Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Middle Earth vs. Wizarding World of Harry Potter

MegaChris
The Shire

May 15 2012, 12:59pm

Post #1 of 10 (606 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth vs. Wizarding World of Harry Potter Can't Post

All out war, ever character. Who wins?

I say Middle Earth.

"Let the Lord of the Black Lands come forth!"
- Aragorn

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 15 2012, 1:29pm

Post #2 of 10 (183 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth vs. Tampa? [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on the thread title, I thought you were pitting all of Middle-earth against a theme park!

I would say that Middle-earth wins, but wouldn't the muggles get involved as well?

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

DanielLB
Immortal

May 15 2012, 2:19pm

Post #3 of 10 (159 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

No interest in Harry Potter whatsoever Wink

Join the Hobbit Character Elimination Game in the Arena!

MegaChris
The Shire

May 15 2012, 10:28pm

Post #4 of 10 (164 views)
Shortcut
Aw, thats too bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe next time we could go with ME vs. Galifrey?.. or Skaro. (I am a biiig Doctor Who fan, as I'm sure you are to.)

I doubt anything could beat Middle Earth though. It holds a wide variety of races, where as most other places are the generic wizard, or robot, or lizard. Etc, etc.

"Let the Lord of the Black Lands come forth!"
- Aragorn

DanielLB
Immortal

May 16 2012, 9:04am

Post #5 of 10 (148 views)
Shortcut
How did you guess ....? [In reply to] Can't Post

Doctor Who filled that Middle-earth shaped whole in my life after ROTK.

My loyalty remains with Tolkien still Wink

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 17 2012, 5:00pm

Post #6 of 10 (146 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... close, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I gotta go with HP (even against DW, I fear, which I also have a great fondness for). Reasons? In ME, most folks (humans, Hobbits, Dwarves, orcs, to name the most numerous groups) do not possess magical abilities - assuming that, with the exception of Gandalf (and Saruman and Sauron, if we're letting them play), all the Maiar and Valar would stay home as usual, that leaves only the Elves, who have telepathic abilities. HP, by contrast, has wizards galore who can fight and defend themselves at distances swords, arrows and catapults can't reach, as well as telepathic abilities among some of them; not to mention House Elves who, like their human wizard kindred, have the ability to Apparate and perform other magic. In metalworking, I suspect Rowling's Goblins' abilities would be equal to Tolkien's Dwarves' - so that's a draw.

And, sadly, I must conclude (having just finished a thesis on the topic of human agency) that Harry Potter himself goes about saving the world in a more consciously decisive manner than does Frodo. It is precisely because Harry chooses, freely and knowingly, to do what he is called to do that Voldemort is defeated. However I may love LOTR (and I do, very much), I must acknowledge that, in the end, the destruction of the Ring is not the result of Frodo's conscious choice, but of an accident. And both heroes were under the psychic influence of their opponents, so it's not a matter of the difference in the obstacles they faced. sigh.

Now, line up the good guys of both worlds against the bad guys of both worlds - no contest, the good guys win.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

DanielLB
Immortal

May 17 2012, 5:10pm

Post #7 of 10 (159 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call destroying the Ring an accident [In reply to] Can't Post

Rather fate. But that's a whole different disucssion Wink

Down to the final 2! Gandalf vs. Bilbo. Who will take victory? Come and vote to see your favourite win!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

May 21 2012, 7:40pm

Post #8 of 10 (134 views)
Shortcut
With the Valar and Melkor included? Even Eru? [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle-Earth, and there's no contest.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

May 28 2012, 9:38pm

Post #9 of 10 (118 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth FTW!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron vs. Voldemort: Voldie gets pwned.
Frodo vs. Harry: Okay. Harry might beat Frodo.
Dumbledore vs. Gandalf: Do I even have to go here? Gandalf.
Dementors vs. Dead Men of Dunharrow: What say you? I say Dead guys.
Shelob vs. Arigog: Shelob is bigger, meaner, and just plain cooler.

That good?

"who now has the power to stand against Isengard and Mordor? Who can stand against the might of Sauron and Saruman, and the union of the Two Towers?"
-Saruman

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Jun 18 2012, 1:02pm

Post #10 of 10 (227 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth Wins [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.