Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Line scouting for The Lonely Mountain?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2007, 12:19pm

Post #1 of 14 (1257 views)
Shortcut
New Line scouting for The Lonely Mountain? Can't Post

Not sure if this should be here in Main or in Movies (someone please let me know), but anyway, I happened upon a very very interesting article today that said:

I have a friend who lives in New Zealand near lake Tuanna and he said that a few people from New Line came to inspect the area and asked to go on their land. My friend asked why and they said they want to see if it would be a good place for the Lonely Mountain. They seemed really pleased with the location.

You can read this at article here at: http://derhobbit-film.de/indexengl.shtml

This seems to be good news, but does it mean that Peter Jackson is (or is not?) going to do The Hobbit?

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires."

FarFromHome
Valinor

Sep 26 2007, 12:54pm

Post #2 of 14 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Interesting if it's true [In reply to] Can't Post

But why would New Line be doing the scouting? Wouldn't PJ's own crew be more likely to do this if he's involved? And if he's not involved, why would they shoot in New Zealand at all?

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2007, 12:58pm

Post #3 of 14 (967 views)
Shortcut
My very same thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea what this meant... does it imply NL are going ahead with The Hobbit without PJ on board? Or are they doing some preliminary scouting since PJ will be in Pennsylvania for The Lovely Bones? It seems strange, but then I don't know much about Hollywood, you think Exec. Producers do location scouting? Then maybe they're laying the groundwork while PJ's away. Else it just means were in for a rude shock pretty soon. Shocked

Like you said, its all assuming this is true ofc.

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires."

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 26 2007, 2:29pm

Post #4 of 14 (981 views)
Shortcut
My first thought was... [In reply to] Can't Post

..are the location scouts really going to divulge not just a movie but an exact location for that movie: i.e. Lonely Mountain?

I can imagine someone in that position phrasing it, "a location for the movie, The Hobbit", but to say, "Lonely Mountain" presumes they actually use the terminology from the book/movie. Now, geeks do this all the time w/o realizing it marks them as a geek. Non-geeks do not do this. So if a geek were to make up something a non-geek would say, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it phrased like that.

But, really... with all the controversy and hoopla, do you really think someone is going to admit the movie their scouting for. I think there's a certain secrecy involved in any preliminary work for a movie let alone this one that has been in the news recently.

In the last week or so I've run across quite a few posts (not in terms of the Hobbit but in other areas) that I believe were specifically designed to create a rumor. That is, the poster wasn't asking about something they had heard or found, they were actually trying to be source one for a rumor. One actually admitted it when I called him out. These aren't anyone with an agenda other than to amuse themselves and feel important. And this is not, in any way meant to imply that Earl is doing this. I've had contact with Earl (via soundtrack issues) outside this board and he's an upstanding, responsible person. But I do highly doubt that original source for this story.

But then, I'm a doubting, non-trustful cynic re: these things. ;^)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2007, 7:28pm

Post #5 of 14 (955 views)
Shortcut
But... but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we already have a lonely mountain...

http://www.ronlaughlin.net/Taranaki12.JPG

*lip wobble*

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Sep 26 2007, 7:41pm

Post #6 of 14 (936 views)
Shortcut
And a perfectly good space surrounding it to be [In reply to] Can't Post

Lake Town.

For Gondor!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2007, 7:53pm

Post #7 of 14 (943 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

That looks quite cool, just the small problem of the proximities being wastelands in the book. Nothin a matte painting cannot fix, though.

For some strange reason I have always imagined Erebor with the silhouette in Paramount's logo (The Mont Blanc?), I guess it's just a matter of publicity.

There must be quite a few places where a Lonely Mountain could be characterized... it's not *that* uncommon. After all, two of the most famous mountains in the world stand in tha middle of nowhere: the Kilimajaro and Mount Fuji.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Elven
Valinor

Sep 27 2007, 5:37am

Post #8 of 14 (925 views)
Shortcut
Hi ... Im Thorin from New Line ... :D// [In reply to] Can't Post

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2007, 9:48pm

Post #9 of 14 (900 views)
Shortcut
The story was taken down... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug took it out form thehobbitfilm site. Was it just because it was not believable or because someone requested him to do it? Could anyone make further inquiries?

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 27 2007, 9:52pm

Post #10 of 14 (892 views)
Shortcut
"Could anyone make further inquiries?" [In reply to] Can't Post

*looks around*

Well... you could.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2007, 3:05am

Post #11 of 14 (883 views)
Shortcut
Well, I could... [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right, I guess what I meant is that some people might have better contacts or could get better information from Smaug, due to a long term business relationship (Talking about Xoanon, Mr. Cere, and the administrators of the site).

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 28 2007, 6:58am

Post #12 of 14 (887 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... seems like Magpie was right [In reply to] Can't Post

Me, in my naive little, wishful ways, hoped something good was on the horizon. Crazy Supposedly not. Apologies to all, and I think I might shoot a mail to Smaug and see if I can get an answer.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 28 2007, 7:34am

Post #13 of 14 (914 views)
Shortcut
So I mailed Smaug... [In reply to] Can't Post

... asking him if there was a reason (that he could divulge) as to why he removed that particular bit of information. He's a seemingly nice person with good email etiquette, who replied quickly. And here's part of his mail concerning the report in question:

I removed it, because I didn't have any possibility to prove it. And this guy who told me about it didn't answer any more, so I took it from my site until I can get at least a bit more informations. As long as I can't get more inofs about it, I have to assume it's wrong.

(This post was edited by Earl Ignatius Carvalho on Sep 28 2007, 7:37am)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 28 2007, 1:12pm

Post #14 of 14 (904 views)
Shortcut
Well, thanks for following through with it, EIC.... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's just one of the many things I love about LotR, all the rumors. It's really kind of fun, even if it keeps us in the dark.Crazy

For Gondor!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.