Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Elrond in the movies
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 8:55pm

Post #26 of 40 (207 views)
Shortcut
Eh? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 6 2012, 9:03pm

Post #27 of 40 (210 views)
Shortcut
You understand perfectly well what I wrote. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil was capable of destroying the Ring; it had no hold over him and he had no desire for it. However, he was too 'flighty' (for lack of a better word) to be sent on such a mission.

Now, let's not argue in front of the children.

"Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night!
King of Darkness, who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos.
I call upon thee and swear myself to thee!
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess!"

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 9:05pm

Post #28 of 40 (212 views)
Shortcut
But I'm not arguing and [In reply to] Can't Post

you put what I was saying ... just differently Wink

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 6 2012, 9:08pm

Post #29 of 40 (208 views)
Shortcut
It's a matter of semantics... [In reply to] Can't Post

The words 'could' and 'would' are not interchangable. Hopefully, this ends the matter.

"Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night!
King of Darkness, who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos.
I call upon thee and swear myself to thee!
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess!"

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 9:13pm

Post #30 of 40 (213 views)
Shortcut
Ok Otaku-sempai [In reply to] Can't Post

I am well aware of when to use "could" and "would". Shall leave it at that my friend Smile (mainly because I am confused rather than anything else).

imin
Valinor

Apr 6 2012, 9:54pm

Post #31 of 40 (196 views)
Shortcut
I have always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

elendil and gil-galad 'killed' sauron and isildur effectively just chopped off the ring from saurons hand. But i have read other posts (in other forums etc) which say they think elendil and gil-galad greatly wound/subdue sauron but its isildur who actually kills him.

I think from tolkien's writings people can interpret it either way. i will try looking for the quotes at some time, right now its late.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 9:59pm

Post #32 of 40 (188 views)
Shortcut
Letter 131 [In reply to] Can't Post

Gilgalad and Elendil are slain in the act of slaying Sauron. Isildur, Elendil's son, cuts the ring from Sauron's hand, and his power departs, and his spirit flees into the shadows

But then how does one define "slaying"? To overwelm or to kill?

imin
Valinor

Apr 6 2012, 10:30pm

Post #33 of 40 (192 views)
Shortcut
yeah exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always took it to be they essentially killed sauron and isildur did the last tiny little bit but then obviously claimed he did more.

But i have read other peoples interpretations of this passage saying they died and sauron was dying but not dead and so it was isildur in the end that killed him.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 10:33pm

Post #34 of 40 (190 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, its a tricky one [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't find any other substantial passages (did you?). It really depends how you define "slaying". I can see both sides of the arguments

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 10:43pm

Post #35 of 40 (218 views)
Shortcut
There was a similar discussion on imdb recently [In reply to] Can't Post

about the word 'smote'. Did Gandalf kill the Balrog? It hinges on how one defines smote.

http://www.imdb.com/...board/nest/195865593

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Apr 10 2012, 9:46pm

Post #36 of 40 (170 views)
Shortcut
UM Aren't Elves Weaker Then Men [In reply to] Can't Post

When it comes to the one ring. The Wizards and Elves cannot even touch the ring because they become evil in a second. I realize Galadrial was a witch and all but my point is that I think an Elf when it comes to the ring become more twisted then a Hobbit or Human ever could be. Id say Elrond would have become evil lord Elrond.

The True King Of Mordor

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Apr 10 2012, 10:14pm

Post #37 of 40 (185 views)
Shortcut
TheGoblinKing [In reply to] Can't Post

they fear it becasue they have knowledge in the matter and know what can happen. They are exhibiting their wisdom not a weakness by refusing to touch the One Ring. Men are more readily susceptible than elves or wizards and as such men were the easiest of all races for Sauron to corrupt. The dwarves proved resistant and the Hobbits proved to be unexpectadly resistant but to paraphrase Gandalf "There is only one power that knows all about the rings and no power that knows all about Hobbits."

Also Galadriel was not a witch although some held that opinion of her such as the Rohirrim, who Gimli was only too happy to re-educate under the loving blows of his axe, out of respect for the lady Galadriel.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Apr 11 2012, 12:43am

Post #38 of 40 (163 views)
Shortcut
Still Yet [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Elves would be taken quick by the ring like Gollum. I think we don't know if Elrond is any more morally better then Isuildor simple because he neve rhad the ring in his hand or touching his skin. I think its a greater thing that BIlbo a Hobbit can use it like a toy while Gandalf and Elves are affraid to even touch it.

The True King Of Mordor

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Apr 11 2012, 1:18am

Post #39 of 40 (159 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo could use [In reply to] Can't Post

it like a toy because he did not know what it was, or indeed what it was capable of during his time as the bearer of the One Ring and he had no desire for power or domination of others, which is the primary purpose of the One Ring "One Ring to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them" literally the intent of Sauron when he forged the One Ring. Whereas the powerful who know what the One Ring is would want to do good with it but it would ultimately turn them to evil ways. I do not have the books with me but Gandalf and Galadriel both specifically say this of themselves.

Gollum started his bearership of the Ring with an evil act, the murder of Deagol. It is not suggested that the Ring made him do anything that he was not inclined to do anyway although the appearance of the Ring is suggested to be a trigger for his action. In complete contrast to this, Bilbo started his bearership of the Ring with mercy. He spared Gollum's life when he (Bilbo) was trying to escape and it would have been much easier for him to stab Gollum instead of leaping over him. Therefore although they are essentially of the same race, due to their inherent nature, one being evil and the other being good, as well as their actions, an evil act as opposed to good act, respectively made it easier or more difficult for the One Ring to exert it's influence over them as individuals.

Elrond is no more appreciably morally superior or more of a "good" person than Isildur. They are both mighty and noble, in the books at least. It is the movies that make it appear that bearing the One Ring or claiming it makes one automatically inclined to evil. In the books this is not the case. The Ring works in assisting a persons actions and they start out thinking they are doing good and it turns them to evil ways eventually, and the time this takes varies on the persons specific stature and the degree to which they were inclined towards good or evil to start with. To this end there is nothing to say that elves or Istari (the wizards) are more susceptible as races to domination by the One Ring than humans, hobbits or dwarves.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Apr 11 2012, 1:22am)

aruman
Rivendell

Apr 11 2012, 2:48am

Post #40 of 40 (286 views)
Shortcut
AND... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum may have been wicked before the ring, and it can also be argued that he was driven mad by the Ring the first time he laid eyes on it...but Gandalf also stated in the Shadow of the Past chapter of FOTR (I believe) that Gollum proved to be very tough against he Rings will, as their was a small part of his mind that was still his...

In the movies Elrond, Denethor, Haldir, Galadriel, and Celeborn stink.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.