Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The history of The Pants
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2007, 2:56am

Post #26 of 37 (116 views)
Shortcut
Pie is funny, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like pie.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but I lost TX in a poker game.

Aelric
The Shire

Feb 26 2007, 1:34pm

Post #27 of 37 (110 views)
Shortcut
ORLY! [In reply to] Can't Post

*SPLAT!!*

Oh, we'll give you flavor of choice. Evil

mmmm pie!

Elanor
Bree

Feb 26 2007, 2:25pm

Post #28 of 37 (116 views)
Shortcut
NARPS? [In reply to] Can't Post

What are they, please? And could someone also explain "Mods Up"? (Sorry... I'm new...)

"Frodo thought for a moment. 'Well, Sam, what about elanor, the sun-star, you remember the little golden flower in the grass of Lothlorien?'"

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Feb 26 2007, 5:21pm

Post #29 of 37 (135 views)
Shortcut
It's a play on NARF... [In reply to] Can't Post

meaning Not A Real Fan, a defiant bit of self-deprecation which many of us non-purists took upon ourselves back when the movies were new and it was still common to see purists denouncing them. I guess NARP would mean Not A Real Pantist or something.

Fight for us! And regain your honor, learn valuable technical skills, and qualify for up to four years' college tuition! What say you?

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 26 2007, 5:35pm

Post #30 of 37 (101 views)
Shortcut
"mods up" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a feature of the old TORn boards. You could give a "score" to posts that were really informative, funny, or just well written, as a little "heads up" to other members that they should read them. That would be called "modding up", where "modding" is short for "moderating".
Also, you could mod a post down, if it contained vulgar language or violated posting rules in some way. Then it would be noticeable to the Admins, so they could come along and delete the offensive post, or give the poster a good *fwap!*, whatever was necessary.
Sometimes, though, people would mod posts up or down based on whether or not they agreed with the content of the post, which is not what modding was originally intended for.
Anyway, you can't mod on the new TORn boards, so most people are just typing it in as "mods up". Watch for L. Ron Half-elven's replies. They are often modded up for his fantastic wit, which has caused some members to place him on "auto mod". Wink

And welcome!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 26 2007, 5:43pm

Post #31 of 37 (122 views)
Shortcut
Ah, remnants from the old Boards... [In reply to] Can't Post

More on "mods up". On the old Boards, once you had accumulated 100 posts on a specific board, you had "modding powers". Each post was bulleted with a filled-in circle. When responding to a post, you could see at the top the word "Score" with a "5" in a box next to it. With modding powers, you had the ability to increase that score by 1 point. The maximum score was 10. Any post with a score about 5 receive a filled-in square for its bullet. Conversely, a trollish post could be downmodded, that is, you could subtract 1 from the score. That post would be bulleted with an open circle, and that let the Admins know that action might need to be taken on their part. If a score dropped below 0, the post could no longer be seen (unless you had adjusted your profile to view posts with scores lower than 0).

If you'd like to see some fine examples of this, click on "Discussion" at left, and go to the old "Reading Room", where a little "modding war" occurred in two threads near the top of that board!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

Elanor
Bree

Feb 26 2007, 10:25pm

Post #32 of 37 (89 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

to all of you for taking the time to explain things. I enjoyed the *mods war* in the old Reading Room, now that I understand it (and "Not A Real Pantist" - *snort*). I see now how people are replying to particular posts here with a *mods up* title - I originally thought it was just a way of bringing a thread to the top of the forum by posting in it, like you see a "Bump" post in some places.

And thank you for your welcome.

"Frodo thought for a moment. 'Well, Sam, what about elanor, the sun-star, you remember the little golden flower in the grass of Lothlorien?'"

Elven
Valinor

Feb 27 2007, 2:53am

Post #33 of 37 (83 views)
Shortcut
Pants! [In reply to] Can't Post

The first pants thread I ever came across was a TORN - it took me 10 minutes to work out what the hell was going on!!
Then I fell of my chair - holding my sides - and pants! Sly

I have my standard 'pants' line I put up everytime I see the thread come to light again...

Luv the pants thread!!

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer. "lucky it still fits if you be askin' me."

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Feb 27 2007, 3:41am

Post #34 of 37 (70 views)
Shortcut
*mods way up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone for a Mutual Moderation Society?

Fight for us! And regain your honor, learn valuable technical skills, and qualify for up to four years' college tuition! What say you?

teddiwen
The Shire

Feb 27 2007, 7:23am

Post #35 of 37 (53 views)
Shortcut
ty [In reply to] Can't Post

for the "debriefing".

so informative

teddi
~Old Toby Productions

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 27 2007, 5:13pm

Post #36 of 37 (61 views)
Shortcut
Not real pants? *contemplates and reality-tests* / ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 1 2007, 11:07pm

Post #37 of 37 (57 views)
Shortcut
LOL! / [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.