Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Personal experiences getting Rings to IPOD and then to car

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 16 2007, 7:03pm

Views: 123
Shortcut
Personal experiences getting Rings to IPOD and then to car [In reply to] Can't Post

My objective was to get the whole Inglis LR set onto my (30GB) IPod. So I first copied the original disks for backup and then copied them as mp3s to my hard drive. The naming was the most difficult because first you have 46 disks and 1084 tracks but also because ITunes works easiest if all tracks are in order. So you must name each track in some consecutive way. ITunes found the name by itself for about half (which must be slightly edited). I chose numbers for the disks and letters for the tracks, 1A to 46X, and then added the Chapter name (ie, "Long Expected Party") to each one. BTW, chapters can cross multiple disks. It's easy if you use a program like ZTREE, which doesn't go through Windows File Manager. But it (the renaming) can be done easy enough by c&p (cut and paste).

So summarizing, it's easiest for later work if the tracks are all in one directory (folder) and are named alphabetically start to finish, ie, A1 to 46x (which is the last track of the last Appendix). Once downloaded to your computer, you'll probably be working in the ITunes Library. But sometimes you can't move tracks around in the Library. If so, you'll have to create a Playlist and move the tracks to the Playlist first. There you can move tracks to the order you like them.

Then upload the whole Playlist (1084 tracks!) to the IPOD. You're stuck with your IPod track order you now have. If something's out of order or otherwise you want to change anything, you'll have to first make the change in your ITunes Playlist (software), then delete the Playlist on the IPod (hardware) and then re-upload the new revised Playlist (software>hardware). You might have to do this a few times, what with 1084 tracks. It gets to be second nature.

-------
Then to listen to your IPod in your car, it's a piece of cake. Most folks don't have a new Lexis with an IPod jack - that's the easiest. But many folks DO have a cassette player. You can get from Radio Shack a pseudo cassette that is just a Line In device, that is, it looks like a cassette but the guts are electronics and there's a 1/8" jack coming out on a wire. Just plug that into your IPOD.

To make a clean-machine install, I got a small square of h-duty sticky-back velcro and used it to stick the IPod belt-mount to the dashboard hand's reach next to the radio/cassette. The sticky velcro is just to help mount it - you don't pull the velcro on and off because the IPod case has a button on the back that snaps to the belt mount! Snap-in -- snap out very easy. Then plug the cassette line-in to the top and instant IPod with radio control. Be sure to get a car-lighter charger so you don't run out of juice just as Gollum bites a finger.

Sounds like a lot of work but it's really not. But you can then listen to the LR to your heart's content whenever you drive and not be insulted by those flaming liberals on NPR.

I'll be glad to answer any questions private or public about this if anyone wants to try it.

For I also am a steward. Did you not know?

Subject User Time
Audio Books priell3 Send a private message to priell3 Feb 24 2007, 2:18pm
    no, I have the BBC dramatization a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Feb 24 2007, 3:08pm
        I have The Silmarillion on unabridged cassette. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Feb 27 2007, 6:59am
    Strange that you should mention those... dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 24 2007, 3:35pm
    I have the Inglis LOTR drogo Send a private message to drogo Feb 24 2007, 4:46pm
        **hands drogo a tissue a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Feb 24 2007, 7:43pm
            It's worth it still drogo Send a private message to drogo Feb 24 2007, 8:23pm
                I have that, and love it a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Feb 24 2007, 8:54pm
                    Those are wonderful recordings. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Feb 24 2007, 9:16pm
                        I agree Wynnie Send a private message to Wynnie Feb 24 2007, 9:44pm
                        For collectors who still have a record player/turntable drogo Send a private message to drogo Feb 25 2007, 10:21pm
        That's the ones I have entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Feb 25 2007, 2:39am
    LotR & Silmarilion both on CD Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Feb 24 2007, 6:24pm
        Ditto DoN: LOTR and the Sil on CD Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Feb 24 2007, 7:02pm
    not those, but ... Wynnie Send a private message to Wynnie Feb 24 2007, 9:37pm
    BBC Lord of the Rings radio play is our favorite Idril Celebrindal Send a private message to Idril Celebrindal Feb 26 2007, 5:01pm
    Great Topic Daeorn AldalůmŽ Send a private message to Daeorn AldalůmŽ Feb 26 2007, 6:52pm
    Personal experiences getting Rings to IPOD and then to car Pallando Send a private message to Pallando Mar 16 2007, 7:03pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.