Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who would tell the most interesting fireside stories?
Poll: Who would tell the most interesting fireside stories?
Saruman 2 / 2%
Gandalf 18 / 20%
Cirdan  5 / 6%
Durin 2 / 2%
Aragorn 5 / 6%
Treebeard 2 / 2%
Galadriel 6 / 7%
Ingwe 1 / 1%
Tom Bombadil 9 / 10%
Arwen 1 / 1%
Farmer Maggot 1 / 1%
Thranduil 3 / 3%
Feanor 1 / 1%
Bilbo 6 / 7%
Glorfindel 2 / 2%
William the troll 4 / 5%
Tar-Aldarion 1 / 1%
Elrond 11 / 12%
Allatar and Pallando 4 / 5%
Eru Illuvatar 4 / 5%
88 total votes

malickfan
Gondor

May 30 2012, 4:32pm

Post #1 of 11 (538 views)
Shortcut
Who would tell the most interesting fireside stories? Can't Post

Which one of the well travelled (or not) residents of Aman listed above would make the most intresting storyteller on a cold winters night?

DanielLB
Immortal

May 30 2012, 5:53pm

Post #2 of 11 (224 views)
Shortcut
I went for [In reply to] Can't Post

Eru, Gandalf, Galadriel, Bombadil, Cirdan and Treebeard.

These 6 must have some fascinating stories to tell, all having been around for a *very* long time. Eru may be a bit too secretive though Wink

Finwe
Lorien

May 30 2012, 6:20pm

Post #3 of 11 (224 views)
Shortcut
My votes [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirdan - Has seen pretty much everything there is to see, save Valinor.

Durin - He could shed some light on the whole reincarnation thing and dwarven culture, which we know far too little about.

Galadriel - She could finally clear up where she met Celeborn and why she remained at the end of the First Age.

Just missed the cut:

Treebeard - Would take way too long to tell his stories.

Gandalf - We've already gotten to know Gandalf and his stories pretty well.

Eru - God never gives you direct answers.

I think Sauron would have one of the best fireside stories. His corruption by Melkor, time as Melkor's lieutenant, new Dark Lord, Annatar, Numenorean adviser, and floating eyeball. ;)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 30 2012, 6:39pm

Post #4 of 11 (209 views)
Shortcut
Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

He grew up among the sons of FŽanor, he palled around with Gil-galad and Cirdan, he married Galadriel's daughter, and anyone who's anyone in the Third Age passed through Rivendell at one point or another. As Tolkien says in The Hobbit "He comes into many tales", and in FOTR Tolkien describes him as "Elrond, of whom so many tales spoke".

Elskar
Bree

May 30 2012, 6:43pm

Post #5 of 11 (248 views)
Shortcut
What? No love fore Maggot? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tales of crop failure would chill you to the bone! Actually I went for Bombadil. Too hard to choose really but I think it comes down to Elves, Wizards and whatever Tom is. Green man? Demi God? It's always been a point of interest to me that he barely gave a darn about the ring. Although I'd love to know what all Treebeard has seen I think Tom was around before he came into existence.

Vangalad
Lorien

May 30 2012, 7:44pm

Post #6 of 11 (210 views)
Shortcut
Storytelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman for the dark and chilling stories,
Gandalf for the questing stories,
Galadriel for the romantic and passionate ..oh, i mean the valorous stories,
Glorfindel for the intense battle stories,
Elrond for the educative stories,
Bilbo for the fun and adventurous stories.
-Need for a break-

malickfan
Gondor

May 31 2012, 7:41am

Post #7 of 11 (219 views)
Shortcut
My Votes (I know its my own poll but I couldn't resist) [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirdan (anyone who read my most recent post in the reading room will see why)

Glorfindel-Great Warrior, could shed some light on what it was like to dwell in Valinor and be reincarnated

Tom Bombadil-As shown in Fellowship there is alot of mystery to this character, he writes his own lyrics to illustrate his stories and he actually does tell fireside stories

Eru Illuvatar-God!

(This post was edited by malickfan on May 31 2012, 7:50am)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jun 2 2012, 3:18am

Post #8 of 11 (163 views)
Shortcut
Due to his voice [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman gets my vote. At least you'd believe they were the most interesting stories you'd ever heard.

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Jun 2 2012, 3:19am)

sador
Half-elven

Jun 3 2012, 12:23pm

Post #9 of 11 (164 views)
Shortcut
Smeagol [In reply to] Can't Post

However, they probably won't be true...

In your poll I've voted for Elrond. For pretty much the same reason Darkstone did.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 3 2012, 2:54pm

Post #10 of 11 (179 views)
Shortcut
I'd have to say Bilbo, but only [In reply to] Can't Post

because I couldn't say Sam (not on the list) ;)

I choose Bilbo because I think the teller would have to be in awe of what they've heard, seen, or experienced to really give the story/stories that enthralling delivery that captures the imagination of their audience. Sam always spoke of Bilbo's tales and how they wow'd him all his life. I know other have experience so much more or different thatn our Old Hobbit, but I'd still love to sit by the fire on a rainy night and listen to him :)

Bombadil has my second vote. His stories are full of lessons, not just events. His stories for the hobbits when they stayed with him did so much to prepare them for the outside world.

Good Poll, malickfan! Very cool :)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2012, 1:23pm

Post #11 of 11 (280 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Eru would be telling fireside stories... :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And even if he did, it'd be something too much for a mere mortal like me to hear.

However, Gandalf, Aragorn, Pallando and Alatar would probably have interesting stories to hear. Reason: they're all travellers who's seen lands far and wide, and met all kind of strange creatures. Pallando and Alatar especially could tell stories of the East, of which others know not.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.