The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Elrond vs Legolas

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Mar 27 2012, 3:58am

Post #1 of 21 (6063 views)
Shortcut
Elrond vs Legolas Can't Post

What if One day Elrond and Gimli was making jokes about how drunk the Mirkwood Elves get and Legolas takes offense when Elrond days until this day Thranduil is not sure which elf maiden was Legolas's mother.
Legolas challenges Elrond to a duel to the death.
So who do you think would win.

The True King Of Mordor

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 27 2012, 7:20am

Post #2 of 21 (5581 views)
Shortcut
Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

He doesn't wear tights

YavannaValar
The Shire

Mar 27 2012, 5:52pm

Post #3 of 21 (5508 views)
Shortcut
Oooh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't play dirty people. (I think elrond. He's got more practice, being severl thousand years older)

What is this thing you call 'normal'? Is it contagious? Stay away from me! I might catch your 'normal'.

imin
Valinor

Mar 27 2012, 6:29pm

Post #4 of 21 (5515 views)
Shortcut
How old is legolas?/ [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 27 2012, 7:09pm

Post #5 of 21 (5537 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's ever stated? [In reply to] Can't Post

Having a quick look suggests sometime after 1000 Third Age. Tolkien does how ever describe Legolas as being the oldest of the Fellowship, save Gandalf. So he is very old?!

Edit: this website is better: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/l/legolas.html

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 27 2012, 7:12pm)

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Mar 28 2012, 12:54am

Post #6 of 21 (5489 views)
Shortcut

Simply because he was there and battle The Army when Sauron was at full power. Legolas in that kind of fight would have been a ways back so he could pick people off.
I say Elrond would move in and take him out by close quarter. I have seen Legolas fight hard and fancy but my feeling is Elrond kills one enemy and on to the next opponent type of fighter. Also Elrond can see in the future so he likely like Sherlock Holmes plays out the fight in his head an knows what Moves Legolas will use.

The True King Of Mordor

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 7:24am

Post #7 of 21 (5518 views)
Shortcut
Minor correction [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond can't "see into the future", but has the gift of foresight - yes there is only a subtle difference but Elrond isn't a soothsayer that can tell what someone is going to do in 2 days time. It's similar to Galadriels mirror :

Even the wisest cannot tell. For the morror shows many things... things that were... things that are... and some things that have not yet come to pass.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Mar 28 2012, 1:51pm

Post #8 of 21 (5470 views)
Shortcut
I Was Trying TO Give Elrond AN aVANTAGE [In reply to] Can't Post

The True King Of Mordor

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 1:59pm

Post #9 of 21 (5487 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't need an advantage [In reply to] Can't Post

He's better than Legolas Wink That's enough Laugh

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Mar 28 2012, 4:03pm

Post #10 of 21 (5490 views)
Shortcut
I Wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what Thranguils fighting style will be like. It will be odd seeing Drunk elves. So I am guessing they are the savage clan unlike the other 2 places.

The True King Of Mordor

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 4:20pm

Post #11 of 21 (5468 views)
Shortcut
Elves of Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

The Elves of Mirkwood consisted of both Silvan and Sindarin (as Oropher, Legolas' grandfather was from Doriath) elves.

As you can read in the Unifnished Tales (published after LOTR), Oropher of Mirkwood/Greenwood wanted to overthrow Sauron and led the first assualt against Mordor, despite Gil-Galad's intent and wished. This attack was essentially reckless, and unsurprising Oropher and the majority of the army were killed. Thranduil then became King.

I say this because it may reveal what sort of warriors they are. Reckless, but perhaps deadly? I find it likely, however, that since that attack, the Mirkwood elves adopted different skills and strategies. They were friends to men as they traded with them. And being in Mirkwood they long had to put-up with the growing darkness of the forest, due to the Necromancer in Dol Guldur. Because they only appear (in great extent) during The Hobbit, what there fighting skills will be like is anyone's guess Smile

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Mar 28 2012, 4:29pm

Post #12 of 21 (5483 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

He comes across as pampered and Spoiled. While Elrond seems well not as hard to have a conversation with. Legolas acts like snob and thats likely why i liked him least of The Fellowship.
Maybe its also is a factor that i am Team Dwarf not Team Elf.

The True King Of Mordor

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 4:33pm

Post #13 of 21 (5475 views)
Shortcut
Legolas a snob? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do you say that?

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Mar 28 2012, 4:42pm

Post #14 of 21 (5469 views)
Shortcut
Can't Think Of A Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot think of a scene. Its just that Orlando in his roles comes off as having this D'rtanian type attitude. I cannot use the word but lets say too me comes off Having a bit of a Stick Up his Fruit Basket.

The True King Of Mordor

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 4:50pm

Post #15 of 21 (5479 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that is snobbery [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion anyway. The characterisation of Legolas in the films has been done to make him "cool" (riding down an Oliphaunt for example). You also have to remember that he is a regal elf that is probably highly respected in Mirkwood. Smile

imin
Valinor

Mar 28 2012, 5:07pm

Post #16 of 21 (5451 views)
Shortcut
I think thats more down to OB [In reply to] Can't Post

i am not sure but i dont think he had done much acting up until that point, so its more his Keanu Reeves wooden acting that you are disliking than Legolas the character.

In the movie he comes across as someone that can probably defeat the entire army of mordor by himself, if given enough arrows, lol.

In a duel between elrond and legolas, i would have to go with elrond. Just down to the fact he fought in a tougher war and i just think he will be stronger, given he has part maia in him (albeit a small amount).

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2012, 5:19pm

Post #17 of 21 (5445 views)
Shortcut
This made me laugh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the movie he comes across as someone that can probably defeat the entire army of mordor by himself, if given enough arrows, lol.

Laugh

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2012, 1:04am

Post #18 of 21 (6273 views)
Shortcut

He's got a ring of power.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Nimphelos

Apr 9 2012, 2:30am

Post #19 of 21 (5607 views)
Shortcut
Elrond no doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond is simply wiser and more experienced and therefore more of a boss.

Not to mention Hugo Weaving is way more badass than Orlando Bloom Cool

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Jun 18 2012, 1:04pm

Post #20 of 21 (5513 views)
Shortcut
Elrond pwns [In reply to] Can't Post

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jan 7 2014, 5:00pm

Post #21 of 21 (5203 views)
Shortcut

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.