Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Ingwe vs Aragorn vs Sam

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 14 2012, 10:20am

Post #1 of 5 (439 views)
Shortcut
Ingwe vs Aragorn vs Sam Can't Post

who would make a better ruler?

ĎAs they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ĎAll is now ready.í

Finwe
Lorien

Jun 14 2012, 1:36pm

Post #2 of 5 (159 views)
Shortcut
Tough One [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it comes down to Aragorn and Ingwe. Sam was the pivotal figure in rebuilding the Shire, but it's really just a sub-realm of Arnor. When it came to fighting the Battle of Bywater, Merry and Pippin were the true leaders. Aragorn has seen just about everything and understands the politics of Middle Earth's kingdoms better than anyone thanks to his Thorongil days. In the end I'll have to choose Ingwe. He's proven himself for thousands of years, including leading his people across a wild, untamed Middle Earth to Valinor. While in Valinor, he managed to keep the Vanyar out of the trouble that arose. Finally, in the War of Wrath, he proved he can lead his people in battle.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when FŽanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

imin
Valinor

Jun 14 2012, 4:29pm

Post #3 of 5 (157 views)
Shortcut
Sam was mayor for 49 years! [In reply to] Can't Post

He must have been a good leader if he held that position for that long or at least popular with hobbits for a long time to be elected to that position time after time.

For me Ingwe had an easy job, none of his people got into trouble and with them being immortal everyone knew he was for ever and ever going to be in charge. I imagine his people just did what they wanted and he was ruler by title only. But then he has been ruler for pretty much the history of elves being around other than when Imin was (probably) the boss :P

Aragorn had to actually battle to get the thrown and was a well loved ruler and was very successful - increasing territory.

I think overall probably Aragorn for having gone through everything but its hard to go against the sheer time Ingwe has ruled.

Finwe
Lorien

Jun 14 2012, 4:45pm

Post #4 of 5 (176 views)
Shortcut
My hobbit bias is showing [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam was great, don't get me wrong, I guess I've always been fascinated by the history of Elves and Men, the hobbits just don't grab my imagination. Sam was the perfect Reconstructionist mayor though.

I wrestled with Aragorn and Ingwe, as well, for all the reasons you mentioned. It's not like Ingwe was dealing with crisis after crisis through his long years of leadership. I just couldn't ignore the length of his term, nor the fact Elves of the Noldor and Teleri didn't seem to dispute his title as High King. Great question to debate.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when FŽanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Jun 18 2012, 1:00pm

Post #5 of 5 (281 views)
Shortcut
Ingwe [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.