Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Press Items

springlering

Oct 18 2007, 6:50pm

Views: 204
Shortcut
Press Items [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Earl.

I've never been on the TORN board before, but was doodling around today, found the board, and saw your question. I set up a board ID just so I could answer it. Smile

There are all kinds of press items, so many, I don't even know where to really start.

There is a series of three linen-bound press books that were issued to members of the press, with a followup trilogy gift book. There are also several hardbound books that were issued as promos, including an Asian and a French one, amongst others.

Presskit CDrom sets were issued for each movie. In English, there was a beautiful "gatefold" cover made for each installment, with CDroms that included hi-resolution photos, trailers, facts, etc. An additional gatefold CDrom was made for Two Towers, dedicated to SFX, primarily Gollum. In addition, there were several supplemental press CDroms produced, too.

There are more CDrom press kits in German, French, and other languages, including a stunning combination pressbook/CDrom set made for Arum, the Spanish film distributor. It is a long, narrow, oblong book, with maps and other artwork folded in accordion pleats, inside a heavily embossed cover, which is, in turn, in a heavy slipcover.

Unique to Germany is the "Radio Press Kit" or RPK. These were audio CDs included dozens of soundbites from cast and crew, which could be inserted into radio stories, or, if the host was creative enough, could be used to give the impression he was doing a presonal interview.

There were also a number of press videotapes (remember, videos were still viable back in 2000 and 2001), and several DVDs, which included snippets of film footage.

There were press folders produced for the DVD releases, beautiful, embossed, full color folders, with press inserts, and additional CDroms. Different versions were released for the EE DVD releases. One beautiful DVD related press gift includes a CDrom, handouts, and a small laser-engraved paperweight in a "silk" lined box. In addition to press material, beautiful booklets and kits were prepared to entice dealers to buy more material, too.

There is additional press material with movie images on them for the video and computer game releases, the online RPG game, and even for the Pachinko and slot machines (those two were exclusive to Japan).

New Line issued a lot of random press and promo stuff, such as a gorgeous folder from Taiwan, with full color "miniposters" in it, along with handouts. Similar items were produced for many countries.

There are also items which were (presumably) executive or press gifts: cuff links (real ones, not the bootlegs that were on Ebay for a while), golf sets, and more. A Belgian choclatier was tapped to produce a CDrom press kit....with a chocolate CDrom.

And then you get into the whole issue of press and premiere tickets, which can constitute a whole collection by themselves, the Holy Grail being, of course, the holographic round pass from the 2001 Cannes Film Festival. Some of the premiere tickets are just outstanding, particularly a Thai TTT premiere ticket, which has a watercolorish image of Frodo with Sting at Gollum's throat. Gives me a lump in mine just thinking about it, it's that pretty.

You can see pictures of many of these at my website at www.springlering.com I also have some articles there on how to avoid fakes, particularly the press CDs.

You might find Kristin Thompsons's excellent book, The Frodo Franchise, to be of interest. It is readily available on Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/36pwkr

There are also several good sellers on Ebay who often have unusual press and promo material. Good, reliable sellers include MiddleEarthCharms, 9NiteOwl, Shire-Lore, Minas1Anor, and myself, Springlering, although I am taking a self-enforced break from Ebay right now, having reached my...ahem...PO threshold with Ebay and Ebayers lately. There are other good sellers, but I'm supposed to be working, not gabbing, so I'm blanking right now.

"...You may find friends upon your way when you least look for it...."

....Elrond

Subject User Time
LOTR presskits? Earl Send a private message to Earl Oct 8 2007, 12:39pm
    A fine, fine question SandWitch King Send a private message to SandWitch King Oct 9 2007, 7:19pm
        Why thanks Earl Send a private message to Earl Oct 10 2007, 12:33pm
            Press Items springlering Send a private message to springlering Oct 18 2007, 6:50pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.