Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
If you could narrow it down to just one…who would you say is your favourite Tolkien character?

malickfan
Gondor

May 4 2012, 10:09am

Post #1 of 24 (572 views)
Shortcut
If you could narrow it down to just one…who would you say is your favourite Tolkien character? Can't Post

If you could narrow it down to just one…who would you say is your favourite Tolkien character?
(From any of his writings)

For me (as people familiar with my posting history may realise) it’s Cirdan the shipwright.

I’ve got to admit the character made very little impression on me during my first reading of The Lord Of The Rings (and none at all when I saw the films-he does appear very briefly but wasn’t named in the trilogy) seemingly just one of a stack of random background characters, but in the years since (and several more intensive re-reads later), and with my discovery of Tolkien’s other work he’s grown on me enormously.

A fascinating character in trivia terms, but also a shining example of the best qualities of The Eldar race he wasn’t a prominent warrior like Aragorn or Hurin nor a memorable personality like Gollum or Tom Bombadil, but I think his backstory and personality more than merits his inclusion on a list of the greatest characters.
Now I will give my reasons, you may not agree, you may find it a silly decision, and I’m sure you’ve got opinions of your own, anyway…

Probably not an elve of the awakening, but almost certainly the eldest remaining elve in The Third Age of Middle Earth (i.e. ancient…), by the close of The Lord Of The Rings he was greatly aged, but very tall and saw ‘more Deeply and further’ into Middle Earth’s Future than any others of his race. Arguably he achieved more than most of his race, despite I suspect working largely unnoticed or unknown by the majority of Middle Earth’s residents.

Furthermore he was one of a handful of links between all four ages (I find it interesting to think of all the figures in Middle Earth History he may have interacted with), in terms of age, experiences and knowledge (In Third Age Middle Earth at least) he was probably unmatched (Tom Bombadil and perhaps Treebeard excluded). Living through millennia of bloodshed and turmoil he was destined to be the last elve to set sail from Middle Earth- a legendary enigma, yet a living metaphor for the fading of the Elves.

During the first Age he survived the journey from Cunieven, and many of the battles that followed, he sacrificed his greatest desire-to see the undying lands, out of loyalty for Elwe and his further kin. He selflessly took on the destiny handed to him by the Valar- building the ships for the Eldar and remaining in Middle Earth until the last set sail.

-Right at the start of Middle Earth’s existence, he took a decision for its future- unknowing of where it would take him, nor how long it would take to get there, and with no concrete reward in sight…yet through the vast years that followed, he continued with said mission, whilst many of his kin sailed away, fell in battle or won renown in greater deeds. It was an exhaustive, generous act, which was often matched in later years.

Tolkien never wrote of a companion (that’s not to say he didn’t have one) but I think that’s another reason why I identified with him so much-the image of him standing alone (or with a small group of helpers) on the shores of Lindon gazing out to sea was never expressively written, but is the image I always return to when I see his name crop up in writing, to me it makes his story even more dramatic, and noble.

Throughout the battles, and tribulations of the first Age he continued to be a figure of great wisdom and bravery, rescuing many elves and Edain from the ruins of the Falas, including Elwing and Gil-Galad, and assisting in the war against Morgoth. Earendil was apprenticed to him, and with his help made the successful voyage to Valinor, yet again Cirdan (unwittingly or otherwise) laid the foundations for Middle Earth’s future.

In the second Age he fought in The Battle of the Last Alliance, Witnessing the arrival of The Istari he surrendered his ring, Narya to Gandalf. Through the Third Age he continued to advise and assist in the battle against Sauron, serving as a member of The White Council, and providing help for Elrond and the Rangers of the North.

He may have made just one personal appearance in The Lord of the Rings but I think it somes him up perfectly-

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

After all the long years, the task he had been waiting for had at last arrived…yet he appeared quietly and dignified, still focused, and he bowed and accepted it as just one more job, before going back to his duties.

Professional, wise, considerate, selfless and brave (and to an extent mythical), he achieved all this despite being one of the ‘lesser’ elves. Tolkien never resolved his
fate, but I’d like to think he’d done more than enough by the Fourth Age to merit his long-awaited voyage to Valinor.

Cirdan The Shipwright certainly wasn’t the most prominent, or interesting character of Tolkien’s, but he is unquestionably my favourite.Smile

I think I’ve made my feelings clear, How about you? Do you have a favourite character? Why?Smile

(This post was edited by malickfan on May 4 2012, 10:10am)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 4 2012, 10:17am

Post #2 of 24 (354 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you've just won me over.

