien themed costumes, we will be having a Cosplay meetup directly after the panel, out on the Terrace behind the Sails Pavilion. Later in the afternoon you will be able to choose from seeing Elijah Wood on the Wilfred panel, at 4pm in the Indigo Ballroom at the Hilton Bayfront, or of seeing Karl Urban moderate the Masters of the Web presentation at 4:30pm in room 24ABC.

FRIDAY:

This will be a fairly light day for Tolkien programming, but you can see a few LOTR cast members today. First up will be Sean Astin at 10:15am in room 6BCF for the Go Green: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles presentation. You can then have fun the rest of the day, enjoying the WB event outside, or wandering the exhibit hall, and then end your day with John Noble. At 7:15pm in room 6A, you can see a presentation for Dark Matters: Twisted but True, a show on the Science channel hosted by John Noble.

SATURDAY:

With the WB panel in Hall H in the afternoon, it is expected that some of you may line up, maybe even as early as Friday night. In that instance, TORn will be there to help you out. Maybe not the whole night, but don't be surprised if we pop up from time to time to host a game or two, give out some goodies, and basically, turn the Line into a Line Party. If you feel like taking a break from waiting to get into Hall H, you can find John Noble signing autographs for an hour, starting at 1:30pm out under the Sails Pavilion at table AA19. But please do make sure you are inside Hall H by no later than 2:30pm for the WB panel. The schedule listing promises looks at Pacific Rim, directed by Guillermo Del Toro, a quick look at Man of Steel, and a presentation for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey with Peter Jackson and numerous cast on hand.

SUNDAY:

The last item where you can find a LOTR connection is the Fringe Panel, starring John Noble, running at 10am in Hall H. After this, treat yourself to a complete run through the exhibit hall to ensure you have not missed any collectibles, games and fun before heading home. TheOneRing.net will be there till the very end, so please stop by, as often as you wish. Mae Govannon.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 8 2012, 5:42pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 8 2012, 5:40pm

Post #3 of 20 (911 views)
Shortcut
One ringer explains her SDCC excitement [In reply to] Can't Post

Shannon O'Toole is a life-long Lord of the Rings fan. In this blogpost on the San Diego Comic-Con Unofficial Blog, she details why fellow-fans should be excited for this year's edition.

As the release of The Hobbit approaches and Middle-earth once again lights up movie screens across the globe, The Lord of the Rings, the film trilogy that introduced many to Tolkien's world for the first time, has received a revitalization of sorts.

TORn's panel (10:15 on Thursday in room 6DE, folks) even gets a mention!

[More]

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 8 2012, 5:42pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 8 2012, 5:42pm

Post #4 of 20 (873 views)
Shortcut
io9 says Comic-Con 2012 to be fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

Popular webzine io9 says that 2012 is the year for fantasy and urban-fantasy at Comic-Con. And, with the line-up featuring The Hobbit, Breaking Dawn, ParaNorman, The Legend of Korra, Game Of Thrones, and True Blood, Teen Wolf, 666 Park Avenue, Supernatural and Beauty And The Beast (plus much more), it's a proposition that's difficult to dispute. There's also this paragraph buried near the bottom of the article:

True, Zack Snyder's Man of Steel is rumored to be revealing a trailer, but what is a short trailer compared to actual panel time (and footage) with Peter Jackson?

Now, I don't think I've seen any official word that Jackson will or won't be in attendance. But I think this is some good guesswork (or perhaps an inside tip).

Consider: the wrap party for the Hobbit is on July 7 (Connolly is startlingly specific compared to McKellen's much more vague comment that filming would conclude by the end of July. Comic-con starts July 11. Do you think the boss of the show wouldn't attend the big promotional launch of his film at one of the world's key fantasy-sf conventions?

