Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Come Moot with Gandalf in Ohio and Michigan!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5 2012, 9:24am

Post #1 of 18 (467 views)
Shortcut
Come Moot with Gandalf in Ohio and Michigan!! Can't Post

Want to see Fandalf and be a part of his World Tour!? Come join the Moot in Akron as they celebrate the Wizard's visit at the Chick-fil-A in Montrose, 47 Flight Memorial Dr. all day and evening on Wednesday, June 6th. Anyone arriving in a Hobbit/LotR costume gets a free entree :)

Can't make it to Akron? There are also Moots being held in Mt. Pleasant on Friday June 8th and in Lansing, Michigan on Saturday June 9th. PM me for more information.

Fandalf World Tour

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 5 2012, 9:28am)

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jun 11 2012, 12:30pm

Post #2 of 18 (198 views)
Shortcut
Was good to see you, gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

And to meet Gimli's Box, Wraith Buster and the gaffer and gammer. It's always a good time when TORNsibs get together - you're the best for organizing all this.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 12 2012, 5:28am

Post #3 of 18 (162 views)
Shortcut
Thank you again for putting this together, gramma! I had so much fun!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

Good becomes great. Bad becomes worse.  This is why you were chosen.  Because a strong man who has known power all his life may lose respect for that power.  But a weak man knows the value of strength and knows compassion. 

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 12 2012, 5:29am

Post #4 of 18 (166 views)
Shortcut
It was nice to met you as well! And I loved your shirt but didn't get the chance to tell you. :D// [In reply to] Can't Post

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

Good becomes great. Bad becomes worse.  This is why you were chosen.  Because a strong man who has known power all his life may lose respect for that power.  But a weak man knows the value of strength and knows compassion. 

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jun 12 2012, 11:39am

Post #5 of 18 (184 views)
Shortcut
My hubbie made it for me for my birthday [In reply to] Can't Post

He got a screencap and transferred it to the shirt, added the lettering. Whenever I wear it, he laments that the screencap was not really bright enough, but I love it.

You should seriously follow up on gramma's suggestion that you design a shirt for TORn. The designs the gaffer showed were very exciting.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 12 2012, 11:44pm

Post #6 of 18 (144 views)
Shortcut
I actually did! :D The email was sent late last night and I'm [In reply to] Can't Post

waiting for their reply.Laugh I know a good opportunity when I see one.Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 12 2012, 11:57pm

Post #7 of 18 (169 views)
Shortcut
Am I remembering wrong? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you guys were in Eastern MN not too far from me?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 14 2012, 4:58am

Post #8 of 18 (216 views)
Shortcut
We actually live about an hour and a half east of Lansing, MI. About two [In reply to] Can't Post

years ago we did go through MN though and I think I've mentioned that, so maybe that's where you got the idea we lived there. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 14 2012, 12:55pm

Post #9 of 18 (153 views)
Shortcut
I might be getting you mixed up with one of the other younger members. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Gollum the Great. (used search to find it) She mentioned meeting one of our state politicians and responded to an 'Anyone from MN?' thread.

Well, I used to live in Michigan! I grew up in BC, and have lived in Kalamazoo and East Lansing for parts of my adult life. My husband is from Okemos. I love the state but I also love Minneapolis.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 14 2012, 3:04pm

Post #10 of 18 (168 views)
Shortcut
Oh I remember her! She doesn't get on here much anymore does she? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh that's really cool! I like Michigan a lot myself. Cool About four years ago my family was constantly making trips to the Lansing/Okemos area and we always would get a Biggbys coffee because we didn't have those over by where we lived. Ahahahaha. Cool We're radical coffee drinkers. Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 14 2012, 11:04pm

Post #11 of 18 (172 views)
Shortcut
The two things I remember fondly of Okemos-East Lansing [In reply to] Can't Post

are: Bell's Pizza and Spartan Subs.

Bell's is a Greek pizza and it's got a distinct flavor. The only thing to come close was a small pizza shop near my brother-in-law's house in Cambridge MA.

Spartan Sub had this killer spicy sub. Subway's BMT comes kind of close but not near as good. I once drove to Spartan Sub in a raging snowstorm in our Corvair. Those go great in snow because all the weight is in the back.

I bet Bell's is still there but I wouldn't be surprised if Spartan Sub is gone now.

We don't have Biggby's here. Our coffee chain is Caribou Coffee. We have Starbucks but they're not, imo, very good.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 15 2012, 12:33am

Post #12 of 18 (158 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to look into those places so the next time we make a trip over there [In reply to] Can't Post

we can check them out.Cool

My first real chain made coffee was a Caribou but we changed over to Starbucks. But, some locations are better than others. The bad ones get little red ticks on our radar.Tongue

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jun 15 2012, 5:52pm

Post #13 of 18 (156 views)
Shortcut
journey through mid-Michigan [In reply to] Can't Post

In ten days I'll be flying into Detroit Metro, then driving to East Lansing, Okemos, Grand Blanc, Port Huron, and Belleville. After going through the gap of Toledo Cool I'll visit Cleveland and Columbus in Ohio.
Will look carefully for the booted footprints of Fandalf or any TORnadoes. Will also eat as much ice cream as possible.
Are there fireflies this year?

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 17 2012, 2:26am

Post #14 of 18 (124 views)
Shortcut
Is "fireflies" a code word for something or are you really asking?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jun 17 2012, 2:31am

Post #15 of 18 (182 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen a lot of fireflies? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know where you're from, but there are a lot of fireflies where I grew up in Virginia, and in many other Eastern and Northeastern states. An evening with many fireflies is a miraculous sight! I lived in CA for many years and am now in HI -- no fireflies in either place. When I go beck East I want to see them during the few months they're active! I expect ElanorTX feels the same way!

Sign up now in the Reading Room for discussions of The Hobbit, scheduled for July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jun 17 2012, 2:32am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 17 2012, 3:22am

Post #16 of 18 (158 views)
Shortcut
When we lived in Kalamazoo, the lawns would be thick with them [In reply to] Can't Post

It was magical.

I don't remember that being the case in Lansing, so much. East Lansing... we lived downtown so no chance there. But even driving around more grassy, field, wild areas, I don't remember them. Not like in Kalamazoo. They were thick, there.

There aren't so many here in Minneapolis. We went years without seeing any but have seen them recently near some holding pond areas around the lakes that are allowed to grow taller vegetation so as to filter the water that washes off the roads before it enters the main lakes, streams and rivers.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Jun 17 2012, 11:51pm

Post #17 of 18 (132 views)
Shortcut
Last Saturday night my family went for a walk and on the way back we saw [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite a few fireflies. Smile I like them as long as they don't land on me; I'm terrified of bugs. Although I've been getting better about not totally freaking out when an insect flies past me. Hahahahahaha. Butterflies and domesticated honey bees don't bother me though.

And I actually live in the "thumb area" of MI. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 18 2012, 1:25am

Post #18 of 18 (198 views)
Shortcut
My husband has cousins in Bad Axe! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.