Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which part of the extended lotr trilogy is your favourite.???

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 8 2012, 12:16pm

Post #1 of 15 (3621 views)
Shortcut
Which part of the extended lotr trilogy is your favourite.??? Can't Post

Fellowship of the ring part 1
Fellowship of the ring part 2
The two towers part 1
The two towers part 2
The return of the king part 1
The return of the king part 2

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 8 2012, 12:22pm

Post #2 of 15 (873 views)
Shortcut
I love all the new/extended scenes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm one of the people that would love for 7 hour versions of each film - I don't care about the pacing, I just want as much Middle-Earth as I can get!

I don't tend to separate, or define, each film as part 1 or part 2, so really can't say which one is "better". A particular favourite of mine would have to be the gift giving scene in Lothlorien. Absolutely beatufil and well done!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2012, 4:49pm

Post #3 of 15 (778 views)
Shortcut
Two towers part 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta love all the Rohan stuff. It has the strongest, most mythical and vivid feeling.

At its heart, heroism is growing adult. Growing adult is defying the fears gained in childhood.
-Tom Lundberg

Nightingale
Rohan

Mar 8 2012, 5:02pm

Post #4 of 15 (640 views)
Shortcut
Favourite scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

although it's all of them really. Wink Afraid I can't differentiate between parts.

The Passing of the Elves,
The Houses of Healing
and that argument between Aragorn and Boromir on the banks of the Anduin.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

Eredhion
The Shire

Mar 8 2012, 7:26pm

Post #5 of 15 (625 views)
Shortcut
The drinking game [In reply to] Can't Post

between Legolas and Gimli at Rohan. Maybe there are better scenes but this one was the first thing that came to my mind.

“Not lightly do the leaves of Lórien fall”

Patty
Immortal

Mar 8 2012, 10:36pm

Post #6 of 15 (649 views)
Shortcut
It would be between.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The gift-giving scene and when Faramir wades out to the boat containing Boromir's body.

Permanent address: Into the West

Elizabeth
Valinor

Mar 9 2012, 6:43am

Post #7 of 15 (594 views)
Shortcut
That's one of my least favorites. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's demeaning to both Gimli and Legolas, and takes precious seconds away from scenes that should have been included and weren't.

Is Tolkien a good writer, or amateurish and dated? Join the discussion of Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon by Brian Rosebury, now playing in the Reading Room!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Elizabeth
Valinor

Mar 9 2012, 6:48am

Post #8 of 15 (861 views)
Shortcut
The gift-giving scene [In reply to] Can't Post

...really, really should have been in the TE. Criminal to have left that out. The scene at Gilraen's tomb was lovely, too.

Really, I treasure all the extended scenes, with only a few exceptions:

* the Drinking Game in RotK is a gratuitous waste of time.

* the "rat-brain soup" scene in TTT is unnecessarily demeaning to Eowyn, although I liked the dialog that preceded the soup bit.

* The scene in RotK where Aragorn observed the sleeping Eowyn was ridiculous in several dimensions.

Is Tolkien a good writer, or amateurish and dated? Join the discussion of Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon by Brian Rosebury, now playing in the Reading Room!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 9 2012, 5:03pm

Post #9 of 15 (502 views)
Shortcut
The Houses of Healing scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which, oddly, is also the most disappointing of the added scenes, since it's cut so short and not done justice to at all.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Patty
Immortal

Mar 9 2012, 7:47pm

Post #10 of 15 (1112 views)
Shortcut
The gift giving scene should indeed have been included, along with [In reply to] Can't Post

the extended Hobbiton scene-where Bilbo is introducing "Hobbits" and their ways. IMHO, that would have been the scene to make non-Tolkien fans come to relate to and care about the hobbits immediately.

I agree about the drinking game. I would have left it and the extended "skulls" scene out, but I don't mind them.

Permanent address: Into the West

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2012, 6:11am

Post #11 of 15 (559 views)
Shortcut
I loved any scene that showed more character interaction and development. // [In reply to] Can't Post

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2012, 4:41pm

Post #12 of 15 (410 views)
Shortcut
Going by part, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd go with FotR Part One (and the whole movie in general). But I would say part one on account of the additional Bilbo scenes, adding the flavor that we are still in Bilbo's story (much like the books). It isn't until about half hour in that Frodo's story picks up, and the bridge to it is just fantastic.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Mar 13 2012, 1:51am

Post #13 of 15 (427 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say [In reply to] Can't Post

The return of the king part 1 has my favorite added scene, Saruman (why P.J. cut it I have no idea). Also the siege of Gondor was better, however ROTK part 1 has my least favorite and only hated scene in the film Gandalf coughing his lungs out while smoking now I don't smoke but come on P.J. you didn't have to stop the film for politically correct anti-smoking propaganda .

Arwen Skywalker
Lorien

Mar 14 2012, 2:58am

Post #14 of 15 (630 views)
Shortcut
What don't you like about Eowyn's dream? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a theory among us romantics that Eowyn and Faramir had the same dream. What makes the connection so interesting is that they interpret it so differently.

Marionette
Rohan

Mar 22 2012, 9:19pm

Post #15 of 15 (3032 views)
Shortcut
The Return of the King Part I and II and The Two Towers: [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite:: Faramir and Eowyn Houses of Healing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Two Towers:: The Sons of Denethor

I like all the extended scenes, the whole Return of the King extended edition is great.
But at that time, those two were quite important to me

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.