Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite Scientist
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Favorite Scientist
Isaac Newton 4 / 11%
Albert Einstein 6 / 16%
Neils Bohr 0 / 0%
Sigmund Freud 0 / 0%
Louis Pasteur 2 / 5%
Johannes Kepler 1 / 3%
Werner Heisenberg 0 / 0%
Ernest Rutherford 0 / 0%
Marie Curie 1 / 3%
William Harvey 0 / 0%
Emil Fischer 0 / 0%
Stephen Hawking 0 / 0%
Edward O. Wilson 0 / 0%
Ernst Haeckel 0 / 0%
Galileo 1 / 3%
Leonardo da Vinci 7 / 19%
Plato 2 / 5%
Aristotle 0 / 0%
James Maxwell 0 / 0%
My favorite isn't listed :( 6 / 16%
It's impossible to pick a favorite - they've all done so much 7 / 19%
I can't decide 0 / 0%
37 total votes

RoseCotton
Lorien

Mar 26 2012, 8:11am

Post #26 of 40 (197 views)
Shortcut
I would also liked to have voted for... [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Feynman and/or Carl Sagan.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 26 2012, 8:14am

Post #27 of 40 (191 views)
Shortcut
James Cameron [In reply to] Can't Post

Can James Cameron now be considered a scientist:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...environment-17503395

Wink I'd vote for him!

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 31 2012, 1:31am

Post #28 of 40 (185 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mind's Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation, John Kabat-Zinn Ed.

Buddha's Brain: the Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom, by Rick Hanson

The Brain and the Inner World: An Introduction to the Neuroscience of the Subjective Experience, by Solms & Turnbull

Thich Nhat Hanh gives a great description of how the Buddha came to these realizations in Old Path, White Clouds.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2012, 1:49am

Post #29 of 40 (177 views)
Shortcut
They sound great! I'll look into them. Thank you, Annael! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 31 2012, 2:54am

Post #30 of 40 (222 views)
Shortcut
I have a fascination with Einstein's life and his sense of life.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But i must mention Copernicus, Galileo and Darwin as well. They all were brave and brilliant souls for the dangerous resistance they faced in opening up or enlarging their respective fields.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 31 2012, 3:01am

Post #31 of 40 (186 views)
Shortcut
There is also, [In reply to] Can't Post

Tim White and Donald Johanson:)

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 31 2012, 3:07am

Post #32 of 40 (242 views)
Shortcut
And what about Professor Philip Brainard?\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Mar 31 2012, 1:18pm

Post #33 of 40 (226 views)
Shortcut
Well then, you must come up with a scientist worthy hairstyle. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or wear a bow tie.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 31 2012, 1:22pm

Post #34 of 40 (228 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not the clothes or hairstyle [In reply to] Can't Post

But I certainly have the facial hair to be a scientist Wink

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2012, 4:29am

Post #35 of 40 (268 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was familiar with their work with Lucy, but I admit, I wasn't familiar with the them. Thanks for correcting that :)

Patty
Immortal

Apr 2 2012, 3:08am

Post #36 of 40 (284 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't know about you, but I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Neil degrasse Tyson is hot!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2012, 7:11am

Post #37 of 40 (210 views)
Shortcut
New "Cosmos" with Neil Degrasse Tyson as host? [In reply to] Can't Post

I read that somewhere but I can't remember where, so I don't know how reliable that bit of news is. But I would really love it if it's true!

Patty
Immortal

Apr 5 2012, 1:43pm

Post #38 of 40 (182 views)
Shortcut
That would be awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me know if you hear more.Sly

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Apr 6 2012, 1:13pm

Post #39 of 40 (160 views)
Shortcut
Hans Bethe! And...Tycho Brahe? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a soft spot for Hans Bethe, theoretical physicist and Nobel prize-winner. He left Nazi Germany, came to the States, and was the head of the theoretical division in the Manhattan project. After helping to create nuclear bombs, he was so horrified by the consequences that he devoted the rest of his career to fighting nuclear proliferation, the arms race, and war in general. He also had a great "mad-scientist" hair-do; not as great as Einstein's, but pretty darn good.

And just for fun there's always Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe! I swear, they need to make a made-for-TV movie about the guy; the stories surrounding him are beyond bizarre. He lost his nose in a duel over a math proof! He kept an elk (or moose or reindeer, depending on whom you ask) as a pet, and it died when it fell down the stairs after he fed it...vodka, maybe? He hired a little person, whom he believed to be clairvoyant, to live at his house and sit under the table. And legend has it that he died when he refused to excuse himself during an important dinner, and his bladder exploded. (I'm not even sure if it's possible for a bladder to explode, but it just adds to the weirdness surrounding the man). They also found traces of mercury in his body, so there are also rumors that someone poisoned him. He was loathed by the people who worked with and for him. On his deathbed, he made his student, Johannes Keppler, promise that he would dedicate his life to disproving Copernicus. Keppler agreed, and then actually dedicated his life to verifying that Copernicus was right.

And there you have the grand total of what I remember from college astronomy! Wink

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 6 2012, 4:05pm

Post #40 of 40 (518 views)
Shortcut
Three way tie... [In reply to] Can't Post

Einstein, Dr, Hawking, and how could you forget Dr Carl Sagan?!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.