Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Have you read the History of Middle-Earth series?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Have you read the History of Middle-Earth series?
Yes, all of the books 7 / 13%
Yes, some of the books 31 / 57%
No, but I'd like to 15 / 28%
No, and am not interested in 1 / 2%
No, because I find the same info from the Internet 0 / 0%
54 total votes

sador
Half-elven

May 3 2012, 8:22am

Post #26 of 43 (160 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Familiarity with The Silmarillion is assumed, and often some parts are missing because they are not really different from the published book. Also, without that knowledge (and/or a taste for Tolkien's poetry) you won't get far anyway.

One thing which might work would be to read Christopher Tolkien's introduction to The Children of Hurin, where he gives an overview of the First Age history. I'm not sure whether it is sufficient for the uninitiated, although I'm wonderig whether to recommend this course to my son.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 3 2012, 8:32am

Post #27 of 43 (193 views)
Shortcut
Letter 131 [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Letter 131 is always a good starting point as well.

It's a great overview (fairly brief) of everything from the beginning of The Silmarillion to the appendices of the Lord of the Rings, written, of course, by Tolkien himself.

RosieLass
Valinor

May 3 2012, 6:41pm

Post #28 of 43 (148 views)
Shortcut
I am working on some of them. [In reply to] Can't Post

The ones that follow the development of the LOTR story.

Those are the only ones I'm really interested in.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

May 3 2012, 7:44pm

Post #29 of 43 (150 views)
Shortcut
It could be [In reply to] Can't Post

that people who have read HoME are more inclined to click this discussion and vote, than those who have no interest in it. However, I'm a bit surprised aswell.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 3 2012, 8:12pm

Post #30 of 43 (173 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

I expected more no's

sador
Half-elven

May 4 2012, 5:30am

Post #31 of 43 (158 views)
Shortcut
The interesting question [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be asking those who have read only some of them: Are they in the middle? Are only some of the books available? Did they begin and lose interest? Did they feel disappointed? Overwhelmed? Underwhelmed? Did they just decide in is not for them, or that they did not have the time for it?

I quite expected the greatest group would be those who've leafed through on of the twelve books, but never read all the series. But I am surprised at the small number of categorical "no"s.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

May 4 2012, 4:19pm

Post #32 of 43 (135 views)
Shortcut
For my part [In reply to] Can't Post

I can say I haven't read all of them, because I haven't got my hands on books 3 and 5. Of the books I have read, I've loved them all. But I'm such a pathetic Tolkien junkie I immediately like everything he writes. If I haven't liked it before, I learn to like it - actually it was Tolkien who made me interested in botany and linguistics in the first place.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 4 2012, 8:46pm

Post #33 of 43 (155 views)
Shortcut
The HOME series [In reply to] Can't Post

I own copies of:

- Vol. I - The Book of Lost Tales
- Vol. IV - The Shaping of Middle-earth
- Vol. VI - The Return of the Shadow

I have also read The History of the Hobbit (both volumes). I would probably read more of these books, but they can be a bit dry and I have to be in the right mood for them.

tolkiennerd
Lorien

May 5 2012, 1:56am

Post #34 of 43 (139 views)
Shortcut
no :( [In reply to] Can't Post

but I hope to one day.

Arwen Skywalker
Lorien

May 5 2012, 4:11am

Post #35 of 43 (145 views)
Shortcut
only some parts [In reply to] Can't Post

Just The Book of Lost Tales. I'd like to read the rest of it but the problem is at Barnes and Noble, you have to buy the entire set and I don't want to have two copies of Lost Tales. Part I was a bit difficult but I really liked Part II. Personally, my favorite story is The Fall of Gondolin, which fills in a lot of the missing gaps from the Sil. In the Lost Tales version of the story, Idril fights "like a tigress" to defend herself and her son. I'll never understand why this was cut from the Sil.

Annael
Half-elven

May 5 2012, 2:07pm

Post #36 of 43 (130 views)
Shortcut
some [In reply to] Can't Post

Alas, I've found the debates in the Reading Room have actually lessened my desire to finish the series.

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 5 2012, 11:06pm

Post #37 of 43 (113 views)
Shortcut
The Fall of Gondolin in The Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

When Christopher was editing the book, I don't understand why he didn't use much more of this original tale. Obviously, not all of it is consistent with his father's final ideas, but much of it is and could have easily been used to create a much more detailed version of the story. This, and the cut of Hurin's wanderings are really some of the saddest cuts in the published Silmarillion. Glad we're able to read them somewhere though!

Patty
Immortal

May 6 2012, 1:51am

Post #38 of 43 (137 views)
Shortcut
No, although... [In reply to] Can't Post

my reason is pretty lame. I prefer to read stuff that is more structured and finished. These would do as reference books but not enjoyable for me, like the Silmarillion. But I understand there is probably some interesting stuff about elves and their lives that I would like to settle down and read one day.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 6 2012, 9:26am

Post #39 of 43 (203 views)
Shortcut
The Fall of Gondolin [In reply to] Can't Post

Is also one of my favourite parts. I wish some of it had made it into the Silmarillion. Maybe in a future release Wink

sam90
Lorien

May 6 2012, 3:54pm

Post #40 of 43 (131 views)
Shortcut
Never read those. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never read these series by Christopher Tolkien but it sounds interesting for someone who want to know everything about the process of creation of Middle-Earth, the writting and all those things and want to be scholar of the subject. I've seen them on the Internet and I should say the whole thing is quite expansive. I'll pass my turn for now. I am satisfied with the story books of Tolkien and a book like Unfinished Tales bring some deepening.

(This post was edited by sam90 on May 6 2012, 3:59pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 6 2012, 5:58pm

Post #41 of 43 (115 views)
Shortcut
I'm personally hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

that Christopher will compile the whole story into a single volume like he did with The Children of Hurin. I'd like to have the two books sitting side-by-side on my shelf Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

May 6 2012, 7:12pm

Post #42 of 43 (114 views)
Shortcut
Me too! We can only hope! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Finwe
Lorien

May 19 2012, 12:11am

Post #43 of 43 (146 views)
Shortcut
Peoples of Middle Earth is the best IMHO [In reply to] Can't Post

I have read all but the Lord of the Rings history. I'm sure I will eventually, but for some reason it just doesn't compare to the history of the Elder Days. I think it's because Lord of the Rings is a completed, set in stone work, whereas the Sil is more of a compilation, so reading the backstory feels like reading actual history, not just stuff left on the cutting room floor.

I do find it is easy to get a lot of info off the net though. When bored, I'll punch up a random Encyclopedia of Arda or Wikipedia entry. I actually remember first finding the EoA website cause of its movie-goers companions, reading about some of the entries about First Age characters and thinking, "Man I wish I could read more about this." It wasn't until my brother told me about the Sil and UT that I realized I actually could!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.