[More] | [TORn's SDCC Panel]

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 8 2012, 5:43pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 8 2012, 5:44pm

Post #5 of 20 (887 views)
Shortcut
Calling all Tolkien cosplayers attending SDCC [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/...yers-attending-sdcc/

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 8 2012, 5:45pm

Post #6 of 20 (933 views)
Shortcut
TheOneRing.net at Comic-Con: Full details! [In reply to] Can't Post

With only a few weeks before the San Diego Comic-Con, TheOneRing.net is excited to formally announce that we have been invited to present a "Hobbit" panel at SDCC. The website also has extensive plans to bring the experience to fans who can't attend.

With a time slot that has become something of a tradition, the fansite will open the show on the first hour of the first day. Thursday, July 12, from 10:15 to 11:15 a.m., in room 6DE, TORn will talk Hobbit. The room holds 1,000, and like every year, especially this year, a capacity crowd is expected with many unable to get in. Being the first event of the day also means that if the room is full early, we can start early and stretch our hour into more if possible. Another great feature of being the first event of the day, the convention is more liberal about giveaway items.

TORn will also be present at not one but two table locations on the 500,000 square foot dealers floor where supports can buy shirts, buttons and talk to a large contingent of staffer. (More details later, but one table next to Badali Jewelry and one table with Weta Workshop! Expect new tshirts, details to follow!)
But what to expect from a TORn presentation?
* It will be 100% re-written, not a duplicate of any previous presentation
* A audio and visual extravaganza
* It is expected to feature video content from Weta Workshop
* It may contain pictures of New Zealand
* It will feature around 6 TORn staffers (the most ever) with several more attending
* Special guests have been invited
* Two panelists have been on "The Hobbit" set
* A big portion of Q&A
More about Comic-Con after the break including info for audience at home:

Staffers have been calling the current period of less-than-six-months before "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," Hobbit-eve and this annual popular-culture convention may serve as something of a kickoff to the mainstream or casual fans that the big event is on its way this December 14th.

Saturday, July 14, Warner Bros. has a three hour block of time reserved in the 6,500 seat Hall H, where everybody fully expects an official Hobbit presentation. Since Hobbit principal filming wraps around the first week of July, and Billy Connolly says the wrap party is scheduled for July 7, rumors are swirling that some principal figures from the cast may attend that presentation including Richard Armitige and Martin Freeman. Part of the job of being in the movie is promoting it and word on the street is that WB will start its massive campaign at Comic-Con with powerful stars. We will be there and report, of course!

Another big part of the show with be Hobbit merchandise that we are guessing will be everywhere and we fully expect to report on that as well. We will bring photos, the written word and video, all to cover Comic-Con to those not able to attend in person. More details. Remember to follow us at Twitter: @TheOneRingNet and on our Facebook Page.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 8 2012, 5:46pm

Post #7 of 20 (953 views)
Shortcut
TORn Comic-Con panel, Thursday, 10:15 a.m., posted here first [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi - We have a packed panel at this year's SDCC and we will try to present it on video, but it starts Thursday morning. However, if we get all 1,000 seats filled early, we will start early.

At least two panelists have been on The Hobbit set. Weta participation. Fandalf stuff. We need three hours. Hope to see some of you there!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 8 2012, 9:49pm

Post #8 of 20 (883 views)
Shortcut
Out of curiosity [In reply to] Can't Post

What, exactly, is cosplay?

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 9:59pm

Post #9 of 20 (912 views)
Shortcut
oh wise and powerful google... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cosplay , short for "costume play", is a type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centred around role play. A broader use of the term "cosplay" applies to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage, regardless of the cultural context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay

In terms of Comic-Con, it will refer to anyone in costume.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 11 2012, 5:33pm

Post #10 of 20 (791 views)
Shortcut
TheOneRing.net turns Comic-Con into #HobbitCon! [In reply to] Can't Post

We are very excited to share with you our LIVE coverage from this year's Comic-Con, now appropriately renamed #HobbitCon! Throughout the next few days, our 100% volunteer staff will descend on San Diego to give all of us who can't make it to the show, the best LIVE coverage a not for profit website can muster! That includes a live blogging feature which follows select staffers as they work their way around the exhibit hall and panels, a LIVE video feed from the TORn Tuesday team and Stickam.com, and a special Flickr gallery that we hope to update often with great Tolkien related photos.