I've never really had a "favourite" character. That's not to say that I don't find some characters more interesting than others. Even if I had a whole week I don't think I could justify why I like some characters more than others, like you have done so excellently.

And reading your post has made be appreciate Cirdan a lot more than I ever had done Laugh

Is there an exclusive Cirdan fan-club I can join? Wink

malickfan
Gondor

May 4 2012, 10:24am

Post #3 of 24 (369 views)
Shortcut
Sadly I have no knowledge of a fan club... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I might start one!Smile

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

May 4 2012, 4:15pm

Post #4 of 24 (320 views)
Shortcut
Fëanor [In reply to] Can't Post

Why? Because.

Though I must admit, after all these years of loving my dear emo drama queen brat prince, Sauron has been on the rise for some time now and might even some day dethrone Fëa. Oh my!

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Darkstone
Immortal

May 4 2012, 5:18pm

Post #5 of 24 (349 views)
Shortcut
One who never appeared in the films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dernhelm.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 4 2012, 6:04pm

Post #6 of 24 (340 views)
Shortcut
I was sad that he didn't make it into the movies too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose Miranda Otto was just too obviously a woman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Darkstone
Immortal

May 4 2012, 6:08pm

Post #7 of 24 (320 views)
Shortcut
That's for sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I suppose Miranda Otto was just too obviously a woman.

That's for dang sure.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

RosieLass
Valinor

May 4 2012, 7:17pm

Post #8 of 24 (324 views)
Shortcut
I struggle with that a bit in the book, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, surely Elfhelm knew who she was.

All I can guess is that the rest of her eored was just turning a blind eye.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 4 2012, 8:28pm

Post #9 of 24 (311 views)
Shortcut
I always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

they were all doing a Sergeant Schultz: "I see nothing..." Not sure why they would, but it sure seemed like it.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

KAOS82
Rohan

May 4 2012, 11:23pm

Post #10 of 24 (327 views)
Shortcut
definetely Turin [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like this character even before "narn i chin hurin" has been released; I liked him first on "unfinished tales" and also in "silmarillion"
his story is full of everything: emotion, proudness, rage, sadness, happyness, love, death...
I hope one day someone, maybe (I hope) PJ, will make a major movie of it

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NÍNIEL

Annael
Half-elven

May 5 2012, 2:06pm

Post #11 of 24 (297 views)
Shortcut
wait - where's the poll? [In reply to] Can't Post

they're really simple to do, just click on the "new poll" icon. You can add a post under it.

Although I love so many of the characters, I'd probably say a different one every time I took the poll. Merry's right up there because he doesn't have to go (on the Quest, or to Minas Tirith), but he does, and he usually is the one who has thought ahead and prepared - he gets the Crickhollow house ready and has enough baths for all, he has everything they need to travel all ready to go, he looks at the maps at Rivendell so he can guide Pippin in Fangorn Forest, and I will always contend that it was his blow with the magic blade that really killed the Witch-King, although Eowyn got all the credit.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Sam20
Lorien

May 5 2012, 5:11pm

Post #12 of 24 (335 views)
Shortcut
Favorite character [In reply to] Can't Post

It is hard to pick one among all the great characters in The Lord Of The Rings but I would say Gandalf and Frodo are among my favorite characters. Gandalf for he is very much charismatic and a character of grandeur and still is very humble and kind and mysterious. It is difficult to imagine LOTR without Gandalf. Frodo for he is a courageous Hobbit and whithout him and his friends nothing could have been possible. He accept is fate and doom as the task of Ring-bearer. He's definitly a special character and so strong-hearted.

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

May 7 2012, 4:06am

Post #13 of 24 (312 views)
Shortcut
I like a bunch of characters but my favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

When put to it is Turin. I think Children of Hurin is a terribly underrated book. IMO it's brilliant. So when my arm is twisted...

I love character driven stories and on top of that I love deep, conflicted characters. So CoH is both of those for me so...Cool

I know a lot of people think he's a prideful, arrogant jerk but, I see him as someone that really had no choice because of the curse. Anything he decided to do would be doomed from the beginning and there are a few moments where he wasn't planning on doing harm but just 'cause he was there it went wrong. Danged if you do, danged if you don't. Hahaha. Laugh

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

Good becomes great. Bad becomes worse.  This is why you were chosen.  Because a strong man who has known power all his life may lose respect for that power.  But a weak man knows the value of strength and knows compassion. 

Nimloth9
The Shire

May 7 2012, 7:16am

Post #14 of 24 (299 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a lot of people think he's a prideful, arrogant jerk but, I see him as someone that really had no choice because of the curse.

