Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**LotR Discussion: Introduction**
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2007, 3:02am

Post #51 of 73 (134 views)
Shortcut
Certainly [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, you want an example?Blush

Off the top of my head, I would cite various passages of the Bible that seem either overly familiar or irrelevant to my life until I happen to actually read them and find lightning bolts or heart-piercing beauty or just fascinating puzzles.

Where's Frodo?

Patty
Immortal

Oct 16 2007, 4:40am

Post #52 of 73 (134 views)
Shortcut
Cha -ching! [In reply to] Can't Post

good answer.

For Gondor!

elentari3018
Lorien

Oct 16 2007, 5:00am

Post #53 of 73 (128 views)
Shortcut
My answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did you first read LotR? Because PJ's movies interested me a lot... i feel guilty that i'm not a bookie before movie watcher but seriously, ever since '02, i've reread LotR 5 times and now on my sixth so my heart is indeed in the books so very much.Heart

What did you expect it to be like before you started? Yes definitely... FOtR and TTT interested me enough to read it all in one go... i couldn't stop reading it and i already had the movie characters images in my head so that helped in visualizing them a bit.

What was your initial response? LOVE SO MUCH LOVE. A lot of description but I got into it more than I did for the Hobbit actually.

How have your feelings about it changed since then? Still so much love... rereading FotR at the moment and the Love is still unending, undying and forever. I've come to appreciate it more because i know how and why Tolkien wrote it because i have read Tolkien's biography and his Letters numerous times and appreciate it 10x more than if i hadn't read Carpenter's biography and the LEtters of JRR Tolkien.

What would you most like to learn more about during our discussion? The obscure points i haven't read about before ...like that NE Brigand thread about the ordering of the chapters... now that is something to ponder about. ;)

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Kdgard
Bree

Oct 16 2007, 5:14am

Post #54 of 73 (124 views)
Shortcut
This should be fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all! This is my first book discussion and I'm looking forward to it! So, let's see...

1) I first read LOTR because the three paperbacks were a gift. My sister also got me "The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth", which is sitting right by the computer as I type this. I had already read The Hobbit and had seen the animated movie and listened to the record soundtrack I don't know how many times.
2) I was just getting into Dungeons & Dragons at that time, so I guess I felt it would be like that game and like The Hobbit.
3) It actually took me three different attempts to get into the books. I was in junior-high when I received these books, and maybe they were just a little difficult to read with all of the complex and strange elvish names. Everytime, I would start by re-reading The Hobbit, and then I'd get about 1/4 through FOTR and it would grind to a halt. The book does start out kind of slow, and for some reason it just didn't capture my attention. The third time I attempted to read LOTR was the summer of 1985, right before my Senior year in high-school began. By this time, I had been exposed to more difficult books like Homer's Odyssey and the works of Shakespeare. Also, this third time, I decided that I wasn't going to read The Hobbit first and would just start with FOTR. That time something finally clicked! I couldn't put it down, and when I finished the last sentence of FOTR, and set it down and immediately picked up TTT and continued on and the same into ROTK. I guess it was just finally the right place and time in my life to truly enjoy the book.
4) I think since the movies came out, and I've re-read the book a couple of times, I've developed a deeper appreciation of the story. I find that it offers much inspiration for my daily life. My absolute favorite quote in the book is Gandalf's line about, "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we can decide is what to do with the time that is given to us". More than anything else, that quote makes me want to do something special with my life; with the time that is given to me.
5) I would just like to learn more about the book and my own ideas by comparing them to other people's points of view, and I must say I'm looking forward to it!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 16 2007, 5:16am

Post #55 of 73 (111 views)
Shortcut
Always glad to oblige with an obscure point! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Oct. 15-21 for the Maps, Foreword, and Prologue.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 16 2007, 5:18am

Post #56 of 73 (112 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the discussion! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which you've already joined above, of course. I look forward to more of your thoughts. Maybe something about LotR and the Odyssey later in our discussion?

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Tyler
Lorien

Oct 16 2007, 7:46am

Post #57 of 73 (131 views)
Shortcut
First book discussion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did you first read LotR?

My aunt suggested them after getting them from her husband for christmas from her husband some odd years ago.

What did you expect it to be like before you started?

The hobbit
or
there and back again.

What was your initial response?

AWESOME!

How have your feelings about it changed since then?
Hasn't.

Never doubt that a small group of peple can change the world indeed,that is the onely thing that ever has......Margaret mead

(This post was edited by Tyler on Oct 16 2007, 7:49am)

Humbert
The Shire

Oct 16 2007, 1:07pm

Post #58 of 73 (110 views)
Shortcut
I seem to have taken longer than you, though! [In reply to] Can't Post

Still, it's nice to know I'm not alone. (Indeed, Kdgard seems to have had much the same experience.)

As far as seeing my nick around, you may have done a (very!) few times but I don't post much. (Alas, no time.) On the old boards my name was "Orald" (many ages of men ago, I count it) - you wouldn't have seen that one any more frequently.

