Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Have you heard them all?
Poll: Have you heard them all?
FOTR - Cast 7 / 5%
FOTR - Director and writers 9 / 7%
FOTR - Producers and editors 11 / 8%
FOTR - Production design 11 / 8%
TTT - Cast 8 / 6%
TTT - Director and writers 10 / 7%
TTT - Producers and editors 11 / 8%
TTT - Production design 11 / 8%
ROTK - Cast 8 / 6%
ROTK - Director and writers 11 / 8%
ROTK - Producers and editors 10 / 7%
ROTK - Production design 11 / 8%
I have heard them all! 17 / 13%
135 total votes

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 28 2012, 2:57am

Post #1 of 15 (563 views)
Shortcut
Have you heard them all? Can't Post

Which of these LOTR DVD commentaries have you NOT listened to yet?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 28 2012, 2:59am)

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 28 2012, 4:44am

Post #2 of 15 (225 views)
Shortcut
I haven't listened to any of the ROTK commentaries. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first thing I did when I got the ROTK EE was to scan through and look at the new scenes, and they were kinda disappointing so that I didn't bother to watch the movie all the way through until a couple years ago. And I've just never gone back to listen to the commentaries since then.

The commentaries to FOTR and TTT I really enjoyed, though. At least, the director and the technical teams. The cast commentaries were novelties but they didn't really add anything to the movie. Merry and Pippin weren't as funny as they thought they were, and I kept wanting to tell Sam to shut up and let Frodo talk for a change. :P

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Mar 28 2012, 4:46am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 28 2012, 6:07am

Post #3 of 15 (177 views)
Shortcut
The production team commentaries [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't listened to the editor/producer/production team commentaries. I really and truly feel bad about it because they certainly deserve all kinds of credit. But I tried listening once on one of the videos, but most of what they said that was of interest had been covered by PJ in his commentaries. Some day I'll try again. I believe all those behind the scene people deserve their say. Maybe their comments should have been more artfully edited in with one of the other commentary tracks where pertinent.

I enjoyed listening to Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens the most. They gave real insight into how they went about crafting the story; deciding what to keep in, leave out or change, and why. I thought that was interesting. PJ was a bit repetitive with details about green screen shots, etc.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Mar 28 2012, 6:10am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 7:11am

Post #4 of 15 (244 views)
Shortcut
I think I've hear them all [In reply to] Can't Post

When the DVD's first came out (all those years ago) they were on non-stop until every piece of video, commentary, shot and information was in my head Sly

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 28 2012, 3:15pm

Post #5 of 15 (147 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Eruvande and I watched all the extras right when we got the dvds. [In reply to] Can't Post

But not since then. I don't think he listened to the commentaries at all, but I know I did. Clearly I'm married to a NARF. Tongue

imin
Valinor

Mar 28 2012, 3:19pm

Post #6 of 15 (167 views)
Shortcut
I added a vote to all [In reply to] Can't Post

but have heard them all - obviously :(

Maybe its time i for me to listen to them!

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 28 2012, 4:40pm

Post #7 of 15 (379 views)
Shortcut
I haven't listened to any of them... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have hearing problems so I rely on closed-captioning a lot, and since they're not supplied with the DVD, then I'm out of luck... Frown

Not that it doesn't make for some interesting moments while watching the movies. For example, at Helm's Deep, when Gimli says "The sun is rising", I heard "Your son is rising." I kept looking for Theodred to do a Lazarus-type entrance. Laugh And not to mention what I thought I heard one of the Uruk-hai cry out as he fell from a ladder... what a potty mouth! Evil

Patty
Immortal

Mar 29 2012, 7:04pm

Post #8 of 15 (116 views)
Shortcut
I have heard them all, but it's been so long ago I've forgotten every word. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to do like gramma does, and put them on a tape to listen to when I'm doing something else.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 29 2012, 8:09pm

Post #9 of 15 (162 views)
Shortcut
I've heard all of the FOTR commentaries [In reply to] Can't Post

And hardly any of the ROTK commentaries. I always meant to get around to them, but the extended ROTK is just such a long movie!

KAOS82
Rohan

Mar 29 2012, 11:54pm

Post #10 of 15 (132 views)
Shortcut
I've heard ALL [In reply to] Can't Post

and not just once but twice!!! Shocked

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Mar 30 2012, 10:47pm

Post #11 of 15 (102 views)
Shortcut
Planning on finishing them... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard all but the technical departments on The Two Towers and the Production Team on Return of the King. All are fascinating listens. The cast in particular, if only for Dom and Billy. In stitches so much with them.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 1 2012, 3:54pm

Post #12 of 15 (132 views)
Shortcut
I've heard all [In reply to] Can't Post

and with heard I mean heard.
I usually put them on while I'm doing cross stitch. I can not really watch movies than, but I can listen. So that is why I heard them all.
I like director the best. Cast and crew are just fun. The others are informative. But as somebody said before, PJ covered most of that in his commentary.

Nightingale
Rohan

Apr 1 2012, 6:00pm

Post #13 of 15 (193 views)
Shortcut
That's a great tip [In reply to] Can't Post

for when I'm next looking for something to listen to while stitching! Thanks. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3 2012, 1:12am

Post #14 of 15 (103 views)
Shortcut
There are 2 I haven't listened to yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

The RotK Producers and Editors & Production Design. I've done this on purpose. I've put all of the eedvd commentaries onto cassette tapes and listen to them when I go for my walks... but I've held off listening to these only because I can't bear to have it end. I'm saving these for when I need a fix of something... one last new thing... to discover from the films. It's coming up soon, though. The close we get to The Hobbit hitting theatres, the more I'm needing that fix :)

Patty
Immortal

Apr 3 2012, 2:38am

Post #15 of 15 (298 views)
Shortcut
There are some you haven't heard? [In reply to] Can't Post

somebody come pick me up off the floor!!!CrazyCool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.