Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Summer Movies 2012
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Summer Movies 2012
The Avengers 25 / 22%
Dark Shadows 11 / 10%
Men in Black 3 5 / 4%
Snow White and the Huntsman 17 / 15%
Prometheus 13 / 11%
Brave  13 / 11%
The Amazing Spider-man 7 / 6%
The Dark Knight Rises  21 / 18%
Other 2 / 2%
114 total votes

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 3:10pm

Post #26 of 35 (220 views)
Shortcut
Dark Knight or Avengers... [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked the Dark Knight as the top movie of the summer. I think it was a wider audience to draw from. The series has been quite popular and good, so I think it will hit some pretty large numbers. I am definitely going to see it. I saw Avengers on the weekend and really liked it. Much better than I had anticipated. Avengers might give Dark Knight some competition. Spider-Man might be interesting.
Love all these comic book movies doing well.

diedye
Grey Havens

May 7 2012, 3:17pm

Post #27 of 35 (289 views)
Shortcut
G.I. Joe: Retaliation... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and Avengers and Snow White & the Huntsman, of course,

I am so over the Batman movies... if I'm really feeling batty, I'd rather watch the original series... much more fun, with all the comic-book "sound" effects. Laugh

And no one can touch Julie Newmar as the original Catwoman. MEOWWWRH! Cool

Turambar
Bree

May 7 2012, 6:29pm

Post #28 of 35 (232 views)
Shortcut
I plan [In reply to] Can't Post

to see them all at least once, I've already managed to see The Avengers 3 times, and would gladly go back and see it a fourth time if I didn't have so many films that I want to see this summer, let alone this year.

Dark Shadows was always going to be a yes from me, being a Tim Burton film.

Snow White looks like it could be rather epic to be quite honest.

TDKR is quite high up there for me, but I find it hard to imagine how it will top The Avengers for spectacle. It'll have to go a long way to beat Batman Begins in my view as well, which I have always seen as the better of the two Nolan Batman films.

The Amazing Spider-Man is quite high up as I was a big fan of the Sam Raimi films (the first two anyway). Those first two are probably some of the best superhero films I have ever seen, so again I'm cautiously optomistic as whether this one can hold up to those first two films. It'll be quite a feat if it does manage to do that.

Prometheus. Well, Ridley Scott. I'm a big fan after Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven. This one looks like it could be quite interesting to say the least.

Men In Black 3 looks like it will be as fun as the first two installments. My only worry was the troubles the filmmakers had with getting the script right, and I hope that doesn't show up in the final film. The time travel element looks fun, and I also look forward to see Jermaine Clement as the villain.

Brave looks like another gem from the guys at Pixar. Nice to see a film of their's set in the British Isles too.

I hope to catch the new Wes Anderson movie, Moonrise Kingdom, at the end of the month, but aren't holding my breath for a wide release :(

(This post was edited by Turambar on May 7 2012, 6:32pm)

Patty
Immortal

May 7 2012, 8:30pm

Post #29 of 35 (227 views)
Shortcut
I didn't get out to see John Carter--too much happened at our house. [In reply to] Can't Post

But the plan is to get a 3D TV for our 25th houseverary, as I mentioned before, and we'll probably watch it on that. It was always something I wanted to see.

Your theater sounds top notch.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 8 2012, 6:58am

Post #30 of 35 (273 views)
Shortcut
What system are you looking at Patty? [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been thinking about getting a 3D TV as well - the only thing that puts me off is that the technology is pretty new and changes so quickly (like mobile phones). Have you seen which TV you are considering (sorry - don't answer if you think I'm poking my nose in to your business. Just interested on people's opinions)

Patty
Immortal

May 8 2012, 9:39pm

Post #31 of 35 (244 views)
Shortcut
We've always loved Sony, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear they're getting out of the LCD HDTV game, in favor of Samsung. I am really unsure of Samsung--their reputation for a good picture has really improved from what it was several years ago, but not enough time has elapsed since that improvement to prove their longevity for me. LGs and Sharp are out. I'm not sure what we'll get right now, but we will be getting a warranty this time. Just after my current TV went out of manufacture's warranty the motherboard went out, such that a connection of some kind is not made if the TV is not constantly "warm" enough for some wire to connect with another and part of the screen's picture jiggles. Our current solution is not to ever turn it off, and as someone who is concerned about the overuse of energy this is really bugging me.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 9 2012, 3:19am

Post #32 of 35 (214 views)
Shortcut
There's a funny LOTR reference made by Iron Man, anyone mention that yet? // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

May 9 2012, 6:55am

Post #33 of 35 (184 views)
Shortcut
I've not really looked into it that much [In reply to] Can't Post

apart from sitting in the TV shops with the 3D glasses on Cool

Do let us know which one you go for (in the end) and whether you rate the 3D etc!

Patty
Immortal

May 9 2012, 10:08pm

Post #34 of 35 (199 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

back a year or so again, when Sony still had a local store, we looked at a set there in 3D and were totally blown away. Last year we looked at a Sony set in Best Buy, and this model was amazing, too. However, I looked at an LG and was really unimpressed. Of course, so much depends on what was being shown at the time. There are many variables.

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Jun 12 2012, 10:06pm

Post #35 of 35 (251 views)
Shortcut
I won a free ticket [In reply to] Can't Post

via red baron pizza to see The Avengers. I completely loved the movie, though the cost to drive 30 minutes to see it (I live in a rural area), 4.50 for a 16 oz drink, and 5.50 for a small popcorn meant my free movie cost me about $30.00! ShockedWhich is why I only usually see two or three movies a year. I was only planning on seeing The Hobbit, but now I am also excited for Snow White and The Huntsman and Brave. I hope I can budget them somehow!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.