In a year in which The Hobbit will rule Comic-Con, we want to give you the absolute best online experience possible. All of this takes place in our LIVE event center - http://www.theonering.net/sdcc. As we all know, if you step on the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to! [LIVE from Comic-Con 2012] Please do take a moment to share that link with your friends and family.

(And, if you enjoy this type of coverage from us, please consider a small donation to help us handle the expenses. Even just a few dollars can go a long way! )

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 11 2012, 6:22pm

Post #11 of 20 (800 views)
Shortcut
I have a link for this on my bookmark bar! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 12 2012, 2:23am

Post #12 of 20 (789 views)
Shortcut
Go here for images: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theoneringnet/

The Hobbit Live page shows images in the Twitter feed and there's a gallery for a slideshow but not all images are showing up there.

Go the link above to see more images from Comic-Con. I think these are the ones in the Twitter feed but it's easier to find them all at Flickr.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 12 2012, 3:36am

Post #13 of 20 (890 views)
Shortcut
----> Link to Live TORn Coverage of Comic-Con in here! (Also on the Home Page starting Thurs a.m.) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/live/comiccon/hobbit/

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 12 2012, 7:08pm

Post #14 of 20 (1915 views)
Shortcut
The view from Hobbitcon: Comic-Con round-up July 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

From all accounts, Hobbitcon has started with a massive bang. In particular, images we've seen of the WETA booth over in San Diego are just amazing.

Carven statues of dwarves, massive, replica props in stunning detail, eight-foot-tall trolls, life-size lego renditions of Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the Wizard plus 3D posters of the main cast -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg!

TORn's booths are proving really popular with fans, too. If you're going, and have been thinking of grabbing a t-shirt of a badge, let me just say that you better act fast -- they are going like hot-cakes!

I can't cope with giant crowds, and I'm starting to wish I was there! So, read on for a slightly madcap round-up of the Hobbitcon frenzy including just about every link or photo that I can find!

William, Bert and Tom at the WETA booth

We saw some sneak peek shots last night, but now William, Bert and Tom -- the famous trolls from the Roast Mutton chapter of the Hobbit -- have been fully unveiled.

The level of detail is superb, but what impresses me the most is the expressiveness and feeling in the faces. Unlike the Moria cave troll, these trolls have intelligence. Maybe a dim sort of intelligence, but there's a thought process going on there! What's more, they talk apparently!

Note how the pose is different from pose that the trolls are frozen in when we see them in the Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition. This new version is obviously some time before they're turned to stone by Gandalf's cleverness and the rising sun.

Our friend Quint over at AICN also has a nice set of images of the trolls from different angles. Head here check them out!

Dwarven guard statues and old friends

These fellows look seriously intimidating, guarding the WETA booth with their huge double-bladed axes. Maybe we'll next see them guarding the empty, ruined halls of the Lonely Mountain?

Plus there's a few old friends from Lord of the Rings like this one on the left as well.

WETA's replica props

If you've got loads of money, these limited edition replica WETA props could be yours!

Handmade by master swordsmith Peter Lyon, they're just gorgeous pieces of art.

The descriptive text for Orcrist: "Each sword comes in its own case case with a Certificate of Authenticity, signed by Peter Lyon and Richard Taylor, and a 10-minute DVD showing how these swords were crafted by Weta Workshop." They're available from Q4, 2012, apparently!

I know people are going to go crazy over the silver gleam of Orcrist and Sting, but I think the axes of Dwalin, in particular, are a revelation.

And the runes on them? They read, I think, something like: "Umraz" and "Uklakw"

WETA Collectibles 1:6 scale figures

At the WETA booth, there's also series of WETA Collectibles 1:6 scale minatures from The Hobbit on display.

