Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The Hunt for Gollum and Born of Hope

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 14 2012, 10:23am

Post #1 of 13 (686 views)
Shortcut
The Hunt for Gollum and Born of Hope Can't Post

Are they worth watching? And are they only availble on The Internet?

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

dijomaja
Lorien

Jun 14 2012, 10:40am

Post #2 of 13 (317 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly "worth watching" for LOTR fans since they're free and they don't take too long. I don't want to prejudice anyone but you're asking for an opinion, so...

THFG does a nice job of capturing the atmosphere on a small budget but doesn't seem to have much of a story.

BoH is more ambitious and has the advantage of not competing with the characters and scenes we've already seen in the Jackson films.

As far as I know, they're both Internet-only.

Finwe
Lorien

Jun 14 2012, 1:23pm

Post #3 of 13 (309 views)
Shortcut
They're not terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

I must admit, they're the only "independent" films I've ever watched, so perhaps my inexperience combined with my excitement about their existence left me with unreal expectations. They're certainly worth watching for all Tolkien fans. I watched them on Youtube, as I doubt they have or will be broadcast on tv.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 14 2012, 2:12pm

Post #4 of 13 (288 views)
Shortcut
They are short and free, so yes, watch them [In reply to] Can't Post

THFG does a pretty good job of capturing the look and feel of Middle Earth. Plus, you get to see Thranduil's halls!

BoH is, sad to say, unwatchable, IMO. It attempts a mimicry of Jackson's universe which doesn't work, coupled with a truly execrable narrative (including a love triangle...).

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 14 2012, 5:19pm

Post #5 of 13 (278 views)
Shortcut
Watch them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought The Hunt for Gollum was extremely boring. There didn't seem to be much of a plot or anything. Plus, I was distracted by the actors not being the ones I'm used to seeing on film (in Jackson's films). But I thought Born of Hope was infinitely better. Perfect, no, but enjoyable. I may even watch it again someday.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 14 2012, 10:54pm

Post #6 of 13 (290 views)
Shortcut
BoH was tripe, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

The worst kind of teenage angst-meets Jackson's universe kind of tripe.

While BoH was certainly a bit boring, at least it didn't feature a ridiculous love triangle, and did display some interesting images and atmosphere. And I was rather refreshed to see different actors playing Aragorn, Gandalf, etc. Nice to see a take on things alternative to Jackson's. Which is my other problem with BoH. It tries way too hard to mimic Jackson's style, and obviously comes off as derivative and cringe-worthy (the orc fight is particularly idiotic).

In all, it's fun to see some fanfic get filmed. So watch them. But don't expect anything of any quality.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jun 14 2012, 10:55pm)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2012, 11:22pm

Post #7 of 13 (276 views)
Shortcut
Definitely worth a viewing, [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, I haven't seen Born of Hope (never really caught my attention). The Hunt For Gollum was done well enough, but probably my only issue with these two are how much they try to slip into the clubhouse of Jackson's trilogy. While I understand it was smart for what they were doing, it would've been excellent if it tried to be its own thing, considering what it had going for it.

Still worth watching, though. Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 14 2012, 11:31pm

Post #8 of 13 (245 views)
Shortcut
That was my biggest criticism, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought there was too much mimicking of other people's creative vision.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jun 15 2012, 12:52am

Post #9 of 13 (246 views)
Shortcut
I saw them last summer [In reply to] Can't Post

Last summer I took a class on The Lord of the RIngs through the community college I was attending, and the professor showed a trailer for The Hunt for Gollum. I later watched it at home, and I thought it was good enough. It wasn't the best, and I did think they were trying to be too much like Jackson's production, but it was interesting to see a part of The Lord of the Rings that was only briefly explained in the Appendices. I provided a good visualization of what Aragorn had to go through, and his small struggle with Gollum. As for Born of Hope, I don't remember if I saw it all, or if I saw some of it. But I can speak for The Hunt for Gollum, that one was intersting, and one of the few independant films I've seen.

"It's okay, I feel like getting up and screaming every time you walk into a room." -Lestrade, Sherlock S2,ep3.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 15 2012, 1:48am

Post #10 of 13 (256 views)
Shortcut
Eh, I found it enjoyable. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't expecting anything amazing, so I was pleasantly surprised by it. It was enjoyable enough for me, which is all I ask.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Jun 17 2012, 4:14pm

Post #11 of 13 (186 views)
Shortcut
The Hunt for Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

That was ok, the other was boring. If your a Tolkien fan they are worth the time but nothing to get excited about.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jun 17 2012, 7:24pm

Post #12 of 13 (212 views)
Shortcut
The fight sequences between Aragorn and the orcs in the Hunt for Gollum... [In reply to] Can't Post

are very well done and feel more "real" than some of the fight sequences in the big budget movie versions.

The Hunt for Gollum is much more compelling than Born of Hope, which I thought was very underwhelming.

Reptile
Rivendell

Jul 6 2012, 1:48am

Post #13 of 13 (223 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I'm easy to impress, but thought the Hunt for Golum was really good [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just thinking that it would be nice to have that little film included as a special feature when the Hobbit movie comes out on disk. Overall, I thought it was a modest but well done tribute to the films.

I haven't seen the other one but I'll check it out.

Based on the wide range of reviews here, I'd say you really need to watch and form your own opinion.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.