I completely agree with you, Gimli'sBox. And Turin had his moments when he was moved by pity and was kind to the petty-dwarf. Sure he was pretty proud but he was a good guy.
But my favorite character is and forever will be Faramir. Heart Simply the bestest man ever!

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

May 9 2012, 2:41am

Post #15 of 24 (276 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the story of Turin, I mean sure the Tale of Beren and Luthien is a crowd pleaser, but honestly I love the tale of Turin best of all the tales in the Silmarillion. That being said, Turin is not my favorite character.
I love Theoden, Eowyn, Faramir, Aragorn, Bilbo and Gollum/Smeagol. All of them appeal to me in some way or another, each are close to my heart, yet not quite my favorites.
My absolute favorite character, not only from The Lord of the Rings, but of all time literature is Frodo Baggins.

I cannot take the time to fully explain why he is my favorite characters, I have written 2 essays (relatively) on the subject, hopefully I shall combine them and come up with one solely on the topic of why he is my favorite and post it on here for constructive criticism, but for now I shall be as short and concise as possible.
Frodo is of humble origins, he's just a little hobbit from the Shire, being a particularly short person I suppose I can relate.
I was a movie firster, I saw the films when I was 9 and Frodo stood out to me the most. He didn't go looking for adventures, one simply came to him. He had chances to give up but he didn't he knew that no matter how hard or scary it was he had to finish his task. I really admired his spirit and his endurance, I just knew I would have given up long before that. I have always admired him, years later when I read the books I fell even more in love with The Lord of the Rings and all the characters, especially Frodo.

Frodo isn't perfect, but he is an excellent example of many of the positive attributes we should strive to have. My favourite scene from the movies is in ROTK when Frodo and Sam are at Mt. Doom, and they are too tired to continue. Frodo crawls a little bit up the mountain, he honestly doesn't get very far, but it just shows you that Frodo doesn't give up, he goes on till he absolutely cannot go any further with help. If many people (my self included) put in half as much effort into many details of our daily lives we would be far more successful and complete more things.

There are many parts in the books and films that remind me why Frodo is my favourite character, I can't explain it in too short of a time, but mostly for his endurance, humility, and courage is why I love and admire him so much.

(I really enjoyed reading about Cirdan, I think I shall read more in depth about him I am quite intrigued!)

Finwe
Lorien

May 19 2012, 12:03am

Post #16 of 24 (236 views)
Shortcut
Feanor [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the kind of guy I want my daughter to marry, but I can't help but think of what might of been with him.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

May 22 2012, 1:11am

Post #17 of 24 (228 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Not *the* favorite, but I missed that a great deal.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

May 22 2012, 1:13am

Post #18 of 24 (229 views)
Shortcut
Amen. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

May 22 2012, 1:14am

Post #19 of 24 (229 views)
Shortcut
Yes. That's all I could think of [In reply to] Can't Post

my first time through the Sil (well, not quite all . . .). Unsure

Ethel Duath
Valinor

May 22 2012, 1:15am

Post #20 of 24 (237 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this! The reading room used to be [In reply to] Can't Post

more like this kind of discussion. I like it. Smile

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 22 2012, 1:27am

Post #21 of 24 (447 views)
Shortcut
Probably Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Or more specifically, Aragorn as Strider. Some of my favorite rpg player characters have been Rangers. Self-reliant, largely solitary. The class just appeals to me.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 1 2012, 10:55pm

Post #22 of 24 (202 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

He's Tolkiens King Arthur
You could write volumes about his life prior to the war of the ring

Take this Brother may it serve you well!!!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2012, 11:52am

Post #23 of 24 (228 views)
Shortcut
The Blue Wizards [In reply to] Can't Post

Sheer enigma.

I love that they are a bit like the lost Istari, and there is so much potential for them in terms of stories.

They could have a dynamic relationship with each other, ie.) One feels the attraction of dark powers, and the other does not, and they grow apart, and later end up confronting each other.

They both could have interesting backstories from the Undyling lands

They encounter the huge world and possibilities of the East. Could end up doing epic things and crucial missions.

I've formulated lots of ideas for them, and marked them out more.

Just love them :).

A conventional favourite character would be Bilbo I think lol.

Catch it, catch it, catch it! Dropped it... ...
Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 6 2012, 10:36am

Post #24 of 24 (264 views)
Shortcut
Although a less obscure choice... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still like Gandalf the best, specifically Gandalf the Grey. He always stood out for me in the books, and then Ian McKellen brought him to life so marvellously in the films. On a side note however, I do wish that Tolkien had written more about Cirdan. He really is an interesting character and that article of yours certainly won me over.

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.