Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
New: Guardians of Middle-earth gameplay trailer

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 1 2012, 4:35am

Post #1 of 19 (457 views)
Shortcut
New: Guardians of Middle-earth gameplay trailer Can't Post

Warner Bros Interactive has just released its first gameplay trailer for Guardians of Middle-earth.

Digital Spy reports the trailer showcases the new Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) game's multi-player combat and objectives, and features battles between the likes of Gandalf and Sauron.

Exclusively developed for consoles by Monolith Prductions, the game sees players attempt to conquer opposition fortresses, using the abilities and skills of their guardian characters. It features 20 "guardians", including Gollum, Galadriel, Legolas and Gimli.

Thanks to Ringer Irfon for the heads-up.

[Digital Spy] | [Trailer] | XBLAFans review]

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 1 2012, 2:24pm

Post #2 of 19 (219 views)
Shortcut
Meh. It looks alright [In reply to] Can't Post

The first trailer made the game look good. This trailer not so much. The lego game looks far better Wink

Chopsta123
Gondor

Jul 1 2012, 9:59pm

Post #3 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
Trailers for videogames [In reply to] Can't Post

very rarely come close to what the game is actuallly like. There are exceptions but they are few. Unimpressed

http://ce-games.forumotion.com/
The forum for the LOTR Character Elimination Game!

Evernight
Rivendell

Jul 2 2012, 1:33am

Post #4 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
Sigh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Am I the only one tired of these LOTR games focused only in war, battles and fighting? Those elements are of course present in both the movies and the books, but there is more to them than just that. I wish we had a LOTR game similar to The Witcher, Dragon Age (the first one) or Skyrim, were there is fighting, but also a lot of story, character development, lore, and exploring.*

*Yes, I know there is LOTRO, but many of us don't like the MMO aspect.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 2 2012, 2:08am

Post #5 of 19 (204 views)
Shortcut
I'm one who doesn't like fighting at all [In reply to] Can't Post

and have been pretty much abandoned by the video gaming industry.

I loved Myst, Riven, Grim Fandango, the Zork games from the 90s, Syberia, The Journeyman Project, Lighthouse: The Dark Being, Neverhood, Amerzone, and Amber: Journeys Beyond.

wow... it's amazing to think of how many games I played back then, although I did a lot of them with my sons who were young at the time. But if a game even requires one 'battle' to advance, I just can't do it. I am not suited for them and they are too anxiety producing... not fun.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

imin
Valinor

Jul 2 2012, 9:33am

Post #6 of 19 (185 views)
Shortcut
There are loads of games that dont have any fighting in now [In reply to] Can't Post

The game industry used to be completely focused on teenage and young males now its totally different. More women of middle age play games than teenage boys and the market is reflecting that with lots of social games which a lot of women prefer, and i imagine a fair few men, just like a lot of women like CoD for example.

I do think the games that are marketed hardest or most publicized are games such as CoD as its a franchise which makes billions for basically changing nothing.

imin
Valinor

Jul 2 2012, 9:35am

Post #7 of 19 (191 views)
Shortcut
I would love a middle earth skyrim! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh that would be so good, though it would probably mean i would end up spending all my time completely fixed on a computer screen Unsure lol.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 2 2012, 11:55am

Post #8 of 19 (191 views)
Shortcut
if CoD refers to Call of Duty... [In reply to] Can't Post

and you think that game appeals to middle aged women... then you're wrong.

I want an environment I can roam around and explore at my own pace.

imin
Valinor

Jul 2 2012, 12:08pm

Post #9 of 19 (180 views)
Shortcut
Did you read what i wrote? [In reply to] Can't Post

I said there are more games now that appeal to women such as social games as the games industry has changed in the past 10 years or so as it realises just how much money there is from women playing games - not surprising when they make up half the world. I didnt mean there are legions of middle aged women whose favourite game is CoD, though i know plenty of women who like all types of games, just as not all teenage boys like CoD - which yes means call of duty.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 2 2012, 12:15pm

Post #10 of 19 (176 views)
Shortcut
yeah... I did read what you wrote. [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry, I seem to have irritated you.

checking out now.

imin
Valinor

Jul 2 2012, 12:19pm

Post #11 of 19 (181 views)
Shortcut
No need to check out [In reply to] Can't Post

Just would like the things i write to be read properly and not misconstrued. I will try to word my posts extremely carefully in the future to avoid such problems as i dont want to make you feel like i am annoyed with you, for my part im sorry.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 2 2012, 2:12pm

Post #12 of 19 (160 views)
Shortcut
I'll follow it [In reply to] Can't Post

But only for any Hobbit connections that might be revealed :-) The game style is not my type, which I'm quite happy about, since I don't have the console systems that it uses.

Tigero
Rivendell

Jul 3 2012, 6:39am

Post #13 of 19 (163 views)
Shortcut
To be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't play that game even for free, looks really crappy. And it propably wouldn't have a level-up system(?) so with those few characters and most likely few maps, it would get boring after one hour of gameplay. And visuals were pretty bad too.

''A Balrog offgh morrffgothf.''

(This post was edited by Tigero on Jul 3 2012, 6:40am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 6:56am

Post #14 of 19 (175 views)
Shortcut
I don't know why [In reply to] Can't Post

But this made me laugh out loud

I wouldn't play that game even for free

It does look like a very pointless battle game.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 4 2012, 2:35am

Post #15 of 19 (166 views)
Shortcut
In that case, you might like [In reply to] Can't Post

The Assassins Creed titles, especially Brotherhood. Quite complex, full of historical fiction, puzzles and plenty of room and time to roam around exploring Italy at the time of DaVinci.

Another title with as much freedom to roam and do nothing in particular if you don't want to (with awesome vistas of c1900 South West US and Northern Mexico) is Red Dead Redemption.

Tigero
Rivendell

Jul 4 2012, 9:13am

Post #16 of 19 (167 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it, already? [In reply to] Can't Post

It has elves, dragons dwarfes (dwemer). Especially elven desings are really similar to those of LOTR movies.

Assassins creed is alot of fun until you start dungenioneering, they are all the same and time wasting, deja vu all over again. RDR is really good game tho, huge maps and lots of fun shooting bears with cattleman revolver! Laugh

''A Balrog offgh morrffgothf.''

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 8:29pm

Post #17 of 19 (137 views)
Shortcut
They now have a battle profile trailer for Gandalf and Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

It can be found on the website homepage:

http://www.guardiansofmiddleearth.co.uk/home

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 8 2012, 8:59pm

Post #18 of 19 (130 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure some people will like this [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's not my cup of tea. It seems to follow no storyline other than a mashup between various well-known characters, and revolves simply around killing people again and again.
The lego game on the other hand will be brilliant.Wink

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 8 2012, 9:08pm

Post #19 of 19 (327 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just pointless action shooty thingy game Unsure

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.