Still, I lurked my way through one discussion of LR, as well as The Hobbit (though I think I read that one after the fact) and the Sil. This'll be my first time participating however (in whatever small manner I can manage).

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2007, 2:08pm

Post #59 of 73 (115 views)
Shortcut
It's great to see so many new nicks [In reply to] Can't Post

Both movie-firsters and book-firsters who are new to the discussion here in the Reading Room. Welcome to all of you!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 16 2007, 7:59pm

Post #60 of 73 (120 views)
Shortcut
and he means this sincerely!!! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Just teasing, NEB.

But still counting on you for obscure points. You've never let me down yet.

Sly

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope. Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love."
~~~Reinhold Niebuhr

Kdgard
Bree

Oct 17 2007, 1:15am

Post #61 of 73 (96 views)
Shortcut
Just have fun with it [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi WhiteLadyEowyn! You spoke of "Appearing not smart enough for this kind of thing". You shouldn't worry about that. I just started on the discussion boards for the first time last week, and this is my first time discussing a book like this...well since Lit classes in school eons ago anyway. I'll admit that I too felt a little nervous about joining in, since many of these good folks seemed to have read LOTR an infinite number of times more than myself. But everyone here, so far, has been incredibly nice! I feel like we're all just sitting around in some coffee shop (or pub, take your pick) and having a relaxing conversation. It's not about who knows the most about LOTR, it's all about Fellowship (yes, pun intended). I'm looking at this as a great opportunity to gain a greater knowledge of the book. Here will be a chance to ask questions about things that might have me puzzled otherwise. Also, even for these folks who have discussed the book over and over, there's always a chance that a brand new person might have a brand new perspective on something that no one has considered before. I hope you'll continue to join in on the discussions!! Just have fun with it, okay?

Kdgard

Atlas
Bree

Oct 17 2007, 4:42am

Post #62 of 73 (97 views)
Shortcut
Cover art [In reply to] Can't Post

It looked like it would have fighting and adventures. And it did. But it wasn't as much fighting and adventures as I wanted then and a lot more talking and description. Over time, my tastes matured and I started appreciating the story as a whole a bit more. I never really got a good feel for a first read through the story because I read the thing out of order starting with TTT and finishing with FOTR.

"The grand scheme of God is inscrutable; the object of life is virtue, not pleasure; and obedience, not liberty, is the means of its attainment." ~Russell Kirk

lumpkin
The Shire

Oct 17 2007, 10:36pm

Post #63 of 73 (106 views)
Shortcut
Rankin & Bass are to blame [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR again? Wow, I have been away awhile but it's like coming back to an old friend. Sorry to have missed CoH.

After seeing the R&B version on TV at age 10 (which, despite it's now obvious faults, Captivated me), I decided it must be read (even then I realized TV/movie adaptations usually failed to live up to the book). I already loved the Hobbit, so it just made sense to continue reading.

Dark and lovely and deep. I kept looking at the pictures on the cover & imagining what part of the story that might be.

I thrived on the detail--the minutiae. Arguably the appendix became my favorite part of the book. Gandalf's wisdom and the elves "sacrifice" made a big impression on me--much more so than Frodo & Sam's. I also love the mental images summoned by my reading. My Middle Earth is like no other's, and I treasure it.

Not much, now that I think about it.

What would you most like to learn more about during our discussion?
Bits and bobs. Mathoms collected by the collected wisdom here.

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 18 2007, 2:30am

Post #64 of 73 (79 views)
Shortcut
you/ve been there, and back again? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR again? Wow, I have been away awhile but it's like coming back to an old friend.

Cool glad you're back.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope. Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love."
~~~Reinhold Niebuhr

Saelind
Lorien

Oct 18 2007, 4:29am

Post #65 of 73 (80 views)
Shortcut
intro [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did you first read LotR? Summer of 2001. Blush I had read The Hobbit when I was younger but got bogged down with the first couple of chapters of Fellowship. My mom sent me my copy since I didn’t have one.

What did you expect it to be like before you started? Typical fantasy: a little magic, swords, good guys, bad guys.

What was your initial response? WOW! I kicked myself thoroughly for not reading it sooner. I identified with the spiritual landscape Tolkien used particularly the journey of Sam and Frodo across Mordor.

How have your feelings about it changed since then? They have just deepened. I appreciate the language Tolkien uses. The richness and depth of his world entrances me.

What would you most like to learn more about during our discussion? Appreciate the “boring” bits more! Wink

I enjoy the little “nuggets” that people discover that I didn’t know were there. The variety of life experience in this group also adds different viewpoints to the text.

White Gull
Lorien

Oct 18 2007, 5:00pm

Post #66 of 73 (80 views)
Shortcut
Welllll [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did you first read LotR? It had been given to me as a gift, and I'd loved the Hobbit, sooooo.

