Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Most heartbreaking movie moment?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Most heartbreaking movie moment?
Frodo and Sam (on their way to Bree) watching the Elves leave ME 2 / 1%
Gandalf's fall to the Balrog (and the tears that ensued) 40 / 17%
Boromir's death/redemption scene 42 / 18%
Seeing the women and children hiding the caves of Helm's Deep 2 / 1%
Haldir's death 10 / 4%
Smeagol killing Deagol on the riverbank 1 / 0%
Frodo sending Sam away, on the stairs of Cirith Ungol 19 / 8%
King Theoden's death 23 / 10%
Gollum's fall 3 / 1%
Frodo's departure from ME at the Grey Havens 74 / 31%
Another?  Let's hear about it... 19 / 8%
237 total votes

zarabia
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2012, 2:19am

Post #26 of 42 (223 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, but I think I missed some :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2012, 2:27am

Post #27 of 42 (249 views)
Shortcut
How could I have forgotten those scenes with Arwen?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't cry, but I definitely get a lump in my throat as well as goosebumps; actually goosebumps upon goosebumps :) So very beautiful.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2012, 2:37am

Post #28 of 42 (253 views)
Shortcut
I have a related question. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems that no one has mentioned Sam crying over Frodo after Frodo has been stung by Shelob and wrapped in webs. I found the webbing phony looking and the green goo way over done. I wanted to feel something for this scene, but it looked so fake that it drew me out of the moment. Just wondering if others felt the same, or if not, why didn't anyone list it? In the book it was definitely one of the more heartbreaking scenes.

BTW, I'm not not attacking PJ or the films in general; if you've seen my list in this thread, you'll see that there are numerous scenes that truly moved me. Just not this one.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Apr 30 2012, 2:42am

Post #29 of 42 (266 views)
Shortcut
Plus [In reply to] Can't Post

How did Sam extract the Ring on its chain from Frodo's neck when the latter is completely wrapped in really strong spider's web? Always bothers me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 30 2012, 6:40am

Post #30 of 42 (234 views)
Shortcut
Could've used Sting? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2012, 9:59am

Post #31 of 42 (251 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a middle-earth Conspiracy Theory ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughCoolWink

(in terms of the thread: Grey Havens alllll the way. It broke me down so much, with the looong build up of the final scenes with Howard Shore's WONDERFUL Grey Havens/I'll Carry You/A far green Country cello theme/motif (the most emotional theme ever))

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Apr 30 2012, 10:05am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 30 2012, 2:44pm

Post #32 of 42 (243 views)
Shortcut
He was known as "Sam the Dip" for his mad skillz. [In reply to] Can't Post

Learning gardening was just a requirement of the rehabilitation program in the Michel Delving lockholes.

And you know who *really* lifted Bilbo's silver? Sam's mentor: Hamfast "Fasthands" Gamgee.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 30 2012, 6:02pm

Post #33 of 42 (202 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so disappointed in that whole scene. Rankin-Bass got it right and Jackson didn't.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Apr 30 2012, 7:57pm

Post #34 of 42 (181 views)
Shortcut
that one didn't get to me in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

...which is interesting because it upsets me SO much in the book, every single time. The first time I read it, when I didn't realize Frodo was alive, was the worst. I made the mistake of reading that scene in my college's library, and found myself sitting in the middle of the reading room, bawling my eyes out.

But in the movie? I don't know why it doesn't affect me more. It just doesn't. It might be because there are so many powerfully sad moments in Return of the King that I am on my guard; I can't let any one moment affect me too much, because what's coming is worse. Not sure, but that's at least part of my reaction.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Apr 30 2012, 8:04pm

Post #35 of 42 (231 views)
Shortcut
Boromir's death [In reply to] Can't Post

Of all the moments of all the films, that is the one part which invariably hits me the hardest. In part, it's because P.J. has made Boromir so much more sympathetic of a character than he was in the book. We understand his motivations, and can see so clearly why he falls prey to the Ring. Unlike the Boromir of the book, who always strikes me as pure arrogance, this Boromir is somebody I actually like and care about, a noble and honorable (if flawed) man, who messes up, horribly. And then he dies, trying to set things right. His final moments with Aragorn are particularly affecting.

The fact that he cares so much about the Hobbits also gets me. The way he says "they took the little ones" breaks my heart.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 1 2012, 10:43am

Post #36 of 42 (235 views)
Shortcut
When Karl Urban...races to the audience terrified. [In reply to] Can't Post

as Eomer realizes his Baby sister
was there
and his dead Uncle next to her

I'M a puddle of tears ...
I kinda am a little too protective
of Women...

Especially since Goldberry passed into...
The West recently

It will probably take Litt'e ol Bomby
Quite sometime ...

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 1 2012, 10:55am

Post #37 of 42 (171 views)
Shortcut
aaww Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

May 1 2012, 9:24pm

Post #38 of 42 (181 views)
Shortcut
Karl Urban's Eomer [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you, Bomby.

This one is the top of my list, too. Out of all the emotionally honest performances too numerous to count by LOTR actors, this feels like the single most honest moment. It simply shatters me every time. Hearing his cry of shock and horror, we know that this staunch warrior will be inconsolable at losing his beloved sister.

I think this must have come out of a very profound place in Urban's life.

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 2 2012, 7:45pm

Post #39 of 42 (124 views)
Shortcut
Other... [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for the aftermath of Gandalf's fall, but also for another. I love the scene right after the destruction of the Ring when Sam and Frodo are on the rock with the lava flowing around them and they talk about Rosie Cotton and Frodo says "I'm glad you're with me Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things."

Eomer finding Eowyn is also a good one Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

May 2 2012, 7:57pm

Post #40 of 42 (136 views)
Shortcut
"I will take it!" [In reply to] Can't Post

"I will take the ring to Mordor. Though... I do not know the way..."

Just when you think the little guy can go home and live happily ever after....

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

May 4 2012, 11:09am

Post #41 of 42 (159 views)
Shortcut
The Undying Lands [In reply to] Can't Post

were the only place he could find peace and heal and therfore live out his natural life before dying.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 17 2012, 12:03am

Post #42 of 42 (138 views)
Shortcut
The whole - [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden's being mortally wounded and Eowyn's subsequent battle with the Witch King to defend him even though he dies.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.