Instructions for ordering Map Prints - deadline October 12
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Kethry
Lorien

Jan 29 2008, 8:34pm

Post #176 of 195 (7939 views)
Shortcut
So I got a surprise on Saturday. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had left my map at my parents' house when I moved, because it did not have a proper frame. This past Saturday I went to their house to use their computer and have dinner. When noticing the new arrangement of the furniture in the front room, I saw a large framed object in a plastic bag leaning against the wall. So I bent over to take a long at this, as the frame was not one I had seen before.

To my great astonishment, it was my map! They had gotten it framed for me without telling me. It is so beautiful! I will borrow my mom's camera so that I can get a proper picture of it and post it, because I feel a great desire to show it off. I brought it home that night and was so excited to have it, I forgot that it was midnight and my upstairs neighbor would not like to be woken up from sleep by a hammer pounding downstairs. So I hung it up in my bedroom. Oh, it is a lovely thing!

After I had calmed down from my initial surprise on Saturday, and could be torn away from looking at the map, mom told me that they had planned to tease me with it, I suppose by hanging it in their house to see if I noticed. And then I was told that it was an early birthday present. My birthday is more than four months away. But as the value of the framing job is a whole lot more than the cost of the map, I can be very happy with this present.

"Any kind of plan where you lose your hat... is a bad plan."

'But it does not seem that I can trust anyone,' said Frodo.
Sam looked at him unhappily. 'It all depends on what you want,' put in Merry. 'You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin - to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours - closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo.'

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2008, 10:54pm

Post #177 of 195 (7902 views)
Shortcut
What fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love to see it when you can post a piccie. Aren't they great?!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 29 2008, 11:32pm

Post #178 of 195 (7918 views)
Shortcut
what a great surprise!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait to see a picture of it.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"And we must all bring Provisions."
"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."
"Oh!" said Pooh happily. "I thought you said Provisions.
I'll go and tell them." And he stumped off.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2008, 10:05pm

Post #179 of 195 (7905 views)
Shortcut
That's a great story [In reply to] Can't Post

I kind of wish your family had been able to hang the map around the house, waiting to see if you would notice. Wink

Can't wait to see pictures!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31 2008, 11:05pm

Post #180 of 195 (7957 views)
Shortcut
finally got mine framed [In reply to] Can't Post

Here it is in my home office:

(I like that you can see the hedge outside the window reflected in it)

Here's a detail of the matting and frame. I love the frame - it looks like waves. The entire framing shop got involved in picking this out after I told them what it was.

.We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 31 2008, 11:32pm

Post #181 of 195 (7895 views)
Shortcut
gorgeous!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a GORGEOUS frame! It looks wonderful with your mat and (of course) the Map!

I love seeing all these frames, thanks for sending yours.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

Kethry
Lorien

Jan 31 2008, 11:36pm

Post #182 of 195 (7885 views)
Shortcut
Oh that's lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks marvelous and I love that frame. And it looks great on that colorful wall, too.

Sam looked at him unhappily. 'It all depends on what you want,' put in Merry. 'You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin - to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours - closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo.'

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2008, 12:43am

Post #183 of 195 (7900 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful!!! /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 3:12pm

Post #184 of 195 (7891 views)
Shortcut
Very, very nice!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

hatster
Rohan

Feb 7 2008, 1:34am

Post #185 of 195 (7945 views)
Shortcut
Finally Framed [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't tell you how I felt last week when I went past the frame shop where it was and there were fire trucks in front and firmen on top. Fortunately, the map was in the workshop in the other store...WHEW!

And here's the obligatory closeup of the frame :-)

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

(This post was edited by hatster on Feb 7 2008, 1:39am)

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 7 2008, 1:40am

Post #186 of 195 (7925 views)
Shortcut
another gorgeous result! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how the line of carving on the inside of the frame itself is between the mat and the plainer outside of the frame; it sets off the map beautifully, for some reason (I'm no artist, I only know what I like). It sort of echoes the inner dark mat (or that dark rectangular line on the inside of the mat) and draws my eye right to the map!

Very classy.

Heart

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

hatster
Rohan

Feb 7 2008, 1:47am

Post #187 of 195 (7925 views)
Shortcut
you are too kind... I went back TWICE LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

and made changes. I took it to the shop on my birthday (11/16) and changed my mind about the mat (yeah, that's a green mat behind the tan one) then went back the week after that and changed my mind on the frame. Fortunately the shop moves at a glacial speed and nothing had been done, but after my second change of heart I told them to have it ready after Christmas and promised I'd not change it again.

I love yours with that dark and yet delicate frame. I wish I had the courage to do something really special like that. Yours looks fabulous.

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

(This post was edited by hatster on Feb 7 2008, 1:49am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2008, 2:56am

Post #188 of 195 (7910 views)
Shortcut
Another winner! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the hardest time deciding, and finally put myself in the hands of the person at the frame shop. He gave me several options and I made the final selection. You made a great choice, even if it took a couple attempts!

Congratulations. I might actually get mine on the wall this weekend - it's been propped up on the mantel for weeks.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

hatster
Rohan

Feb 9 2008, 3:41am

Post #189 of 195 (7908 views)
Shortcut
you are another one with guts :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that dark mat on yours. I'm wishing I'd listened to the frame shop lady and switched the mats on mine so the dark one the wider *sigh*. Yours is lovely. Oh and, do get it on the wall. You'll be amazed at how it becomes new again. I stop every time I pass mine now to enjoy it again.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2008, 4:47pm

Post #190 of 195 (8077 views)
Shortcut
I think it's just dark in the picture [In reply to] Can't Post

We seem to have had no sun for months, and the picture I took showed a darker mat than what I really have. It's kind of a fawn color, with a silvery-gold frame (if that makes any sense). I still need to get a proper picture of it.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Kethry
Lorien

Apr 7 2008, 12:35am

Post #191 of 195 (7900 views)
Shortcut
So I finally have pictures of my map. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I finally started myself a blog, so here's the post about it. Hopefully. If it doesn't work, let me know.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 7 2008, 12:50am

Post #192 of 195 (7851 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

You must have been blown away by your parents' thoughtfulness!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kethry
Lorien

Apr 7 2008, 1:12am

Post #193 of 195 (7884 views)
Shortcut
I certainly was, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I sat and stared at it for 15 minutes. Then they forced me to go and eat dinner, but I went back to look as soon as I could. Laugh

My parents are just the best. My mom was surprised that I hung the map in my room, instead of out in the hall, but I like to look at it. I don't have enough people visiting my apartment that I need to keep it in the hall to show it off.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 7 2008, 4:38am

Post #194 of 195 (7870 views)
Shortcut
Very nice indeed. Not only... [In reply to] Can't Post

will this map always remind you of TORN and the movies, but you will always think of your parents' love when you look at it.

For Gondor!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 8 2008, 4:18pm

Post #195 of 195 (8296 views)
Shortcut
What a nice surprise! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I love the frame and matting. Your mat looks similar to mine.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.