Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How Are you going to watchThe Hobbit for the first time.???
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How Are you going to watchThe Hobbit for the first time.
By myself ( too distracting with others around) 12 / 21%
With a girlfriend or Partner 13 / 23%
With cousins/other family 13 / 23%
With Mum and Dad 8 / 14%
On dvd/Bluray. 1 / 2%
With a group of friends. 10 / 18%
Stream it on the  Internet. 0 / 0%
Pirated movie 0 / 0%
57 total votes

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 7:22pm

Post #26 of 37 (92 views)
Shortcut
The weight [In reply to] Can't Post

It may be comfortable because the weight is well distributed - but will it actually be comfortable to sit in for 3 hours? I get fidgety sometimes (and depending on the cinema, hot or cold) - I can't see it being very practical Wink

I really hope people over here for dressing up on the first showing - must add to the atmosphere tenfold!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 6 2012, 7:31pm

Post #27 of 37 (142 views)
Shortcut
Comfort and atmosphere... [In reply to] Can't Post

The hot/cold doesn't enter into it because you wear padded gambeson worn under it. Now yes, that can make it too hot for chain, but if it's too cold, it's well below freezing. Chain is more comfortable to sit in than to stand in because of weight distribution points. If it's your first time in it you'll likely get uncomfortable, but if you've worn it even for a week or so you'll be fine.
As to atmosphere? The only theatre I could find that did a midnight showing for The Fellowship of the Ring was in Denver so I drove the 40 minutes, plus time to find parking in Lower Downtown (LoDo) and the theatre owner agreed to let me see it for free if I'd do promo work in front of his theatre (which of course I did, being an old thespian). When I walked in last to the theatre before they started the endless adverts/trailers before the film I got a standing ovation (It helped that I had a small pyrotechnic rigged to my stave). Yeah, I think it helps the atmosphere for watching quite a bit! <g>

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 9:15pm

Post #28 of 37 (125 views)
Shortcut
Must've been great [In reply to] Can't Post

to see that. I think people over here are more conservative when it comes to that type of thing though. We will see though - I didn't see FOTR or TTT on opening nights.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 6 2012, 9:58pm

Post #29 of 37 (119 views)
Shortcut
"I'm BRITISH"... [In reply to] Can't Post

"So are THESE!" <rips her bodice open>

The above quotes from Mel Brooks' "Dracula, Dead and Loving It"

It really depends upon where you are. The major cities have people that will get wild for the right thing (normally football) but generally you're right and the British are more staid (I lived in Anglia for 3 years).

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 10:04pm

Post #30 of 37 (86 views)
Shortcut
I just moved out of East Anglia!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the three films in North London - everybody was boring Tongue

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 6 2012, 10:09pm

Post #31 of 37 (127 views)
Shortcut
I was posted at RAF Lakenheath... [In reply to] Can't Post

and lived in Bury St Edmunds. Dated a girl who was posted at RAC Mill Hill in N London.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 10:12pm

Post #32 of 37 (114 views)
Shortcut
What strange coincidences, a small world. [In reply to] Can't Post

Went to school not too far from Mill Hill, and commuted from Norwich and Cambridge every day - passing near Lakenheath & Bury everyday!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 6 2012, 10:15pm

Post #33 of 37 (105 views)
Shortcut
Small island <w> [In reply to] Can't Post

And when is as old as I am (and well-travelled) it's not as hard as it might be for such things. Have you ever been to The White Horse in Bury? GREAT food! Best escargot I've EVER eaten anywhere!
Gotta love Anglian "Greene King" beer and ale!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2012, 10:22pm

Post #34 of 37 (86 views)
Shortcut
I've never [In reply to] Can't Post

actually been into Bury Blush So that's a no hahaha!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 6 2012, 10:24pm

Post #35 of 37 (141 views)
Shortcut
"While the people in point C... [In reply to] Can't Post

are wondering what's so keen about points A or B that they want to be in such a hurry to get there." ---the late Douglas Adams from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 13 2012, 1:37pm

Post #36 of 37 (74 views)
Shortcut
I will take a half [In reply to] Can't Post

day off from work and see an afternoon show with my best friend and maybe my 8 year old granddaughter. She'd have to leave school early and I'm not sure her mom will want her to do that. Also, my granddaughter is not fond of 3D so if she goes with us we'll watch the 2d version and I'll see it another time in 3D.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Apr 14 2012, 3:44am

Post #37 of 37 (228 views)
Shortcut
Avidly [In reply to] Can't Post

.... probably by myself (or alone in a crowd anyway.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.