It's hard to decide which is better: Bilbo in a half-crouch with Sting, Gandalf with his staff, Dwalin and his axes, Balin about to draw sword, Bombur dashing about with his soup label in hand, or the fearsome-looking Thorin Oakenshield with Orcrist.

Life-sized LoTR statues from LEGO

I remember, as a child, going to see world LEGO exhibitions and being completely awed by the skill and patience that went into their monumental creations.

Looking at these life-sized versions of Bilbo and Gandalf, made from thousands of blocks, I can't help but be amazed all over again at the sheer attention to detail and persistence that goes into making these things. What a job that would be to have!

Sixteen 3D Hobbit character posters

Lenticular printing produces images with an illusion of depth. If these images are a hint of what the 3D version of The Hobbit could be like, then it might be worth reconsidering your devotion to 2D -- because they're astonishingly lifelike and eye-catching.

Sixteen in total are on display in lightboxes at SDCC: all 12 dwarves, Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadriel and a particularly evil-looking Gollum who you wouldn't want to meet alone in a deep, dark cave. Some details to look for Ori with his book and quill, the curl of Gandalf's staff, Bofur with a flute... but really go check them all out over at Cinemablend -- they have a comprehensive gallery of the whole lot.

Other cool things:

Oh, and the TORn talk is on right now! So go check it out on our live feed or we'll send Gollum after you!

(This post was edited by calisuri on Jul 13 2012, 4:12pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 13 2012, 5:33am

Post #15 of 20 (773 views)
Shortcut
Since I didn't know that [In reply to] Can't Post

Is my geek card revoked? Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 13 2012, 11:50am

Post #16 of 20 (757 views)
Shortcut
you've got a geek card? [In reply to] Can't Post

I want one!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 14 2012, 2:11am

Post #17 of 20 (787 views)
Shortcut
Wood and Serkis troll the WETA booth [In reply to] Can't Post

Elijah Wood and Andy Serkis visit the WETA booth to say hello to Richard Taylor, Daniel Falconer and the crew.

The WETA team took the opportunity to show-off the full-size trolls they have on display. It's the first time Frodo has seen the actual trolls. Andy Serkis was spotted with a Pocketses button from TheOneRing.net.

A couple more photos below the cut!

Richard Taylor with Elijah Wood and Andy Serkis

Elijah Wood at the Comic-Con WETA booth

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 14 2012, 1:32pm

Post #18 of 20 (763 views)
Shortcut
A link to attendee's videos [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to Daniel LB! Smile

http://www.stickam.com/theonering

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 14 2012, 6:32pm

Post #19 of 20 (945 views)
Shortcut
A Newbie at Comic-Con [In reply to] Can't Post

Intro: One of our Ringer Spies, frenz, didn't know quite what to expect when she bought her ticket to Comic-Con 2012. Orcs and goblins and bears, oh my! Not to mention a line of over 7,000 people to get into Hall H (capacity of 6,500) for the WB panel, scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Pacific time today. Here are some of her impressions:

So what happens when a new Tolkien fan finds herself at Comic-Con? A sensory overload? Certainly. Everything is big and loud and insane, and it's caused an unstoppable grin, which is quite something since I'm not normally much for grinning incessantly. But at Comic-Con, you will be miserable if you can't grin:

A cosplayer of sorts?

And then there are the sane people:

A couple camping out for Hall H Panel.

Of course I would never find myself in a line of over 7,000 people. No, that would never happen:

Waiting in line Saturday morning for Panel H

Gotta run. Another line party has started!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 15 2012, 12:16pm

Post #20 of 20 (1377 views)
Shortcut
Panel photos from Hobbitcon in Hall H! [In reply to] Can't Post

Barliman's chat regular dwnfalofnumenor snapped these really nice shots of all the panellists for the Hobbit presentation in Hall H today.

Nothing spoilery at all, just some really nice captures of Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens, Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Richard Armitage and Elijah Wood all chatting away happily!

[Our complete gallery]

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.