Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How do you feel about opera?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How do you feel about opera?
Love it! 12 / 22%
Hate it! 0 / 0%
I like listening to it 10 / 19%
I like seeing it on stage 16 / 30%
Sorry, puts me to sleep 2 / 4%
I only like the catchy tunes that come up now and then 9 / 17%
I only like the soapy ones.... 0 / 0%
Other -- tell us your opera tale! 5 / 9%
54 total votes

Patty
Immortal

May 13 2012, 11:51pm

Post #51 of 59 (277 views)
Shortcut
You are so bad! [In reply to] Can't Post

that's incredibly bad.Crazy

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 14 2012, 6:20am

Post #52 of 59 (278 views)
Shortcut
;-D [In reply to] Can't Post

Inna Dukach is an up-and-coming opera singer who, as it happens, is married to Sean Altman (the tallest of the quartet), sometimes called the "godfather of modern a capella". Add his rather outrageous sense of humor and voila! you get "doowopera", complete with a very loose modern translation of the original lyrics. Totally bizarre, but I got a good laugh out of it. Laugh

Speaking of odd combinations, ever heard a bagpipe band and a military brass band play together? My dad absolutely loves it when they do this at the local Highland Games.

Ok, ok, I promise I'm done injecting OT weirdness into the conversation now. Angelic

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 14 2012, 6:25pm

Post #53 of 59 (309 views)
Shortcut
Yup, you're right - temporary brain fog!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Radhruin
Rohan

May 15 2012, 3:47am

Post #54 of 59 (316 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I gave it a whirl on Netlfix, but it didn't click with me. It certainly didn't make the mainstream list of musicals of that era! I may give it another try when I can focus more. Thanks for the link!

Annael
Half-elven

May 17 2012, 2:21pm

Post #55 of 59 (264 views)
Shortcut
"bright white" [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't that what Russell called it?

As a spinto mezzo I of course go the other way.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

May 18 2012, 1:15pm

Post #56 of 59 (266 views)
Shortcut
I heart art songs! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't actually know what my voice is good at, but I just really enjoy singing German and French art songs. I discovered a while ago that I really enjoy singing Britten as well.

Voice teachers have told me I'm really more of a soprano than a mezzo, but I've never figured out how to be comfy in the upper end of my range. So I sing alto in my chorus (it's more interesting for me anyway), and do "middle voice" literature. Or at least I did...haven't done solo stuff in a while.

My sister used to be a "Queen of the Night"-style coloratura. Then, she had kids. I'm not sure what she would call herself now, but she's got more of a lyric quality, I'd say.

Anyway, are you singing at all right now, or not so much? You've got some big fish to fry with that thesis...maybe once the thesis is done, you can celebrate with a good sing!

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

May 18 2012, 1:21pm

Post #57 of 59 (285 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, that's one I'm not familiar with! Thanks for including the links--it does seem more accessible.

I think I just really need to get over my Wagner thing. I keep finding overtures and orchestral stuff of his that I like. For a while, it was very convenient to dislike Wagner's music, because I disliked HIM so much. It was handy to be able to hate both his bigotry and his music. I may someday find myself in a situation where I continue to hate his bigotry, but appreciate his music nonetheless. And listening to an opera that's not quite so grandiose might just do it.

Elizabeth
Valinor

May 18 2012, 8:45pm

Post #58 of 59 (315 views)
Shortcut
Wagner's bigotry [In reply to] Can't Post

...is certainly deplorable, but we should realize that antisemitism was extremely common in the 19th Century and to a considerable extent well into the 20th, in the US as well as in Europe. And, unfortunately, some very brilliant artists in many fields have personalities and private lives that most of us would find appalling. I think it's appropriate to admire the art without having to approve of the artist's character.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2012, 10:30am

Post #59 of 59 (350 views)
Shortcut
It really really really depends on the composer and period... for example I have very little love for Classical and Romantic era operas.. for that matter later eras too lol. [In reply to] Can't Post

But Baroque opera is superb

Monte Verdi lists in my top 10 classical music Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.