What did you expect it to be like before you started? Excellent

What was your initial response? I was incredibly sad for 2 reasons. 1. The book ended WAY before the back cover. (This sadness was rectified when I finally read the appendix. 2. Frodo sailed and Sam had the "good life." This has never been rectified. (That's why I write fanfic.)

How have your feelings about it changed since then? Only grown deeper.

What would you most like to learn more about during our discussion? I don't know.

I'll be throwing out a bunch of questions this week; please feel no obligation to answer all of them.

Riel
The Shire

Oct 19 2007, 2:45pm

Post #67 of 73 (63 views)
Shortcut
another movie-firster... [In reply to] Can't Post

to be perfectly honest, as strange as this might sound, i had never even HEARD of LOTR before the movies came out. i remember when FOTR came to theater, i was 14 i think, and my dad made me go see it with him because he had read the books when he was a teenager and really liked them. why he never mentioned it BEFORE i don't know...Tongue jk. Anyways, i went with him and fell immediately in love with it! Heart i didn't actually get the books until after i saw TTT, but when i finally got them, i read through the entire thing.

well, i don't know that i actually had any 'expectations' about the book, other than i guess that it would be like the movies. i figured it would be amazing. i was right. Wink

my initial response was definitely amazement. i knew i had really stumbled across a treasure. ME became very real to me, and i felt like i was really THERE. whenever Tolkien describes something, i can picture it, and experience what the characters were experiencing.

they've only grown. i continue to fall more and more in love with the books the more i read them. it just so happens that i have recently been working my way thru the LOTR books again before this discussion started, so i was very excited. Wink alas, this is only my 2nd time to read thru it (i'm about halfway through TTT). it seems i'm always busy with college and whatnot...but i read it whenever i find the spare time. i would say that the books have become a very important part in my life, even more than a little "treasure" like i mentioned above...they're very personal to me, like i said, a part of my life. i sometimes think back and recollect on my earlier years and wonder how on earth i ever lived without LOTR. lol i hold it very close to my heart.

What would you most like to learn more about during our discussion?

anything, really. i love hearing about other people's views on different things in the books, whether it's fellow "semi-newbies" like myself, or those who are already "wise in the ways of Middle Earth." Wink i learn a lot of things i never thought about before...i'm really looking forward to it!

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

~Galadriel

Kirei

Oct 20 2007, 4:47am

Post #68 of 73 (58 views)
Shortcut
Another Lurker comes into the light [In reply to] Can't Post

My older brother first read the LotR in the mid-70s when he was about 14 years old. When I expressed an interest he told me I was too young to read them. I was eleven and not the most prolific reader. I started reading to spite my brother. I finished for me.

I expected something like Alice in Wonderland only harder to understand and more violence and grown up vocabulary.

At first I thought it was a good adventure story and couldn't understand how this was the book my brother thought was too grown up for me. Sure the Black Riders were kind of scary, but I went to a school named for Washington Irving's most famous school teacher. Scary horsemen were nothing new for me.

It became a great story in Bree. I was delighted by Frodo's dancing on the table singing the original version of Cat & Fiddle. How clever. I was terrified, well terrified and intrigued, by the stranger smoking in the corner. Has there ever been a better character introduction. By Rivendell I couldn't put it down. I laughed, I cried, I held my breath.

I advise all first time readers struggling with the first chapters to push through to Rivendell. If you aren't hooked by that time, there is little hope of it. After my first time, I went back and read The Hobbit and then re-read LotR and then everything with Tolkien's name on it that I could find. I've been at it ever since.

Now it's like an old friend. I am always carrying one of the books. They came in handy for those "need to read" ocassions. Dentist waiting room, bus/train/plane, eating lunch alone. It doesn't matter which book I have with me. It doesn't matter if I lost my bookmark and can't remember what page I was on. It doesn't matter how long it has been since the last time I read from it. Open it to any page and I am pulled into the story. I still laugh and cry and hold my breath.

What would you most like to learn more about during our discussion? Fresh, different perspectives. Learning things I still don't know. I've been mostly a lurker for a long time. This seemed like a good opportunity to come out of the shadows.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 20 2007, 4:50am

Post #69 of 73 (55 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it great [In reply to] Can't Post

what sibling rivalry can do for you? Cool

It's nice to see you delurked, Kirei.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 20 2007, 5:47am

Post #70 of 73 (52 views)
Shortcut
The Black Riders and the Headless Horseman? [In reply to] Can't Post

What an interesting connection -- thanks for that, and welcome to the discussion!

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 21 2007, 9:40pm

Post #71 of 73 (39 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I did [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in May 2006 that I discovered TORn.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 21 2007, 9:40pm

Post #72 of 73 (41 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! Should be fun :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 21 2007, 9:50pm

Post #73 of 73 (72 views)
Shortcut
Thanks and yes, as I've read the books more [In reply to] Can't Post

I've come to appreciate the pacing and the details. I can see how those who'd had years to absorb all the details and nuances of the books, who had the totality of "Middle Earth" in their heads before seeing the films, would have felt the films were dashing through things quickly.

Thank you for the welcome :-).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.